View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJack
But the TMO won't have true broadband speed correct? EVDO is only for CDMA and TMO only recently added EDGE. Following the financial postings is seems TMO has been a cash cow for T Mobile International and their is a conundrum within their senior management over the capital expenditures it will require to upgrade across the US. If the make the investment the profit returns will be long term while near term the balance sheet suffers. I don't understand the delay, personally, as by the time the get it rolled out the competitors will have had such a significant head start. I am a TMO customer and I find it disconcerting.
TMO has rolled out their EDGE network to approximately 90% of their US towers. This is 150-180kbps. The Verizon EVDO, which is substantially more expensive, will run at 300-500kbps, with real-world tests being around the median of those. Neither are 'broadband' for what we've come to love from our 1.5-5Mbps connections at home. In the sense of a true 3G network, there won't be one for some time in the US, from what I've read.