Originally Posted by alevine
I downloaded and installed Lexspell, a small well received spellchecker program for the native Blackberry email program. Unfortunately, I got an "uncaught exception:java.lang.Error" after installation. Tried removing the batter for a hard re-start but this did nothing. If I remove the Lexspell program, then the error message leaves as well. I have emailed Beiks who produces this product. Theya re looking in to the issue but suggest that it has to do with Blackberry and limited resources. I have friends who experienced the same error message after installing e-Spell. Any suggestions on where i might turn next or how I migth fix it? What does this message mean to the average Blackbery user anyway? Thanks
I just answered that in LexSpell's thread at pinstack where you had posted as well (and no, I do not work for pinstack).
Simply put, I believe this has to do with required system resources. In LexSpell's case they are admittedly large, because LexSpell needs instant access to all of its database in order to do reasonably fast proofing.
Same exception may actually even show in applications that have nothing to do with it, as someone above describes. I.e. your phone or messages application starts crashing when the problem actually is another application eating up all available resources.
I do not think there is a silver bullet to this problem.
if you want your BlackBerry to be rock stable, do not install anything on it (reportedly, that's what Steve Jobs is about to do with the iPhone).
if you want it to break in 24 hours, start installing any applicaiton that comes your way.
Somewhere in-between is the balance of productivity and reliability that everyone needs to find for themselves.
Generally, the balance line moves to your benefit every time RIM comes up with a new release of the OS.
From where I stand, they are doing reasonably good job improving it.