Originally Posted by teamcrn
I have gotten this service to work. my only issue is i logged in to webmail and only my contacts were synced not my calendar. Even though it said it was on the handheld.
I have this problem every single time I upgrade the OS on my 8320 with the SyncJe client, I'm guessing they (sync clients) use the same coding/API mechanism; they basically lose "sync anchors" somehow. Here's how I now address the issue to just make it work (note: didn't happen on my Pearl 8100, guessing it's an OS bug on the 8320):
Back up your device first! (read that again - go back up your device as normal)
1) using the desktop manager set up to sync your calendar to a comma separated file in Export mode (not Import or Sync)
2) sync your calendar, the above file from #1 will be populated with data (open it in notepad and check)
3) on your device, place the Calendar into Agenda view (list view), highlight the very last Date bar (not a calendar entry, the date bar above your last entry) and Menu -> Delete Prior. This erases your calendar on the device. Clean up any stray items left over by hand (delete).
4) run the sync tool and make sure it's "clean".
5) using the Desktop Manager sync, change the Calendar from Export to Import, and re-import your calendar from the file created in step #1
6) sync your calendar using the tool, should push everything up to the server NOTE
: Step #1 only exports current and future calendar entries, and does not preserve past entries - they will be lost. At first this bugged me, now I just deal with it and go on with life.