I'm a keen golfer and had been strongly considering buying one of the GPS distance aids, like Sky Caddie, to take with me on the course. I began looking around for a golf app that would work on my 8800 since it has the built-in GPS unit and I came across Greenfinder by Itinerant Software: GreenFinder - golf course GPS rangefinder
They offer 5 free downloads to test out the software before committing to buying it, an annual fee of $35CAD per year. The course I most often play at wasn't mapped so I sent them an e-mail and about 4 days later it had been mapped. I went out to play last weekend and these are my thoughts:
1) Easy to install, easy to navigate through, downloaded course in about 20 seconds
2) I had full signal strength my entire round
3) Battery went from 85% pre-round to 70% post-round (about 5 hrs)
4) Yardage was very accurate. I compared to sprinkler heads and tee box markers on several holes and any difference was usually only 1-3 yards.
5) They mark most hazards - bunkers, lakes - but only greenside bunkers that extend beyond several yards from the green. Woule like to see a slight improvement on this aspect.
Overall, I was hugely impressed. To be able to take advantage of the built-in GPS unit on the phone, still be able to use the phone as a phone and e-mail while using the software . . . . saved myself over $300 that I would have spent buying a Sky Caddie or the like. I would encourage avid golfers to give them a look and at least take advantage of the 5 free trial rounds.
BTW, I AM IN NOW WAY AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY, JUST IMPRESSED WITH THE PRODUCT THEY HAVE CREATED!!!