BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8820
OS: OS X 10.5
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telia DK
Posts: 25
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 3rd party email clients not using BES or BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there

Does there exist any good 3rd party email client that's not using BES or BIS? I need in order to access my gmail apps account. The one from Google doesn't work on my 8820 :( It just stopps at "0KB" anyone with the same error?

I'm running on a plain GPRS/EDGE dataplan since my carrier doesn't support BlackBerry. The only one here in Denmark is TDC but their plans are not for private individuals just for people who is running a business :(

So can I find a 3'rd party email client that supports either IMAP or Exchange that is NOT using BES or BIS? Please help me out.

Thanks

Rasmus
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

LogicMail for BlackBerry – Trac
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,035
Post Thanks: 51
Thanked 304 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Your other choice is to install Opera Mini and use that to access GMail through the web.
Offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
tbhuang2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.169
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 261
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You could also try Funambol.
__________________
BB Wishlist:
-Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution
-Better integrated alarm (on legacy devices)
-Threaded SMS
Offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 188
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Is there any chance someone can do a step by step example how to set up a IMAP and Pop 3 account with this software? The documentation at the sight is hard to understand. Thanks in advance.
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
tbhuang2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.169
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 261
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can use this guide as a template for what to properly put in the fields. Be sure to uncheck MDS boxes as those are used for BES users.

I just tried it and successfully retrieved my Gmail, however I was disappointed after testing to find out that it is NOT push nor does it properly sync like IMAP should.
The funny thing is, it allows you to configure From, Reply-to, and even signature fields (awesome!); however, replying or composing any email cannot be found in any menu function! This is not a very useful program.

Funambol is a little better, but also suffers from some flaws: some emails do get pushed, but not all. The syncing of the read/unread status is a little finicky since it's not really being pushed. It also lets you compose and reply.

I only tried setting up IMAP with these two apps. Perhaps POP might be better.
__________________
BB Wishlist:
-Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution
-Better integrated alarm (on legacy devices)
-Threaded SMS

Last edited by tbhuang2 : 07-10-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 188
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
You can use this guide as a template for what to properly put in the fields. Be sure to uncheck MDS boxes as those are used for BES users.

I just tried it and successfully retrieved my Gmail, however I was disappointed after testing to find out that it is NOT push nor does it properly sync like IMAP should.
The funny thing is, it allows you to configure From, Reply-to, and even signature fields (awesome!); however, replying or composing any email cannot be found in any menu function! This is not a very useful program.

Funambol is a little better, but also suffers from some flaws: some emails do get pushed, but not all. The syncing of the read/unread status is a little finicky since it's not really being pushed. It also lets you compose and reply.

I only tried setting up IMAP with these two apps. Perhaps POP might be better.
I guess I am going to stick with Blackberry email set up, its just for personal use anyway and it's mostly reliable (for me anyway). Until they make Logicmail or the other one better. It would be nice to have something that didn't go through another step (like the Blackberry email set up) that could be another potential point of failure. Or at least have some indication in an email saying Blackberry push email is down and being worked on right on our blackberry.
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
rivviepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san francisco
Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 2,166
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
I just tried it and successfully retrieved my Gmail, however I was disappointed after testing to find out that it is NOT push nor does it properly sync like IMAP should.
It does "sync like IMAP should", but IMAP IDLE (aka "push") and automatic refreshing are currently not supported; the author is working on them. You can read a little about it here:

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/discussion/3/3

...as well as other discussion threads and in the project roadmap. You can see the 2.0 tree he's begun working on, which is an architectural shift which will allow better threading options:

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/wiki/design

One of the benefits of this redesign will be that IMAP IDLE will be able to be properly supported.

Quote:
The funny thing is, it allows you to configure From, Reply-to, and even signature fields (awesome!); however, replying or composing any email cannot be found in any menu function! This is not a very useful program.
Are you using the latest 1.01 version? These options are available and indeed do work, I use them with my work IMAP account without any problem. While reading an actual email, click the menu button and you will see Reply and Reply To All as choices, as well as Compose and Forward. Compose is also available from your main Inbox message list as a menu option.

Hope this helps...
__________________
[ Linux & BlackBerry ] http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/
Offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
tbhuang2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.169
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 261
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Are you using the latest 1.01 version? These options are available and indeed do work, I use them with my work IMAP account without any problem. While reading an actual email, click the menu button and you will see Reply and Reply To All as choices, as well as Compose and Forward. Compose is also available from your main Inbox message list as a menu option.
I was indeed using version 1.01. I already deleted it but from what I remember, when viewing an email or my inbox the only context menus available to me included things like Properties and Delete, but I just couldn't find any compose, reply, forward, etc... very strange!
Another minor gripe is the program doesn't yet support notifications of any kind.
__________________
BB Wishlist:
-Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution
-Better integrated alarm (on legacy devices)
-Threaded SMS
Offline  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 12
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
I was indeed using version 1.01. I already deleted it but from what I remember, when viewing an email or my inbox the only context menus available to me included things like Properties and Delete, but I just couldn't find any compose, reply, forward, etc... very strange!
Another minor gripe is the program doesn't yet support notifications of any kind.
You need to set up an outgoing profile separately. that tripped me up.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.