BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/)
-   -   Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/142672-signal-location-utility-blackberry-beta.html)

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:00 PM

Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA...
 
Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry Readme

Introduction:

SignalLocBB is a FREE utility that captures and displays details about your network connection and location.

This is the first Beta release so feedback is appreciated.

Links:

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry: SourceForge.net: Signal-Location Utility for BlackBerry
OTA Download: http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad



Exported data in Google Earth...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features:

* Displays network information such as signal level, services supported,
cell site identification, channel and, if supported by your device and
network, the latitude and longitude of the current cell site, if available.

Service Indicators:
V Voice
D Data
R Roaming
MDS MDS Connectivity through BES
WAP WAP Connectivity through carrier WAP
1XEV
EVDO
GPRS
EDGE
UMTS
SOS
DOP Data Service Opetational
DSUSP Data Service Suspended

Cell Site Id:
CDMA: SystemID-NetworkID-BaseStationID
GSM: RoutingAreaCode-LocationAreaCode-CellID-BaseStationId

Network Details screen provides all available information for the network
and cell site.

* Displays GPS information such as latitude, longitude, altitude, course and
speed. If cell site location is also available, the course and distance
from your current location to the cell site is also displayed.

* Both internal and BlueTooth GPS units are supported. Basically, if Google
Maps and BlackBerry Maps can use a device, so can SignalLoc.

* Can display locations in BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps.

* Can save cell site and location info as they change. Each change of cell
site can be automatically saved and the user can configure how often to
take a current location snapshot nased on distance travelled.

* Exports cell site and location info in KML or CSV format that can be easily
imported to Google Earth and other mapping programs, spreadsheets, etc.
The data can be exported to the clipboard or a media card.

* Displays device information such as battery strength, voltage, temperature,
flash and ram statistics.

* User selectable Imperial or Metric units.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation:

Your device MUST be running BlackBerry OS 4.2.1 or greater.

For OTA installation, visit the OTA download link above.

For desktop installation, download the .zip file and extract it. Open the
Desktop Manager and use the Application Loader wizard to load the program to
the handheld.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:09 PM

OTA link doesn't work.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038285)
OTA link doesn't work.

Typo. :oops:
Fixed.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:15 PM

Desktop Manager install version has no .cod included and .alx file doesn't point to a valid .cod anyway.

Seems this is not quite ready yet.


Edit: It was a blonde moment! Found the right download.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038291)
Typo. :oops:
Fixed.

Edit....trying again.

SMF 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

This looks sweet (and geeky). Downloading to try it now.


OTA failed. Trying desktop....

Thanks,
SMF

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038292)
Desktop Manager install version has no .cod included and .alx file doesn't point to a valid .cod anyway.

Seems this is not quite ready yet.

Are you sure? I can see the cod and alx just fine and DM finds it ok.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMF (Post 1038294)
This looks sweet (and geeky). Downloading to try it now.


OTA failed. Trying desktop....

Thanks,
SMF

Did you happen to catch it before I fixed the OTA link?

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:28 PM

Ok, got it working. It would be nice to be able to see the locations on Google Maps as well as BBMaps. But on GSM I don't get location anyway so moot point for me, I guess.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038303)
Ok, got it working. It would be nice to be able to see the locations on Google Maps as well as BBMaps. But on GSM I don't get location anyway so moot point for me, I guess.

There doesn't appear to be an invokation api for Google Maps but I'm still looking.

The 8320 doesn't have a GPS?

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038298)
Are you sure? I can see the cod and alx just fine and DM finds it ok.

In the zip file I dowloaded from sourceforge it contains a bunch of .java files but no .cod. The .alx references a generic .cod which doesn't show in the list of files.

I did get the ota to work after you edited it.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:32 PM

No GPS on 8320. I have a BT GPS but don't have it on right now. I was interested in the cell tower info and device info.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038305)
In the zip file I dowloaded from sourceforge it contains a bunch of .java files but no .cod. The .alx references a generic .cod which doesn't show in the list of files.

I did get the ota to work after you edited it.

Thats because you downloaded the source zip file instead of the one in the big green box that says "Download" :)

SMF 07-29-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038300)
Did you happen to catch it before I fixed the OTA link?

Must have. Downloading now onto my 8820 and report back.

OK - it's working. I'll have to play with it more when I can stay outside. I got a cell tower and gps lock but the map didn't come up correctly (blank screen).

SMF

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038308)
Thats because you downloaded the source zip file instead of the one in the big green box that says "Download" :)

Well, um....I was just testing you! Yeah, testing you. You passed.

:oops:


...not buying it are you? Found the big green download button! :-)

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:45 PM

This is a neat app. Good work!

RemyJ 07-29-2008 07:17 PM

Thanks! Let me know if there's anything else I can add.

PDM 07-29-2008 07:52 PM

Very informative app. It would be nice to name/rename "Cell Sites".

RemyJ 07-29-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDM (Post 1038368)
Very informative app. It would be nice to name/rename "Cell Sites".

Good suggestion. I'll work on it.

rdinterman 07-29-2008 08:18 PM

Kind of a fun little app.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.