BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/)
-   -   CardKaller BETA - calling card dialer app (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/179701-cardkaller-beta-calling-card-dialer-app.html)

aly@cardkaller 03-05-2009 11:08 PM

CardKaller BETA - calling card dialer app
 
We need beta testers for a new BB app. Beta testers who provide feedback will be provided with an activation code to unlock the final version.

CardKaller is dialer software that makes it easy to use calling cards with your BlackBerry. The software automates dialing so that you can easily make long distance calls without having to remember calling card access numbers, PIN numbers or the phone number to be called.

How it works:

1. Pick a contact from your BlackBerry address book
2. Choose a calling card
3. CardKaller does the rest

Please give the new app a try and let us know your thoughts!

Download from cardkaller.com

Known issues so far:
Curve - issues with making calls from the address book
Storm - we have not designed for the storm so we are curious to see the results :)

JSanders 03-05-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aly@cardkaller (Post 1309619)
Known issues so far:
Curve - issues with making calls from the address book
Storm - we have not designed for the storm so we are curious to see the results :)

Welcome to the BBForums.

So... your app works on the 9000 Bold, 8900, 8700, 81xx and 7100 and below?

aly@cardkaller 03-06-2009 09:06 PM

Well is was meant to work on devices with the operating system 4.1 and above.

We tested it so far on the 8100 Pearl, 8700, 7200 and Curve devices (worked on one of them but as noted did not work on another one running OS v4.5.0.99).

saqer 03-07-2009 12:43 AM

salam ya aly,

I currently use berrydialer which does everything your app does, but I would like to give your app a spin and provide you some feedback. To trump the competition you ought to try and make the app act as a "net" so whenever a certain number is called and specific criteria are met (e.g. dialing a number that begins with 011) the calling card is activated. I dont' know if this will work because of blackberry OS limitations but perhaps it is possible.

berrydialer also has an issue with making calls from "call log" input field. If you can overcome this, it'll make for much easier calling.

aly@cardkaller 03-08-2009 11:48 AM

Here's an update on the beta:

We found that on some operating system versions, the user will need to hard reboot (remove battery, re-insert and bootup) after installation OR after unlocking the application with the activation key. Otherwise the app won't work. We don't know why. We are working on solving this.

We also found that the application doesn't seem to install on the the Peal 8130. When I try to select the .alx file, it gives the following message in the desktop manager: "no additional applications for your device were found. "

Sagar - thanks for your comments and idea. We'll look into that and see what is possible with the blackberry OS. That would be pretty slick.

With regard to berrydialer, our app is similar but has some distinguishing features:
- graphical user interface makes card setup easier
- additional steps features allows you to add steps if your calling card has extra menu options (e.g. dial 1 for english, 2 for french)
- you can write you own sequence for cases where you need it. For example, you can do the following:
accessnumber,,,,N,,,,callingcardnumber,,,,pin#
(commas represent pauses, N represent the number you want to call)
- we offer a free trial so users can try out the app before having to plunk down cash

funkym 03-08-2009 08:09 PM

I am using BerryDialer for years now. It works great and saved me a lot of money.

What can your app do better?

GadgetGuru72 03-08-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkym (Post 1312477)
I am using BerryDialer for years now. It works great and saved me a lot of money.

I have been using BerryDialer as well, and I agree that it works really well. However, it most certainly does NOT save you any money.

It has always bothered me that they advertise the program as saving you money.

If you are going to make an international telephone call, it is the CALLING CARD that saves you money. BerryDialer (and, I would assume, CardKaller) makes it easier to use the Calling Card.

However, neither BerryDialer nor CardKaller will save you a penny.

saqer 03-08-2009 09:24 PM

I think they mean it saves you money indirectly because of convenience rather than having to dial internationally directly.

There are also a number of personalized "calling card apps" in addition to berrydialer and cardkaller: iskoot (skype), cellularld (mobilesphere), MGT (myglobaltalk), mobiletribe (jajah).

Also, at one point in time berrydialer was given out for free.

Finally, @aly you ought to check this app out for Windows Mobile called Magicall. If you can incorporate those features into your app you would have the most powerful callingcard/answering machine app for Blackberry.

GadgetGuru72 03-08-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saqer (Post 1312555)
I think they mean it saves you money indirectly because of convenience rather than having to dial internationally directly.

I understand what they are trying to say, but I just don't think they say it very well.

These programs save you TIME, not MONEY. They save you TIME in dialing a number with your calling card, and the calling card saves you MONEY.

Of course, they always say TIME is MONEY, so in some sense by saving you time I suppose it's fair to say that it saves you money.

aly@cardkaller 03-09-2009 10:16 PM

Well GadgetGuru72 you may be technically correct. However, I am LAZY and often found myself not bothering to use my Worldline flat rate ($5 per month in Canada) to make calls until I had an app to do it. Takes too long, too many numbers to remember.

So in my case it does save money (and time).

GadgetGuru72 03-09-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aly@cardkaller (Post 1313827)
Well GadgetGuru72 you may be technically correct. However, I am LAZY and often found myself not bothering to use my Worldline flat rate ($5 per month in Canada) to make calls until I had an app to do it. Takes too long, too many numbers to remember.

So in my case it does save money (and time).

Good point.

My comments were not directed towards CardKaller, though. I was commenting on BerryDialer, because their advertising materials focus on saving you money, and I always thought that was an odd statement.

Your point makes complete sense, though, so I guess both statements are accurate.

dualsub2006 03-19-2009 09:23 PM

Well, free registaration code or not, here goes:

1. Hit the registration key by mistaken. It said expired even though the software was on phone for less than 20 minutes. The software worked just fine.
2. It would be great if you didn't have to scroll down and select the only card that you have set up. The software could make the assumption that I want to use the only card that I entered and place the call based on that assumption.
3. If we can't have #2 then at least make that card the active selection when a user hits place call and the select card window opens. It is kind of pointless to have to select your only card AND to have to scroll down 2 places to do it.
4. Reorder the buttons in the main screen. Given that every time the application is launched the top left tile is selected it would be great if that could be the make a call button. I promise you that every time I launch the program I won't want to add a card but I will want to make a call. Move make a call to the first position.
5. Have the BlackBerry switch back to the dialer app when a call that is placed through the dialer is ended, if this is even possible.
6. Provide a menu option to close or exit the program. After install my Pearl was non- stop with the spinning hour glass until I did a battery pull
7. On the subject of menu items, I think you could do with one button in the middle of the main screen; Make A Call. Add, edit and delete a card could all be menu items.

Only had it installed for an hour so that is all that I really have.

koleary19067 03-20-2009 11:59 AM

Not working too well with a bold. Scrolling does not work

funkym 03-20-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koleary19067 (Post 1327151)
Not working too well with a bold. Scrolling does not work

BerryDialer works fine on my Bold :razz:

dualsub2006 03-22-2009 01:11 PM

I've been using CardKaller now for a few days. I really like it with Google Voice. Being able to initiate a Google Voice call from the phone log or address book has been a real time saver for me. And yes, time is money for me.

MrKyoo 03-22-2009 10:00 PM

Aside from the navigational issues with the 8900 (I hope you're working on this for us), I'm finding CardKaller very convenient. I also echo dualsub2006 3rd request though. I's meaningless to have to select your only card, this option should be by default.

dualsub2006 03-22-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKyoo (Post 1329359)
Aside from the navigational issues with the 8900 (I hope you're working on this for us), I'm finding CardKaller very convenient. I also echo dualsub2006 3rd request though. I's meaningless to have to select your only card, this option should be by default.

Aly responded to me via email and stated that they are going to select the card by default when only one is entered.

MrKyoo 03-23-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualsub2006 (Post 1329409)
Aly responded to me via email and stated that they are going to select the card by default when only one is entered.

That is good to hear that they are making that adjustment. But honestly, what is more important for me as a Javelin user is the navigation throughout the application. It is almost a guess as to what Iím clicking on in CardKaller.

funkym 03-23-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualsub2006 (Post 1329409)
Aly responded to me via email and stated that they are going to select the card by default when only one is entered.

This default in BerryDialer for years ... I rather stick with a plain user interface but therefor, have proofed and reliable functionality. ;-)

dualsub2006 03-23-2009 09:43 PM

Then stick with BerryDialer funky.

For those that don't already have money tied up in a dialer app CardKaller is worth a look. It works flawlessly with Google Voice, which is one thing that BerryDialer can't do from what I have seen reported.

BerryDialer works for you? That's great. But this thread is about CardKaller.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.