Today I would like share with you the news that there is a new BlackBerry Application by emacberry.com called: Iconify
Iconify allows you to create links to any Webpage or ro any of your Contacts in your BlackBerry AddressBook, so that they are directly accessible from your BlackBerry Homescreen. Of Course you can specify for each created link a own Picture (for Contacts by default the Contact Photo is used) and Name. Iconify keeps the links to your contacts always up2date. When you change a phone number or eMail address of a contact, the associated IconifyLink will automatically be updated also.
Beside associating a single phone number (DialLink) [or eMail/SMS (MailLink)] to a IconifyLink you have the option to "select them each time". So when you are using the IconifyLink from the Hoemscreen you will get a dialog to select one of the phone numbers (or eMail addresses) of the associated contact. Iconify is still BETA - so it would be great to get your Feedback concerning missing features or things that need to be improved. So just let me know!
You made FileScout already a great app - so let's see what will happen with Iconify Iconify Core Features:
- Create an IconifyDialLink to any Contact of your BlackBerry® AddressBook directly on your HomeScreen.
- Specify a custom image or use the contact picture
- Select a single number, specify a custom number or pick "select each time" (once the contact have multiple numbers assigned)
- Select if you would like to confirm the number dialing As soon as you change any details (number or picture) of your contact in your BlackBerry® AddressBook Iconify will instantly refresh the link on your HomeScreen. So the IconifyLink is always up2date! (only applies, if you made no "custom" settings for an IconifyLink)
- Create an IconifyMailLink to any Contact of your BlackBerry® AddressBook directly on your HomeScreen.
- Same as for Dial Links you can select between multiple eMail Addresses, SMS-Number, PIN, or specify a custom eMail address for an IconifyMailLink.
- Create an IconifyWebLink to a Webpage you have currently open in your BlackBerry® Browser directly on your HomeScreen.
- Adjust the URL if needed
- Specify an custom name or use the default generated
- Iconify will try to read the favicon.ico file of the Webserver (only JPG & PNG supported - these formats are not very common yet as favorite.ico files - but that hopefully will change in the future). Once a Site offers a favicon.ico file in a supported format Iconify will use that image as custom picture for this IconifyLink.
- Options to configure Iconify to your choice
- Always confirm when on Roaming [ON/OFF]
- Default Confirm for new DialLinks [ON/OFF]
- Default Confirm for new WebLinks [ON/OFF]
- Various settings to configure the custom image browser
- Force TCP/IP for favicon.ico request (WebLinks)
I have already prepared a short manual which explains how to create, edit and delete IconifyLinks. You can find the Iconify Instructions here on my website
. Download OTA
As always Iconify
can be installed OTA by using this URL from your BlackBerry Browser: Iconify for BlackBerry® Download
(alternatively you can go to Iconify OTA Installation - Software for BlackBerry® Devices with OS 4.3 or higher
and take a photo of the QR-Code-Image with your BlackBerryMessenger 5.0 Application) Current known limitations
The current BETA version is limited to a maximal amount of 10
Links - this will for sure change in the near future. More Info
All details can be found also at the BETA Homepage of Iconify
that is located here: Iconify Homepage - Software for BlackBerry® Devices with OS 4.3 or higher