You can do full size GIF / TIFF / JPG / PNG on BlackBerry nowadays, without size reduction, you just have to do this:
1. Go to http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm
using BlackBerry Browser
2. Click Trackwheel, select "Select Mode"
3. Select the reduced-size map image in BlackBerry Browser.
4. Click Trackwheel
5. Select "Full Image" Menu Item (this downloads the entire file, not a reduced resolution version)
6. Click Trackwheel, Save to your Pictures Album
7. You can view the map at full lossless resolution in Pictures Album, with horizontal/vertical scrolling.
Once this is done, the New York Subway Map is almost like a horizontally/vertically scrollable "Google Map"
inside your BlackBerry Pictures Album. (You may have to select "Zoom 1:1" when you start viewing the subway map in Pictures Album.)
The NYC subway map is two big GIF images, so you will have to save both images.