BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: 7100i
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Google Maps

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else reporting issues with downloading google local?
From google.com/glm

I have a few customers that I was able to load Google Local on to their 7520's, but as of a few days ago it looks like they've renamed the application to google maps. Im able to download it on my 7100i, but it shows the 7520 as being unsupported.

Any ideas?

If you could PIN me any ideas @ 400FBCE8
Offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 852
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I am facing the same issue. I do have Google local still, but I would like to upgrade to the new google maps, for google local is some what slow.
__________________
-Chris
Domino 7.0.3/BES 4.1.6 on w2k3 sp2
Offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8700g
Carrier: tim
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/115)

I'm using Google Maps since few days now and it's really great...fast and precise.

Great tool!
Offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Infinyte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

arggg i need this for my 7520... But its weird becuase it shows the 7520 as supported on the website.
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DslLmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 7520
Posts: 107
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I see that as well.... but the site also says
Note: Maps does not currently work with Nextel, T-Mobile USA or BREW-enabled phones (e.g. Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular), or Palm devices.
__________________
DazoTech Online Community

Nextel/Sprint 7520
PIN:400D4CF8
OS 4.1.0.273
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Infinyte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

they should atleast put back up local untill they get everything sorted out.
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
lgreenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New House
Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 2,527
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm confused at the difference between Google Local and Google Maps.

I have Google Local installed now. Am I suposed to upgrade to Google Maps? What's the difference? Do I need to uninstall Local or just install Maps on top of it?
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Infinyte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
I'm confused at the difference between Google Local and Google Maps.

I have Google Local installed now. Am I suposed to upgrade to Google Maps? What's the difference? Do I need to uninstall Local or just install Maps on top of it?
what up larry , Maps is the upgrade to Local but it doesn't seem to work with 7520s just yet...
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
lgreenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New House
Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 2,527
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey there Infinyte8!

Upgrade? What's changed from Local?

Does it work on the 8700?
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Fireproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frisco, TX
Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 771
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

google.com/gmm (google maps - the replacement for google local) works awesome on the 8700g. Nice turn-by-turn directions too - used it the other day.

From Google:

I just downloaded Google Maps, and now I have two different versions of the application on my phone: Google Maps, and Google Local. Do I need both of them?

No. In fact, we recommend you keep Google Maps, and delete Google Local.
__________________
Current Blackberry: TMO 8800
Previous BBs: 8700g, 7100t, 7520, 7230
Clutch Fitness Forum - Powerbuilding, Bodybuilding, and Nutrition

Last edited by Fireproof : 04-29-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Mile Hi City
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 2,790
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof
google.com/gmm (google maps - the replacement for google local) works awesome on the 8700g. Nice turn-by-turn directions too - used it the other day.
In away I'm kind of dissappointed, I wish it would provide information about the places you search. Like if you look up Vietnam, it would be nice if it told you facts about the place like population, elevation, chief inport/export etc... Even domestically when you visit a city, it would be nice to have some trivia like state bird, flower, what the city is known for etc...
Offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
deezmfnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC
Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 342
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
In away I'm kind of dissappointed, I wish it would provide information about the places you search. Like if you look up Vietnam, it would be nice if it told you facts about the place like population, elevation, chief inport/export etc... Even domestically when you visit a city, it would be nice to have some trivia like state bird, flower, what the city is known for etc...

Well when you look up an actual place of business (e.g. a restaurant) there is a new tab in Google Maps Mobile which says details (press the K or 9) key and you get a little blurb about the place and links to reviews, pretty neat little feature especially if you have an 8700 and EDGE. This is a new feature and alone makes upgrading from Google Local Mobile to Google Maps Mobile worth it. YMMV.
Offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Mile Hi City
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 2,790
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
Well when you look up an actual place of business (e.g. a restaurant) there is a new tab in Google Maps Mobile which says details (press the K or 9) key and you get a little blurb about the place and links to reviews, pretty neat little feature especially if you have an 8700 and EDGE. This is a new feature and alone makes upgrading from Google Local Mobile to Google Maps Mobile worth it. YMMV.
I have a 7290 but can see a detail tab when I push 1 for options. That's the idea but I play with Google maps more for geography than for directions. I like to type in a place like Spain and would love to learn a bit about the place.
Offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
BilltheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sanford FL
Model: 7100i
Posts: 195
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslLmi
I see that as well.... but the site also says
Note: Maps does not currently work with Nextel, T-Mobile USA or BREW-enabled phones (e.g. Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular), or Palm devices.

I use Nextel or Sprint or Sprint together with Nextel or whatever the heck it is today with Google maps and it works fine.
__________________
Nextel 7100i Borg Approved!
Pin 4011D906
Offline  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DslLmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 7520
Posts: 107
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilltheCat
I use Nextel or Sprint or Sprint together with Nextel or whatever the heck it is today with Google maps and it works fine.
Ya but for some reason it will not work on the 7520's yet!
__________________
DazoTech Online Community

Nextel/Sprint 7520
PIN:400D4CF8
OS 4.1.0.273
Offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Model: 7100v
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Bah Humbug

Tis a shame that this is only a US thing, it kind of makes us here in the UK seem like out in the boonies - oh when will we be brought into the 21st Century here in the UK?

Whilst I'm waiting though i am going to plan a nice holiday trip to the US.

:cry
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.