BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
I guess maybe I'm a bit technologically-retarded, but here goes my question anyway.

I, like others on this thread, am getting the error message "Erro logging in: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP". I have a BB 7250 through Verizon that has 4.0 installed. How can I fix this so I can use this software? I'm sure this question was answered in the thread above somewhere, but I need it spelled out like I'm a four-year old (sorry if I am frustrating the technically-savvy)...

All help is greatly appreciated!
There will be an update (most likely sometime next week) that will allow users with 4.0 to connect without the need for MDS.

The error you're seeing indicates you don't have MDS, and the current version of Ramble requires it. There is a relatively straightforward fix for this, but changes need to be tested before they can be released.
Offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
cayzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Carolina
Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 306
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great app! I've got it working on my 4.0 7520 with BES. Simple but very effective. Any chance you may be able to get it to work with MSN and Yahoo also?
Offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The thing that makes Ramble different from other IM apps, is that it maintains the entire connection right from the BlackBerry without the need for an additional server. This means that the BB has to talk the protocol directly, which for MSN and Yahoo isn't available right now (without reverse engineering).

MSN and Yahoo aren't on the map right now, but if something were to come up that made it straightforward, it could be done.
Offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 27
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ive been using all day. This app works great so far. The chatroom functionworks very well.
Offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mobilehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Model: None
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had it installed and it kept getting stuck on "logging in...please wait"

I have verichat right now and it works great...I log right in every time without fail. Your app looks promising though...

After using Webmessenger for a year, I just want something that connects quick and works...not wait for it to find servers, that's just me.
Offline  
Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
emrys01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
The thing that makes Ramble different from other IM apps, is that it maintains the entire connection right from the BlackBerry without the need for an additional server. This means that the BB has to talk the protocol directly, which for MSN and Yahoo isn't available right now (without reverse engineering).

apparently, with my $20/month data plan with tmobile, i pay 5 cents a message with the built-in AIM client, since that's using SMS messages. given that i am not a corporate user, but just someone who bought a pair of 7100t's for myself and my wife, that's not really a scenario i'm too thrilled about... and upgrading my data plan is more expensive than it's worth to us, too.

is Ramble doing the same? from the description above, it would seem not, but i'd like confirmation that this is a tcp/ip-based app, rather than an SMS-based app, before i bother downloading and installing.

thanx
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey and NYC
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
There will be an update (most likely sometime next week) that will allow users with 4.0 to connect without the need for MDS.

The error you're seeing indicates you don't have MDS, and the current version of Ramble requires it. There is a relatively straightforward fix for this, but changes need to be tested before they can be released.
I'm one of these people with the Nextel BB7520 without MDS. When the fix comes out for this, will it be a new OTA download?
__________________
11.4 @ 126mph
Lancer Evolution
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrys01

apparently, with my $20/month data plan with tmobile, i pay 5 cents a message with the built-in AIM client, since that's using SMS messages. given that i am not a corporate user, but just someone who bought a pair of 7100t's for myself and my wife, that's not really a scenario i'm too thrilled about... and upgrading my data plan is more expensive than it's worth to us, too.

is Ramble doing the same? from the description above, it would seem not, but i'd like confirmation that this is a tcp/ip-based app, rather than an SMS-based app, before i bother downloading and installing.

thanx
Ramble does not use SMS for AIM communication. It uses TCP traffic.
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito
I'm one of these people with the Nextel BB7520 without MDS. When the fix comes out for this, will it be a new OTA download?
Yes, downloads of Ramble IM will continue to be OTA.
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: tilt
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not able to connect here either, no error message. Running BES with MDS enabled. T-mobile service. TCP enabled on the device......

just says logging in and then comes back to the log in screen.
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfugitt
Not able to connect here either, no error message. Running BES with MDS enabled. T-mobile service. TCP enabled on the device......

just says logging in and then comes back to the log in screen.
I've gotten a few questions like this, and so far firewalls or DNS seem to be the culprit. See if you can hit http://toc.oscar.aol.com:1290 from your desktop web browser. If AOL QuickBuddy pops up, your firewall is probably ok. If it doesn't, then you most likely have a firewall issue that you can resolve by talking to your System admin.
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #52 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
emrys01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Ramble does not use SMS for AIM communication. It uses TCP traffic.
thanks for the translation into boneheadese... ;) i, unfortunately, am also suffering from IPPPitis, so i await your next release with bated breath.

if this works the way i hope it does, i'll name my next child after you.

or, y'know... not. =)
Offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
emrys01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Ramble does not use SMS for AIM communication. It uses TCP traffic.
a suggestion: please give it a true "Exit" menu option. i hate apps that linger until you yank the battery...
Offline  
Old 04-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NC
Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

any news yet on the non-BES version???
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #55 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC*Nextel
any news yet on the non-BES version???
Testing it now.
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #56 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I have a nextel 7520

waiting with baited breath... when will you make available?
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

cant wait... I hope it works
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #58 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7250
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there an estimated time till this newer version may be released.. thanks
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
New Member
 
BBcodehkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7100G
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default RAMBLE not working on 7100g

Just downloaded ramble. Setup was fine. Tried logging in, got the error:

Error logging in: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP.

I read all of the forums that mentioned IPPP but they are for the 7290 blackberry. Is there anyone out there that actually knows how to configure chat programs on 7100g (Cingular).
I already setup the APN for cingular (WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM) ect...

I need help, please someone with good knowledge help me out. If you dont know what I'm talking about, please dont reply to his.
__________________
If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?
Offline  
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 214
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBcodehkr
Just downloaded ramble. Setup was fine. Tried logging in, got the error:

Error logging in: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP.

I read all of the forums that mentioned IPPP but they are for the 7290 blackberry. Is there anyone out there that actually knows how to configure chat programs on 7100g (Cingular).
I already setup the APN for cingular (WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM) ect...

I need help, please someone with good knowledge help me out. If you dont know what I'm talking about, please dont reply to his.
There is an update coming, probably tomorrow, that will fix the IPPP login issue.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.