BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/)
-   -   RDM+ for BlackBerry vs Idokorro Mobile Desktop (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/84890-rdm-blackberry-vs-idokorro-mobile-desktop.html)

Triforce66 07-08-2007 12:22 PM

RDM+ for BlackBerry vs Idokorro Mobile Desktop
 
Afternoon everyone,

I am looking for a way to remote control my servers remotely from my blackberry. Currently I am using windows remote desktop over a ssh tunnel. I have been looking around and there seems to be only 2 options for blackberry remote desktop applications (please correct me if I am wrong):

RDM+ for BlackBerry RIM devices

and

Idokorro Mobile Desktop

From what I am reading Idokorro's product requires you to open Windows RDP port to the public network in order to connect to the server correct? While SS's RDM+ uses a third party middle-man server correct?

Any input on opinions, thoughts, corrections?

chinatti 07-08-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triforce66 (Post 593242)
From what I am reading Idokorro's product requires you to open Windows RDP port to the public network in order to connect to the server correct?

If you are using BES, then you don't have to open up RDP ports to the outside world. Your BB RDP connection will come "from" your internal BES server.

For any more heavy-duty management, you may want to look into Idokorro's "Mobile Admin" product. In my experience, the RDP programs are somewhat clunky to use on a BB mainly due to the small screen size...

Triforce66 07-08-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinatti (Post 593274)
If you are using BES, then you don't have to open up RDP ports to the outside world. Your BB RDP connection will come "from" your internal BES server.

For any more heavy-duty management, you may want to look into Idokorro's "Mobile Admin" product. In my experience, the RDP programs are somewhat clunky to use on a BB mainly due to the small screen size...

No BES, I am using BIS. (small consulting company)

x14 07-08-2007 08:23 PM

Without a doing a whole lot of reseach I would say RDM+ require additional software installed on the target pc according to this link http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...whitepaper.php

Whereas the Idokorro Mobile Desktop does not require additional software.

rockinsage 07-08-2007 09:45 PM

Yes, RDM+ does require additional software to be installed on the PC (it uses a proprietary protocol RDM). TSMobiles requires no additional software on the PC and uses the RDP (Windows Remote Desktop Protocol) -- the same protocal as the MS PC-based remote desktop client. TSMobiles is from the same company that offers RDM+. I've been looking at these options for a few weeks and am planning on picking up TSMobiles shortly.

Triforce66 07-09-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinsage (Post 593639)
Yes, RDM+ does require additional software to be installed on the PC (it uses a proprietary protocol RDM). TSMobiles requires no additional software on the PC and uses the RDP (Windows Remote Desktop Protocol) -- the same protocal as the MS PC-based remote desktop client. TSMobiles is from the same company that offers RDM+. I've been looking at these options for a few weeks and am planning on picking up TSMobiles shortly.

But you need to forward the windows remote desktop port to the system still right?

rockinsage 07-09-2007 11:00 AM

Hi Triforce66,

I may be getting a little out of my league here, but if I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I think you'd either have to open whatever port the MS RDP protocol uses, or tunnel over SSH (port 22?) and port-forward or whatever from there (I'm speaking from the context of using TSMobiles on the BB as the client). I thought that the RDP protocol was secure (well, as secure as anything can be), so I didn't think there was a need to use SSH. I know that it's very wise to use an SSH tunnel if you're using the VNC protocol.

I don't know if this answered your question, it might be best to contact Shape Services and Idokorro directly if you're concerned about security.

bulldoggy 07-09-2007 11:10 AM

RDM+ installs a video hook driver and a Windows service. No opening of ports which is helpful since I'm behind a corporate firewall. Works well for what I need.

Triforce66 07-09-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinsage (Post 594200)
Hi Triforce66,

I may be getting a little out of my league here, but if I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I think you'd either have to open whatever port the MS RDP protocol uses, or tunnel over SSH (port 22?) and port-forward or whatever from there (I'm speaking from the context of using TSMobiles on the BB as the client). I thought that the RDP protocol was secure (well, as secure as anything can be), so I didn't think there was a need to use SSH. I know that it's very wise to use an SSH tunnel if you're using the VNC protocol.

I don't know if this answered your question, it might be best to contact Shape Services and Idokorro directly if you're concerned about security.

Rock, you are correct. I am looking to connect through ssh and tunnel in because I do not like the idea of opening the windows RDP port to the public. I guess part of my original question was is this possible with the BB? I know of a couple ssh applications but do any of them support tunneling / and or the RDP applications? With new windows exploits coming out every week, I would prefer to only open one port instead of multiple. (that and ssh allows you to secure copy and secure ftp with the same port).

Triforce66 07-09-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldoggy (Post 594225)
RDM+ installs a video hook driver and a Windows service. No opening of ports which is helpful since I'm behind a corporate firewall. Works well for what I need.

Sounds interesting, I will need to see the pricing since I would want to connect to multiple servers.

roosterfish 07-09-2007 09:19 PM

What about VNC+?

Sorry to add yet a third option, but I'm looking for remote software as well. Just from reading, it looks like VNC+ can be used with Linux clients, while RDM+ is limited to Windows. I need to access both clients, and it looks like I will be giving VNC+ a try in the next few days. My main consern is that I've experienced speed issues with VNC in the past.

Does anyone use RDM+ to access a windows workstation, and then remote into a linux client from the workstation?

pauldumais 07-10-2007 10:17 AM

Just to clear things up, Idokorro Mobile Desktop support both the RDP protocol for windows and the VNC protocol all in one product with no server software required.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I can help answer them.

DrFooMod2 07-11-2007 09:13 PM

SHAPE Services has a whitepaper[1] that compares RDM+, TSmobiles, and VNC+.

[1] SHAPE Services - Remote Access Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.