BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Please Login to Remove!

RemyJ, you are the BEST!

I just spent a few hours screwing around with KeePass_J2ME and taking a crash course in how to compile a jar file only to find that it locks up my 8830. So on a whim, I thought I would google "keepass blackberry" and bam, there it was!

I hope you don't mind but I added an external link to the Sourceforge project in the Wikipedia entry to KeePass. If it was there to start with, it would have saved me a lot of work...

Thanks again. Looking forward to Beta3
Offline  
Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbucket View Post
RemyJ, you are the BEST!

I just spent a few hours screwing around with KeePass_J2ME and taking a crash course in how to compile a jar file only to find that it locks up my 8830. So on a whim, I thought I would google "keepass blackberry" and bam, there it was!

I hope you don't mind but I added an external link to the Sourceforge project in the Wikipedia entry to KeePass. If it was there to start with, it would have saved me a lot of work...
Thanks, and no problem with the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbucket View Post
Thanks again. Looking forward to Beta3
Desktop Manager Plug-In if developing in Visual C++ doesn't kill me first.

Maybe tonight.
Offline  
Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #43 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default RemyJ = My Hero

Remy,

Just downloaded and installed.

Grabbed KeepassBB from the OTA download link in the readme and then uploaded the database to my webserver. Grabbed the KDB from there and downloaded it through the program with perfect success. Awesome.

At least from where I sit, it's working very well for a Beta. I've been trying to do stuff to break it and have not yet succeeded.

Here are some suggestions that are wholly in the "having my cake and eating it too" category, but that I think might be appreciated by users:

1. The max inactivity time-out is 90 secs. I'd allow for more, if possible. Reason being, I often need to access several passwords over a period of time, and 90 seconds is a bit less than I need. Perhaps a max of 5 minutes, and maybe an initial warning that the longer the time the greater the security risk?

2. One thing I use all the time in the desktop version of Keepass is the search box at the top of the page, which really lets me get to what I want fast, usually with only 2-4 characters to narrow the list. Perhaps a search box at the top of the initial tree view would be possible? It would definitely come in handy.

3. I agree with previous posters about potentially editing the database entries on the BB, but having the information, editable or not, is worth its weight in gold.

Regardless of all of this thank you for your work on this. It is very much appreciated. I'll keep an eye on this thread and will be happy to test future versions.

Finally, be sure you post a donation link at some point. You deserve a cold one (or two) for your work on this.
__________________
Technology Lawyer, Blackberry User
http://www.cyberlawonline.com
Offline  
Old 09-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #44 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Cool. Glad its working.

Suggestions:
1. Will be in Beta 3.

2. Won't make Beta 3 but it's a great idea so it should be in the final release.

3. Editing is problematic because of the encryption requirements. I'm trying to come up with a way to make 2-way synchronization of individual records wotk without having to enter your password on both ends. This probably won't make Release 1.0 but I AM working on it.

Donations
SourceForge.net: Project Donations: KeePass for BlackBerry
Offline  
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am now officially the first person to donate to the project. Thanks again, I'll be keeping an eye out for new versions and am happy to help test.
__________________
Technology Lawyer, Blackberry User
http://www.cyberlawonline.com
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonarch View Post
I am now officially the first person to donate to the project. Thanks again, I'll be keeping an eye out for new versions and am happy to help test.
THANKS!!
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KeePass for BlackBerry Beta 3 Now Available

KeePass for BlackBerry: SourceForge.net: KeePass for BlackBerry
OTA Download: http://keepassbb.sourceforge.net/ota/keepassbb.jad
Donations appreciated: SourceForge.net: Project Donations: KeePass for BlackBerry
Not to make anyone feel guilty but I AM out of work.

--- KeePassBB Beta 3 - Build 0.3.136 - Released September 4 2007
NOTE: You should UNINSTALL Beta 2 before installing Beta 3. The .cod file name
changed to lower case so the old one may not get uninstalled automatically. You
may also receive a ClassCastException when re-opening KeePassBB after the Beta 3
install. Just ignore it and reload or synchronize your database and it'll go
away.

* Added a Desktop Manager Add-In to automatically push database to device

* Added "ActiveText" to entry display to provide links for URLs, phone
numbers email addresses, etc.

* Increased timeout to 5 minutes

* Reformatted entry display Added a rollover icon

* Fixed issue with not being able to open directories or select files in the file explorer with a
trackwheel or trackball click

* Changed file names to lower case

Last edited by RemyJ : 09-04-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 AM   #48 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: china mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That is great. I can not wait it for longer. I will try it asap.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
wibbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 857
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post

3. Editing is problematic because of the encryption requirements. I'm trying to come up with a way to make 2-way synchronization of individual records wotk without having to enter your password on both ends. This probably won't make Release 1.0 but I AM working on it.
Does it help if you restrict the BB client to running AES (for which there are built-in libraries) and do 2 way sync for the whole database? I would personally find these acceptable restrictions if so, to get editing on the BB.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 9530
PIN: TAIL ON DONKEY
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 49
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Loaded B3 and at first run I got a language error I think. I can't recall exactly but remember the words language and English in the error message. I closed the app and opened it again to get the exact wording and it didn't appear again.

Other than that it keeps getting better. Actually for me the only other perk would be add/edit/del functions.

Just sent my donation, hope you get it.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Does it help if you restrict the BB client to running AES (for which there are built-in libraries) and do 2 way sync for the whole database? I would personally find these acceptable restrictions if so, to get editing on the BB.
I could do that but think about the scenarios...

Starting with desktop and device synchronized.

On the desktop you modify record A then synchronize.
No problem. You push the file to the device.

On the device you modify record B then synchronize.
No problem. You push the file to the desktop.

On the desktop you modify record A.
On the device you modify record B.
Now you synchronize. Now what?

I'd have to give you the option to...
Desktop wins.
Device wins.
Latest file timestamp wins.
Leave them separate.

Also consider that if you turn on the "mark database as modified on last-access time change" feature, every time you LOOK at an entry, the database changes.

So, I'm still thinking about it. It's not the amount of work involved that's making me hesitant but the "You blew away my database!!!" support issues.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #52 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo51 View Post
Loaded B3 and at first run I got a language error I think. I can't recall exactly but remember the words language and English in the error message. I closed the app and opened it again to get the exact wording and it didn't appear again.

Other than that it keeps getting better. Actually for me the only other perk would be add/edit/del functions.

Just sent my donation, hope you get it.
Let me know if the error happens again.

See above for comments about editing.

THANKS for the donation!!
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #53 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
wibbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 857
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post
On the desktop you modify record A.
On the device you modify record B.
Now you synchronize. Now what?
You'll have the conflict anyway when you have changes on both sides, just depends if it's on a file or record basis.

Either way, I would follow the prcedend set by the DM. If there's a confict, by default promp the user which way they want do do the sync...

Just my 2c
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post
--- KeePassBB Beta 3 - Build 0.3.136 - Released September 4 2007 ---
Remy,

Just ran the Beta 3 and a few comments:

1. I think the new icon on the menu is much nicer. Love the unlock.

2. Activelinks are great, really useful if you know where you want to go, instead of typing and then having to switch apps, can just go right into Keepass.

3. I think the display style within each password entry looks much cleaner, I like the metadata at the bottom below the "Notes" section. I use the notes section often, so that's much easier to see.

4. Thanks for making the change on the timeout. Much better to allow that range of time.

Generally, I think this was an all-out improvement on Beta 2. No new suggestions outside of the ones I previously made. I'll keep an eye out for Beta 4 or the RC1 or whatever is next.
__________________
Technology Lawyer, Blackberry User
http://www.cyberlawonline.com
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VRZ
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Great Job!!!

Remyj,
You did it again. I love the improvements. keep up the good work. Dennis
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #56 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
You'll have the conflict anyway when you have changes on both sides, just depends if it's on a file or record basis.

Either way, I would follow the prcedend set by the DM. If there's a confict, by default promp the user which way they want do do the sync...

Just my 2c
Well, If I can get some answers from RIM concerning protecting data on the device, I may have a way to do record level reconciliation. We'll see.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonarch View Post
Remy,

Just ran the Beta 3 and a few comments:

1. I think the new icon on the menu is much nicer. Love the unlock.

2. Activelinks are great, really useful if you know where you want to go, instead of typing and then having to switch apps, can just go right into Keepass.

3. I think the display style within each password entry looks much cleaner, I like the metadata at the bottom below the "Notes" section. I use the notes section often, so that's much easier to see.

4. Thanks for making the change on the timeout. Much better to allow that range of time.

Generally, I think this was an all-out improvement on Beta 2. No new suggestions outside of the ones I previously made. I'll keep an eye out for Beta 4 or the RC1 or whatever is next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisyuki View Post
Remyj,
You did it again. I love the improvements. keep up the good work. Dennis

Thanks!
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice, but for some reason, when I try to open the database it says bad login or corrupt file.

Here is what I did:

1. downloaded OTA
2. went into Keepass on my desktop and saved the DB to a directory on the SD card.
3. Start up Keepass on BB, try to import database and it gives me that error.

Dont know what else to do.
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Golden, CO US
Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 684
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Nice, but for some reason, when I try to open the database it says bad login or corrupt file.

Here is what I did:

1. downloaded OTA
2. went into Keepass on my desktop and saved the DB to a directory on the SD card.
3. Start up Keepass on BB, try to import database and it gives me that error.

Dont know what else to do.
Did you have an earlier version installed?
Do a "Delete persistent store" on the device and try again.
Caps Lock?
Did the Decrypting progress dialog come up or did it immediately give the error?
Can you create a blank database from KeePass on the desktop and try it again?
Offline  
Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 PM   #60 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Errors in Beta 3

Remy:

Found an error that cropped up today in Beta 3:

1. Getting an error message:

"Actual data array length doesn't match header: -32612:32924"

This happens when I just start up the app, or if I attempt to go into options and reload from persistent store.

So, from there, I deleted the persistent store and reloaded the DB from the webserver, and now all appears fine.

Corrupted DB, perhaps? More likely something with the app, given that kermalou had a similar problem..
__________________
Technology Lawyer, Blackberry User
http://www.cyberlawonline.com

Last edited by webmonarch : 09-04-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.