PDA

View Full Version : IT Custom Policy

Target
10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I am looking to remove some of the standard icons from the Blackberry 8800 startup screen.

I can push out the content i want my users to have but would like to tidy up the screen so they do not have to many cluttered icons.

I know we can do it by hiding the icons on the screen but for a lot of handsets this would prove time consuming.

Is there a way of creating say a custom IT policy element to do this, and if so How?

hdawg
10-15-2007, 09:18 AM
You might check the BES Policy Reference Guide (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Policy_Reference_Guide.pdf?func=doc.Fetch&nodeId=1139948&docTitle=BlackBerry+Enterprise+Server+Policy+Reference+Guide) to see what functionality it has. Some things you can do, some you just can't.

Target
10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Took a look at that first.

It tells me all about the standard policy elements. But nothing about custom IP policy elements.

It seems no-one knows how to create them.

hdawg
10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Some things can be hidden (like carrier browser icon); but unfortunately all functions / features on the device are not controllable via IT Policy.

BBAdmin
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
This is a painful one which I've had experience of. As hdawg states, you can do things like remove the WAP browser icon so that users are forced to use the MDS browser, but you can't do things like remove certain icons or put the icons in a certain order or enfoce one standardised theme via IT policy from the BES. I'd very much like to do this for most of my users as it stops them asking dumb questions and simplifies the support model by having a standard parity on every device - unfortunately this hasn't happened yet.

Target
10-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you for your responses.

Yes how easy supporting users would be if I could shut off half the icons.

I have fired this question off to RIM, but as you can imagine I have decided not to hold my breath :razz:

If i do get a response i will post it.(y)