PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard unlock with scroll wheel

Vol4Ever
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
This has got to be one of the most annoying items with my BB8700. It's extremely minor, but a major pain-in-the-you-know-what. I keep my BB in my pocket, so I typically lock the keyboard. When the keypad is locked, the scroll wheel brings up 3 options - Unlock, Emergency Call, Cancel. Clicking on Emergency Call or Cancel performs correctly. However, the Unlock button does NOT work via scroll wheel. It forces you to use the * + (green send) button sequence. If it's not a valid choice, why continue to show it in the menu? :x

On some of the older firmwares (4.1.x maybe?), a quick double click of the scroll wheel would unlock into normal mode. Is there any way to get the old functionality back still using the newest firmware? Probably a pipe dream! :cry:

John Clark
10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Nope. 4.2 OS's all work that way. Only way to change it is to revert back to 4.1.

Vol4Ever
10-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Any idea if BB (or AT&T?) plan to fix that in a future FW release, or was it changed on purpose?

John Clark
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't look for that to be changed any time soon. I believe it's like that on purpose now so that it doesn't accidentally get unlocked.

Vol4Ever
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Ugh. I was afraid of that. To me, a better compromise would have been to re-arrange the order of the selections. Make "cancel" the top selection, and "unlock" the bottom. Then nothing would happen with an accidental double click.

Thanks for helping clear it up, though. Guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. :-(

Menthol
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
What if you scroll to unlock and hit enter. (4.1)

Vol4Ever
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Same thing. Hitting the enter key serves the same function as the second click of the scroll wheel. Just pops up a window saying that keypad is locked. Just makes no sense to me to continue to show "unlock" as an option when it doesn't work. The programmer didn't think this one through too well.

crisambo
10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
If you have your BB password protected, choosing "Unlock" option brings up box where you need to enter your password. with the correct password and hitting :enter: , the BB will show your Main Menu screen. The "Emergency Call" option is simply that, being able to use the BB to make an Emergency Call, even without the password.

If you're not using Password Protection with your Keyboard lock, you do not need to use the trackwheel to choose "Unlock", "Emergency Call" or "Cancel"... You can simply proceed to hit the * send button to open your BB.

Shaun
10-22-2007, 07:27 AM
You can simply proceed to hit the * send button to open your BB.

The beauty of the trackwheel double click to unlock, is that it can be done with one hand (especially right handed users). I agree with the OP, its a small change, but such a pain for those people that were used to it.

crisambo
10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
The beauty of the trackwheel double click to unlock, is that it can be done with one hand (especially right handed users). I agree with the OP, its a small change, but such a pain for those people that were used to it.

. . . I only use one hand to press * send buttons to unlock keyboard . . . .

'Change' is the one constant in our lives, adapt or die . . . words of wisdom from somebody, not mine . . .;-)