PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry FAQ - StandyBy mode vs. Sleep

fordag
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
StandyBy mode vs. Sleep - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/StandyBy_mode_vs._Sleep)

In reading this particular FAQ one thing jumps out at me, other than the title, the article does not mention Sleep mode at all.

So, what is the difference between StandBy mode and Sleep?

Thanks,
David

JSanders
10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Dang it, now see I was writing that one night fell asleep. Geez, got caught.

Honestly though, I was writing that FAQ, and all of a sudden it hit me that I didn't could not easily define it.

Let's discuss and get the info and I will bring it up to date.

fordag
10-18-2007, 11:43 PM
So then what is considered sleep mode? Is it the auto power off/on feature?

When I search the BlackBerry knowledge base for "sleep" nothing mentioning sleep mode comes up. as it relates to a BlackBerry device.

John Clark
10-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Honestly, I've never seen a difference with sleep and standby. If you put the device in standby and put it in a magnetic holster, when you remove it it wakes up. So, I figured standby is the way to put the device to sleep, as if it's in a holster, without putting it in a holster. However, in standby I don't think your "in holster" settings under profiles will take effect. But all else, appears the same. Call it "Battery Saving Pocket Mode." ;-)

bryanus
12-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Here's a question though. How much battery life is actually being saved in Sleep/Standby mode versus not in Sleep/Standby mode?

I mean, if the BB is capable of receiving data and calls while in Standby mode, how " asleep" is it, really?

Does standby mode actually "Quit" all other applications that may be active, like JiveTalk for example? Or stop a browser from downloading a page midway?

John Clark
12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Who knows. Standby deactivates the keyboard so that the screen doesn't light up. All else works. If you put the device in your pocket you can easily press keys inadvertantly. I would say you would save a lot of battery by putting it in standby. If you set the device down on a desk and let it sit then i don't think it would have much effect on battery life.

bryanus
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

Not having the keys active in standby mode is a great point. I guess that would be the biggest benefit IMO. Thanks.

greenwood
09-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Who knows. Standby deactivates the keyboard so that the screen doesn't light up. All else works. If you put the device in your pocket you can easily press keys inadvertantly. I would say you would save a lot of battery by putting it in standby. If you set the device down on a desk and let it sit then i don't think it would have much effect on battery life.

Forgive me for appearing unknowledgable - but I am. How do you get in and out of standby mode. My keyboard never lights up.

heffman
09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
...press and hold the speaker button on top of your 8100 for a few seconds, it will then prompt whether you wish to enter stand-by mode.

greenwood
09-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks. I tried that and it does indeed put the 8100 into standby. However my keyboard remains dark at all times. Any thoughts?