PDA

View Full Version : Gmail IMAP Support

KJH
10-24-2007, 03:26 AM
A recent article over at download squad (Gmail gets IMAP - Download Squad (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/10/23/gmail-gets-imap/)) reveals that gmail is rolling out support for IMAP. Anybody enable this yet and get better syncing on their BB?

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 06:26 AM
A recent article over at download squad (Gmail gets IMAP - Download Squad (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/10/23/gmail-gets-imap/)) reveals that gmail is rolling out support for IMAP. Anybody enable this yet and get better syncing on their BB?

I just checked my gmail settings on Google and I do see the IMAP configurations. Haven't tried anything yet w/BIS

falqon
10-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Try logging out and coming back in, worked for me. It's under settings in gmail.

Now how do I use it best with my 8800?

PabloTX
10-24-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm curious to see if Gmail will "push" the deletions or message states from the desktop onto the Blackberry through BIS. That would definitely be nice.

Jaime
10-24-2007, 06:57 AM
How a BIS user can benefit from this? I'm curious.

Best,
Jaime

Wishdemon
10-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Wont it allow us to have a two way sync now - it'll allow us to delete from the bb and delete from the inbox and mark items as read, etc?

penguin3107
10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Wont it allow us to have a two way sync now - it'll allow us to delete from the bb and delete from the inbox and mark items as read, etc?

You already have two-way message reconciliation (of deletes) with Gmail.
It has nothing to do with POP or IMAP.

GMaill allowing IMAP will not necessarilly provide read/unread mark reconciliation.

Basically, GMail now supporting IMAP has absolutely no impact on Blackberry users.

Jaime
10-24-2007, 07:44 AM

GMaill allowing IMAP will not necessarilly provide read/unread mark reconciliation.

Basically, GMail now supporting IMAP has absolutely no impact on Blackberry users.

That was I thought. Is there any user with imap activated that can confirm or deny our assumptions?

Best,
Jaime

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Gmail does not have 2 way sync. If I delete something in Gmail it does NOT delete on the BB. Only if I delete it from the BB will that be done on the GMAIL server. The addition of IMAP should allow all of this if BIS supports full IMAP. I would like to try and setup my Gmail account as a plain IMAP account but as soon as BIS sees gmail.com it does not allow it.

penguin3107
10-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Gmail does not have 2 way sync. If I delete something in Gmail it does NOT delete on the BB.

Yes, it does.
It's been working for several months now.
Deletes from BB reflect almost instantly in GMail... however deletes from GMail take hours to reconcile back to the device. It will eventually reconcile though.

This has been discussed and confirmed here in numerous threads.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Never worked for me. I have the boxed checked in my account setup and I have the BB set to reconcile. Things have sat there for days.

Yes, it does.
Deletes from BB reflect almost instantly in GMail... however deletes from GMail take hours to reconcile back to the device. It will eventually reconcile though.

penguin3107
10-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Never worked for me. I have the boxed checked in my account setup and I have the BB set to reconcile. Things have sat there for days.

Do you have GMail set up as POP through BIS right now?
If so, I'd say that would likely be your issue.
Don't use POP, or IMAP. Turn them both off in GMail. They aren't needed for BIS.

ehan
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
hello people

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882&topic=12761

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I do not.

Time will tell. If they support full IMAP then we will get the Yahoo like integration. Lets see what happens.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Great. Just set it up. We will see if it works any differently then the default setup.

hello people

Jaime
10-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Great. Just set it up. We will see if it works any differently then the default setup.

Please let us know.

Best,
Jaime

jeremyckitching
10-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Where do you all see this setting? I don't have it in mine. Do you have to have a Google Domain Account?

Update: Never mind. In the article it says it will be rolled out for everyone in a couple of days.

jeremyckitching
10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Don't use POP, or IMAP. Turn them both off in GMail. They aren't needed for BIS.

I have the same issue where it doesn't delete. I will disable POP but when I set up my GMail account via BIS, for some reason POP re-enables itself in GMail. I just tested it again and it happened. If I disable POP, then I don't get my e-mail messages. So I can vouch for this issue. I have waited days for it to delete and it never does. This is my setup, so I won't say it doesn't work for everyone because obviously some do have it working. But for my account, I have never been able to get items to delete from the BlackBerry when I delete them from G-mail.

kdog1176
10-24-2007, 09:00 AM

I have had POP enabled in my gmail account. Just turned it off, and no gmail is pushed to BB? Is POP then needed in gmail?

jeremyckitching
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I have had POP enabled in my gmail account. Just turned it off, and no gmail is pushed to BB? Is POP then needed in gmail?

I believe it does need to be enabled. Or at least I will say MY e-mail doesn't come through unless it is enabled.

penguin3107
10-24-2007, 09:25 AM

No, you don't need POP in GMail.
However, if you initially had it enabled... then that is what BIS will use.
If you turn off POP, you need to delete your GMail account from BIS, and then re-add it, otherwise BIS will continually try to use POP to connect to your GMail account.

GMail and Yahoo use specialized integration with BIS. Neither of them require POP or IMAP settings to be enabled.

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I turned off POP in one of my gmail accounts, enables IMAP and setup my Outlook. Works like any other IMAP account. However, when I added this gmail account in the BIS (vzw) it worked like a regular gmail account - instant push but no immediate 2-way sync like Yahoo. I think RIM would have to make changes in the BIS to incorporate IMAP for gmail.

DaBlackberryBoy
10-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Informative Links for GMail IMAP
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12760

havanese
10-24-2007, 09:35 AM
BB 8830 on Verizon.

Enabled IMAP for BB.

Sent a message from my work email to my gmail acct. The message showed up in my gmail acct and my BB at the same time.

When I deleted it from my BB it removed it from my gmail acct. I did not see the deleted message in my Trash so it looks like it completely removed it.

I didn't setup the acct from my phone but from the BIS website for Verizon.
https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Thanks gmail, now I can also setup Thunderbird to use IMAP for my gmail acct.

jeremyckitching
10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
If you turn off POP, you need to delete your GMail account from BIS, and then re-add it, otherwise BIS will continually try to use POP to connect to your GMail account.

This is exactly what I tried to do. I disabled POP in GMail and then deleted and re-added the account in my BIS site. As soon as I did that, I checked my POP settings in GMail and then were enabled again, without me doing anything. I then disable POP in GMail, and then my e-mail messages stop coming. I wonder if there is something up with my GMail account. Oh well...

kdog1176
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM

GMail and Yahoo use specialized integration with BIS. Neither of them require POP or IMAP settings to be enabled.

I went ahead and performed the following:

1) Deleted Gmail account from BIS
2) Disabled POP in Gmail Account
3) Re-added Gmail account to BIS

I then logged into my Gmail accout, and POP was automatically re-enabled?

jeremyckitching
10-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I went ahead and performed the following:

1) Deleted Gmail account from BIS
2) Disabled POP in Gmail Account
3) Re-added Gmail account to BIS

I then logged into my Gmail accout, and POP was automatically re-enabled?

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I am going to try to disable POP first, then delete the account on BIS, then re-add it.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
That has worked fine in the past. It is the other way around that I am looking for and I am sure many others. I would like to delete from Gmail and have it remove from the bb.

Also this was updated this month. Goes along with what the other guy said but we will see.

BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05133&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=32973133&stateId=0%200%2032971410)

I have had the IMAP setup for about an hour now on my BB. So far it seems a bit slower then the normal way for emails to arrive and nothing has been deleted that I have removed from Gmail. So I will give it more time but it seems like BIS would need to be updated to function like a normal IMAP client.

BB 8830 on Verizon.

Enabled IMAP for BB.

Sent a message from my work email to my gmail acct. The message showed up in my gmail acct and my BB at the same time.

When I deleted it from my BB it removed it from my gmail acct. I did not see the deleted message in my Trash so it looks like it completely removed it.

I didn't setup the acct from my phone but from the BIS website for Verizon.
https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Thanks gmail, now I can also setup Thunderbird to use IMAP for my gmail acct.

penguin3107
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Beats me, guys.
My GMail is working fine, and POP is most definitely not enabled.

I guess only Google knows what's going on in their mysterious world of email.

havanese
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
As I posted earlier it's working for me.

I have noticed that in my gmail acct online I now have two new labels called

[IMAP]/Sent
[IMAP]/Trash

The messages that I remove from BB or Thunderbird show up in the IMAP/Trash label, not the regular trash.

http://www.randyandgerri.com/images/gmailimap.jpg

kdog1176
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Beats me, guys.

And with POP disabled, your receive your Gmail immediately? No 15 minute delay?

kdog1176
10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I am going to try to disable POP first, then delete the account on BIS, then re-add it.

Tried this, and POP is still enabled in Gmail after adding Gmail acct to BIS.

GoblueNextel
10-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I only use BIS for my several GMAIL accounts. My work email is on a BES.

Technically I could not have to use my BIS anymore and just add my GMAIL to outlook, which in turn should be delivered thru BES? Yes/No?

Any insight would be great.

Jeff

Jaime
10-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry to bother guys, which are the best setting for gmail and google hosted and BIS? I'm a bit confused.

Best,
Jaime

ArgonNJ
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
That has worked fine in the past. It is the other way around that I am looking for and I am sure many others. I would like to delete from Gmail and have it remove from the bb.

Also this was updated this month. Goes along with what the other guy said but we will see.

BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05133&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=32973133&stateId=0%200%2032971410)

I have had the IMAP setup for about an hour now on my BB. So far it seems a bit slower then the normal way for emails to arrive and nothing has been deleted that I have removed from Gmail. So I will give it more time but it seems like BIS would need to be updated to function like a normal IMAP client.

I've also noted that items sent through gmail from the BB are not appearing in the sent folder on the gmail web app like they used to. It does also seem a bit slower. At least now when I send email from the web app, it doesn't also get sent to my BB.

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I think google's notification server arrangement (with the BIS) controls instant email delivery. When RIM enabled the IMAP-IDLE function awhile back (and now disabled it) the BIS/IMAP connection would handle the instant notification. So far I don't see anything new with gmail/IMAP and the BIS.

ArgonNJ
10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
As I posted earlier it's working for me.

I have noticed that in my gmail acct online I now have two new labels called

[IMAP]/Sent
[IMAP]/Trash

The messages that I remove from BB or Thunderbird show up in the IMAP/Trash label, not the regular trash.

http://www.randyandgerri.com/images/gmailimap.jpg

How long has yours been enabled. I don't have those labels on my page. Logged out and logged back in also.

havanese
10-24-2007, 10:18 AM
How long has yours been enabled. I don't have those labels on my page. Logged out and logged back in also.

The labels showed up about 10 minutes after the first time I sent an email from BB. I then deleted some test messages sent to my gmail acct and the trash label was once again added about 10 minutes after that. To make myself clear the labels where added by google automatically, I didn't set them up.

floz23
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Ok,

I have imap enabled with one of my BB accounts. The message status reconciliation definitely works, thank god! But, the trade-off seems to be, the imap is NOT push, it seems to be polling. I'll test it for a little while though.

-Adam

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
How long is it taking from reading or deleting something in Gmail to showing up on your Blackberry?

Ok,

I have imap enabled with one of my BB accounts. The message status reconciliation definitely works, thank god! But, the trade-off seems to be, the imap is NOT push, it seems to be polling. I'll test it for a little while though.

-Adam

floz23
10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Its very varied so far, between 5-15 mins!

How long is it taking from reading or deleting something in Gmail to showing up on your Blackberry?

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Are you moving things to the trash or just archiving them? I am going to try it again.

havanese
10-24-2007, 10:59 AM

For me the longest time was 11 minutes (I timed it) and the shortest was 2 minutes.

floz23
10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, screw this. I want push over status reconciliation.

I'm switching back...

-Adam

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Are you saying thats how long it took to show up or the time to took for the message to disappear from your BB once you deleted it form gmail??

I'm switching back...

-Adam

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm switching back...

-Adam

Am I the only one not having an issue with IMAP? So far it's working just like all my other IMAP BIS accts.

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Are you saying thats how long it took to show up or the time to took for the message to disappear from your BB once you deleted it form gmail??

Showing up and deleting.

I have tested this from my coworkers emails, my yahoo email acct and from one of my BIS accts. The BIS acct is an IMAP acct for one of the websites I manage and when I sent an email from it to my gmail acct it was almost instant.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I think we are talking about different things here. Are changes you make in Gmail replicating to your BB?? Meaning if you delete a message or read a message in Gmail it disappears or shows as read on your Blackberry?

Am I the only one not having an issue with IMAP? So far it's working just like all my other IMAP BIS accts.

floz23
10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
No, I'm saying it takes several minutes for my messages to be delivered to my blackberry.

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I think we are talking about different things here. Are changes you make in Gmail replicating to your BB?? Meaning if you delete a message or read a message in Gmail it disappears or shows as read on your Blackberry?

Testing that right now give me 10 or 20 minutes

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok. Does it reconcile? Do your changes in GMAIL like an archive or delete make an email disappear in your BB??

No, I'm saying it takes several minutes for my messages to be delivered to my blackberry.

floz23
10-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a 7250, so i don't (i think) have automatic reconcile. BUT, if i select reconcile now on my BB, its instant. I only tried with deleting, it was labeled "IMAP/Trash" in my gmail account.

-Adam

Ok. Does it reconcile? Do your changes in GMAIL like an archive or delete make an email disappear in your BB??

bostonnerd
10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
No problems here either.

floz23
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Are you getting instant delivery of email to your Blackberry from your IMAP gmail account?

-Adam

No problems here either.

bthooper
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I still don't have the option to use IMAP with my Gmail account, but I'm hoping to experiment with it soon....

Some things still aren't clear to me:

1. I have just under 1GB of mail on my Gmail account. If I use IMAP, will it download all of this content for offline use? Where will it store it? If not, will it download the folder/label hierarchy?

2. How does it handle emails that have multiple labels?

3. What happens when you put an email into a folder on your BB? Is it labeled AND archived?

4. One thing I like about the Gmail client software is that you can easily search your archive. That won't be possible with IMAP will it?

5. One thing I hate about the Gmail client software is that you can't assign labels as far as I can tell. How exactly will labels and folders interact via IMAP?

Those are just a few of my questions. If the Gmail client software let me assign labels and archive messages, that would fit my needs. If I can do that through IMAP, and still search my complete archive, I'm happy.

ArgonNJ
10-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Gave up, back to POP access.
Problems with imap that I observed
1. no instant email notification like before
2. sent mail from the BB did not show up in the inbox of the web app
The old way worked fine. so much for progress.

kdog1176
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Beats me, guys.

I guess only Google knows what's going on in their mysterious world of email.

Hmm... Tried again disabling POP in my Gmail Acct. But it is always re-enabled after deleting/re-adding Gmail acct to BIS.

I checked out Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips Site (http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/GmailYahoo.htm) and the following is stated:

"Also, subscribers using a GmailŪ account are no longer required to enable POP (Post Office Protocol) before integrating their Gmail account with their BlackBerry service. And subscribers now experience virtual real-time (instead of poll-based) delivery of Gmail messages."

It really doesn't say that enabling POP in Gmail is not required at all. Just that you can now integrate Gmail with BIS without POP first being enabled in the Gmail acct. This is true. With POP disabled in my Gmail acct, I was able to integrate my Gmail acct with BIS. Maybe because the integration automatically enables POP in the Gmail acct for you?

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Gave up, back to POP access.
Problems with imap that I observed
1. no instant email notification like before
2. sent mail from the BB did not show up in the inbox of the web app
The old way worked fine. so much for progress.

For me email sent from BB shows up in web app with label "[Imap]/Sent"

bostonnerd
10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Are you getting instant delivery of email to your Blackberry from your IMAP gmail account?

-Adam

Varies between (almost) instant and a minute or so.

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Ok, I've testing your question and yes it will delete/show as read when I delete from the web app to the BB, but it took about 20 minutes for that to occur.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Seems like we are all seeing different things. Mine are delayed a bit to show up but I see no sync. If I delete an email from Gmail or read one the email remains new and unread on my BB and does not delete.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
That is great. Thats what I want but mine will not do that. Wonder what is different. I am on BES and BIS. Of course BES works great.

Ok, I've testing your question and yes it will delete/show as read when I delete from the web app to the BB, but it took about 20 minutes for that to occur.

havanese
10-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Seems like we are all seeing different things. Mine are delayed a bit to show up but I see no sync. If I delete an email from Gmail or read one the email remains new and unread on my BB and does not delete.

I didn't think it was going to happen on mine either, but after about 20-25 minutes the messages I had deleted on gmail finally were deleted on the BB, compared with Thunderbird that removed the deleted messages about 5 seconds after I deleted it on gmail's web app.

mikeruoc
10-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Just wiped out the account again and made sure all service books where gone. Setup the IMAP GMAIL and sent a test message from Yahoo to my gmail. We will see. It has been 6 mins so far but we will see after an hour. Before I had emails an hour old and deleted and they where still on the BB

I didn't think it was going to happen on mine either, but after about 20-25 minutes the messages I had deleted on gmail finally were deleted on the BB, compared with Thunderbird that removed the deleted messages about 5 seconds after I deleted it on gmail's web app.

athenslb57
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
On the phone with ATT now. I'm at 3-tier support now, they are getting ready to conference RIM in now. I don't receive mail at all when I configured my BIS with IMAP. The IMAP works perfectly with MS Outlook on my laptop so I know it doesn't seem to be on Google's side.

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 12:24 PM
On the phone with ATT now. I'm at 3-tier support now, they are getting ready to conference RIM in now. I don't receive mail at all when I configured my BIS with IMAP. The IMAP works perfectly with MS Outlook on my laptop so I know it doesn't seem to be on Google's side.

Let us know what happens. I suspect RIM has no idea google now supports IMAP.

rivviepop
10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm going to take a moment and plug our *only* up and coming full IMAP client for the BlackBerry - it's currently in a young stage but you can read, reply and send email right now (delete/trash/sent support is in the roadmap). While it's not yet ready for prime time, I encourage everyone to check it out:

Main site:
http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

Open tickets that show a good view of "where are we":
http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/report/1

The project is open source, anyone can jump in and join the development effort - right now it's primarily one developer doing all the work. I run the nightly source code builds which sometimes work and sometimes don't, so you need to be willing to play a bit.

Help create the be-all end-all IMAP client for our devices! Open source for the win. :)

Mark Rejhon
10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Riverpop,

That's an excellent addition to the list of alternative email clients for BlackBerry. Excellent for people using BlackBerries on a non-BlackBerry data plan (regular APN data instead of data over BIS). Since Rogers Canada $5 Vision data plans have 10MB, and Rogers Canada $40 BlackBerry plans have only 7MB. This Canadian data pricing means some of us are using GMAIL Mobile on $5 data plans as a workaround for expensive Canadian BlackBerry plans.

For more information about using BlackBerry on generic data plans, see the sticky in the "BlackBerry Network" topic area.

athenslb57
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM

IMAP is a no go with with RIM and this is straight from RIM. I have been on the phone with ATT & RIM. The RIM support guy said since gmail uses special hybrid protocols and notification servers its better to use the pop way. Oh well.

havanese
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
After earlier success I am not getting sync between BB and web app. I do receive new emails on a scattered time frame, but deleting emails in web app or from BB do not sync back to the other side like it should with IMAP. Strange.

Wishdemon
10-24-2007, 01:17 PM

From reading the threads, it looks like what some of the others were having problems with is the same as mine - I could never sync the deletions, most likely bc I was using pop - thats why i thought we'd get two way sync now...now i understand!

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
IMAP is a no go with with RIM and this is straight from RIM. I have been on the phone with ATT & RIM. The RIM support guy said since gmail uses special hybrid protocols and notification servers its better to use the pop way. Oh well.

That's what I figured. Did you get the feeling that all IMAP-IDLE support for non-gmail IMAP accounts were also a no-go w/RIM?

athenslb57
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
That's what I figured. Did you get the feeling that all IMAP-IDLE support for non-gmail IMAP accounts were also a no-go w/RIM?

Funny thing was, he told me RIM preferred IMAP but for GMAIL they have setup special notification servers which is why POP is preferred with Gmail. Said we would have more options with the POP way vs. IMAP. I am gonna configure IMAP on my 8125 Windows mobile 6 phone tonight and see how it works there. IMAP is working beautifully on the Iphone, I set it up this morning for a friend.

rivviepop
10-24-2007, 01:46 PM

I would guess it's because IMAP (and the IDLE extension) help make people realize how piss-poor BIS actually is comparatively. Anyone who's used a good mobile IMAP client with caching ability (for reading/replying disconnected) understands that BIS is no better than a junky old POP account. IMAP competes directly with their BES product which is why we don't get an IMAP client on the phone (unlike every other phone out there almost).

athenslb57
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I would guess it's because IMAP (and the IDLE extension) help make people realize how piss-poor BIS actually is comparatively. Anyone who's used a good mobile IMAP client with caching ability (for reading/replying disconnected) understands that BIS is no better than a junky old POP account. IMAP competes directly with their BES product which is why we don't get an IMAP client on the phone (unlike every other phone out there almost).

You are right on with your assessment of BIS. It is down right pitiful actually. I might very well be going back to my 8125 w/ WM6 or getting an iphone since they are both working great with IMAP accounts.

whsbuss
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM

You make a good point. However, IMAP is only for email whereas the BES does give calendar/tasks/memo sync functionality. I sure hope RIM will support realtime IMAP soon.

rivviepop
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
You make a good point. However, IMAP is only for email whereas the BES does give calendar/tasks/memo sync functionality. I sure hope RIM will support realtime IMAP soon.

...which is why they also don't natively include a SyncML client - I sync my cal/con/task (memos coming, client limitation) over the air, no need for BES. Again, almost every mobile (except Windows Mobile devices) besides the BlackBerry include SyncML support; Nokia for instance has been doing it for a decade probably.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BB - but there were obvious, blatant things kept out of the device OS so as not to compete with the BES offering.

cdoggLBC
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my BB - but there were obvious, blatant things kept out of the device OS so as not to compete with the BES offering.

It is a shame to. Because there are A LOT of other reasons to use BES (end to end encryption, management features, etc., are a few things that come to mind). They could even come out with a version of BES that supports Google Apps....

unknownvirus
10-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Ok I guess from reading this thread. We are basically out of luck when it comes to using gmail imap? Although some people did get it to work, there were delays. I guess we should continue to look into this over a few days until imap is implimented entirely throughout googles systems.

I'm just looking for message status sync. That would be great

Jaime
10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Message status sync is the only missing thing from imap? Or I'm missing something?

Best,
Jaime

rivviepop
10-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok I guess from reading this thread. We are basically out of luck when it comes to using gmail imap? Although some people did get it to work, there were delays. I guess we should continue to look into this over a few days until imap is implimented entirely throughout googles systems.

They're experiencing growing pains right now - I was working with my boss in Thunderbird plugging it in (we were just poking a stick at things, seeing how to connect the Sent and Trash properly, etc. - nerding out) and right in the middle of our playtime Google disabled the IMAP access on his account. Poof, gone - webUI and everything.

It might be wise to give it a couple days for the smoke to clear and give the GMail team time to put the remaining fires out.

cdoggLBC
10-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Hmm... Tried again disabling POP in my Gmail Acct. But it is always re-enabled after deleting/re-adding Gmail acct to BIS.
Maybe because the integration automatically enables POP in the Gmail acct for you?

This is exactly what happens. The BIS will activate POP in your GMail account to pull messages if it is not already active. It looks like RIM is probably using some sort of proprietary Google 'notification' RPC to tell the BIS there is a msg (hence the 'notification server' that RIM techs are always referencing when talking about getting GMail accounts to push), then POP to get the actual msg off the server.... It goes to reason then, that with some slight modifications on RIM's part the notification RPC (whether it is or is not an RPC of some sort I don't know, just guessing) can now be integrated with IMAP and us GMailers should be able to have the same experience as Yahoo users.

rivviepop
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
It looks like RIM is probably using some sort of proprietary Google 'notification' RPC to tell the BIS there is a msg (hence the 'notification server' that RIM techs are always referencing when talking about getting GMail accounts to push), then POP to get the actual msg off the server....

I bet it's not even proprietary - the system probably polls for messages since the last poll (date/time saved in notification server) and stores all the UIDs for each message; if any new UIDs pop up that are not saved from the last poll in the infamous notification server then it knows to retrieve them and push out to the client (adding it's own RIM-internal UID I'm sure). Then when you delete from your handheld it issues a typical POP/IMAP command to delete the email and so forth.

(I'm sure it's way, way more complicated than this :) )

whsbuss
10-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Found this.

Blackberry (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882&topic=12761)

athenslb57
10-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Found this.

Blackberry (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882&topic=12761)

Same link was posted yesterday on the 1st page of this thread. It doesn't work as I was on the phone with RIM for over an hour.

JGBerry
10-25-2007, 08:17 AM
what's the point of using IMAP with BIS? BIS has 2-way sync with Gmail already in POP3 ...

whsbuss
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Same link was posted yesterday on the 1st page of this thread. It doesn't work as I was on the phone with RIM for over an hour.

It works, but its standard IMAP w/BIS - 15 minute polling.

whsbuss
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
what's the point of using IMAP with BIS? BIS has 2-way sync with Gmail already in POP3 ...

I'm not sure about the 2-way sync but its not how true IMAP should work. IMAP has the ability (with IMAP-IDLE) to sync read/unread/delete. Its RIM's BIS that doesn't implement it (yet?)

whsbuss
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Any notice if their Yahoo accounts are doing 2-way syncing? I added one of my yahoo address to the BIS. However, deletes/read/unread are not immediate like it was before. Also instant push is a bit delayed (up to 5 minutes).

dheida
10-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Last night around 6 MTN the list of supported IMAP clients on the GMAIL site had about 15 including Blackberry. Now it's down to like 5 without Blackberry.

onyx00
10-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Funny, because just last week I talked to RIM about 2-way sync. with GMail (Hosted version) and they said the read/unread status didn't sync. because GMail doesn't support IMAP. Okay, no problem.

But now that GMail supports IMAP, 2-way sync. should work. I tried setting up my account using the instructions earlier in this thread and I was able to get mail, but it seemed to be the 15-minute polling. I don't understand why you cannot get both *instant* e-mail delivery, AND 2-way sync. now that GMail supports IMAP.

Am I missing something?

athenslb57
10-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Funny, because just last week I talked to RIM about 2-way sync. with GMail (Hosted version) and they said the read/unread status didn't sync. because GMail doesn't support IMAP. Okay, no problem.

But now that GMail supports IMAP, 2-way sync. should work. I tried setting up my account using the instructions earlier in this thread and I was able to get mail, but it seemed to be the 15-minute polling. I don't understand why you cannot get both *instant* e-mail delivery, AND 2-way sync. now that GMail supports IMAP.

Am I missing something?

Your not missing anything, RIM is.

monkeypaw
10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I thought mine had been working, but the only thing it does is mark messages read on Gmail if I read it on the BB. That happens fast enough that I couldn't start the stopwatch. Kind of surprising since it took up to 14 minutes for the messages to hit the BB after showing up online.

The other way around, the messages weren't marked as read on the BB. Delete didn't work either way. Showing the message as read is the only thing different from setting up as POP.

noeffectx
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
as of now pop is still the best way to go

unknownvirus
10-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I have pop set up now and if I delete from bb it deletes on gmail

I would rather have message status sync though

JGBerry
10-26-2007, 07:20 AM
ever since Gmail added IMAP...everyone seems to think that their BB will start acting like a mail client. before people whine about not having client functionality on their Blackberry....they need to first understand the functionality of the Blackberry itself. THink of it more as a 2-way pager...and BIS sends you the pages (emails etc). while this is obviously an over simplified explanation, this concept is what RIM was founded on. their very first devices were 2 way pagers pretty much. when PDA/Smartphones came around, they had the capability to run an email program such as Outlook so it can be more like their desktop. there are pro's and cons in each... but if you are a Blackberry user...please stop asking:

"since Gmail is IMAP...will I see all of my folders and will it give me access to all of my emails, even read ones, even deleted ones...will i have a folder/label system like in Thunderbird when I set up Gmail IMAP on that?"

Blackberry is a solid device and does what it does better than any other device.

peace

redsoxnation
10-26-2007, 07:26 AM
So this has absolutly nothing to do with the gmail application on my BB? Because I already have sinc with my app. If I delete somthing on my BB or Computer it automaticly shows on the other.

whsbuss
10-26-2007, 08:35 AM
So this has absolutly nothing to do with the gmail application on my BB? Because I already have sinc with my app. If I delete somthing on my BB or Computer it automaticly shows on the other.

Correct. This discussion revolves around the BIS for email integration.

rivviepop
10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Hack idea for someone to try (I can't as I have the Hosted Domain setup, we don't have IMAP rolled out to us yet):

1) find a random IMAP server to configure in BIS that is *not* gmail (if anyone knows of free IMAP email services for this, pipe up!)

2) after completing config, go back and edit the account in BIS to be your normal GMail login - I'm thinking that it won't check if you edit *after the fact* a gmail account

What I'm curious is if you can short-circuit the BIS logic during initial setup by using a real IMAP-non-Google account, then going back and shoving in your gmail credentials as an IMAP setup instead of the auto-detected gmail.

Give it a shot, let us know. :)

unknownvirus
10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Hack idea for someone to try (I can't as I have the Hosted Domain setup, we don't have IMAP rolled out to us yet):

1) find a random IMAP server to configure in BIS that is *not* gmail (if anyone knows of free IMAP email services for this, pipe up!)

2) after completing config, go back and edit the account in BIS to be your normal GMail login - I'm thinking that it won't check if you edit *after the fact* a gmail account

What I'm curious is if you can short-circuit the BIS logic during initial setup by using a real IMAP-non-Google account, then going back and shoving in your gmail credentials as an IMAP setup instead of the auto-detected gmail.

Give it a shot, let us know. :)

i actually used to use this as a solutuon for some email setups when i used to do blackberry support for ATT
someone wanna give it a try? im too lazy

rivviepop
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
i actually used to use this as a solutuon for some email setups when i used to do blackberry support for ATT
someone wanna give it a try? im too lazy

Looks like the idea is dead in the water -- you can get quick & easy free IMAP accounts from Fastmail.fm (kinda sweet, actually). The new IMAP account plugs right into BIS without any problems, but then when you try and edit the account you cannot change the 'username' field in the web UI. arrgh. Oh well, it was a good idea.

Jaime
10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
My hosted google email got imap. I deleted from BIS, disabled pop, enabled imap and reactivated the account. BIS enabled pop again.

Best,
Jaime

Casper TFG
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Scuse my ignorance but does the IMAP functionality have any benefit for people wanting to use a Gmail account as a spam filter that forwards to their BB?

Or not?

I have become the human spam filter

Go daddy pop 3 (cant manually configure their filters in any way)
Apple Mail - at office (this kills the spam OK)
BB - on the road - gets all the spam... :x

rivviepop
10-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Scuse my ignorance but does the IMAP functionality have any benefit for people wanting to use a Gmail account as a spam filter that forwards to their BB?

In a pure forwarding situation, not really - at that point IMAP is of no more use than POP because you're not actually managing the email on GMail, just using it as a passthru. The only way IMAP makes (or will make once they update BIS) a positive benefit is if you're actually using that email account to ... uh, "do" the email I guess you could say.

whsbuss
10-26-2007, 09:06 PM
My hosted google email got imap. I deleted from BIS, disabled pop, enabled imap and reactivated the account. BIS enabled pop again.

Best,
Jaime

That's because RIM implemented goggle hosted domains in their BIS setup. It looks at the MX record, and if google, automatically setup the account as if it were Gmail including the notification server for push email.

We have to wait for RIM to implement (again) IMAP-IDLE before we get true IMAP functionality.

JGBerry
10-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Gmail in Thunderbird with IMAP is sweet...but it has several kinks. it was a great first start but it definitely needs improvement.

veks
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
i just changed my settings from having pop and imap enabled to disabled. i noticed that my email took about 3 minutes to receive from the instantaneuos i had before.

i guess it works for some and for others it doesnt. just make sure you guys and gals still get your email...

onyx00
10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
We have to wait for RIM to implement (again) IMAP-IDLE before we get true IMAP functionality.

I agree; I believe this is exactly what the problem is. I was planning to call RIM and complain because on a previous RIM ticket they said "well Google doesn't support IMAP and that is why 2-way sync. doesn't work." So it seems a little stupid that now that Google supports IMAP, RIM is not set up properly to work with it...

I'll call RIM on Monday and see if I can get some more information.

whsbuss
10-29-2007, 06:26 AM
I agree; I believe this is exactly what the problem is. I was planning to call RIM and complain because on a previous RIM ticket they said "well Google doesn't support IMAP and that is why 2-way sync. doesn't work." So it seems a little stupid that now that Google supports IMAP, RIM is not set up properly to work with it...

I'll call RIM on Monday and see if I can get some more information.

Let us know how you make out.

mrking
10-29-2007, 03:34 PM
hmmm, i have had a gmail account since back in the day. and yet no IMAP activation has been placed on it (not available in my options). I log out and log in. delete cookies. nothing.

I created a new account to test things out and that new account has access to IMAP controls.

WTF is up with that. existing users get screwed? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rivviepop
10-29-2007, 04:09 PM
WTF is up with that. existing users get screwed? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yup, same here - created a new user in my Hosted domain and that user has IMAP access right away, yet my existing one is still in limbo. :(

whsbuss
10-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Interesting.... One gmail account has IMAP the other does not. And one hosted domain has it and the other doesn't.

JGBerry
10-30-2007, 01:00 AM
if you read the Gmail blog, they didn't give IMAP functionality to all users instantly. they said they are doing it in stages etc. I have had Gmail since January 2007 and my accounts wasn't one of the first ones to get it, rather it was a day later. I'm not sure what their decision is based on when they choose which accounts are to be given IMAP functionality... maybe they base it off of if you use POP3 a lot? I know I used Gmail with both my Blackberry and with Mozilla Thunderbird. Maybe they knew that and made the decision based off that. Or...that could be totally wrong and they made the decision based off your inbox size... or...it could have just been totally random. I would give it a few more days b/c a friend of mine, who has had Gmail for a year or two, still doesn't have it.

peace

virgiliomi
11-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Ok... My GMail IMAP and Blackberry experiences...

- Not all new messages are appearing on my Blackberry
- WHEN I get notified of a new message, it's usually about 5 min. or so after it actually arrived in my Gmail account
- When I read the message on my Blackberry, in less than a minute, it's marked as read on Gmail
- When I delete a message on my Blackberry and Mailbox, it's gone from my Gmail account in less than a minute
- This also applies for taking an item that has been read and marking it as unread.
- Haven't tried status changes on Gmail Web -> Blackberry.
- Haven't messed with folders or anything of the sort... the folders (labels) that are already in my Gmail account don't seem to show up on my Blackberry.

I'm attributing the problems to Gmail's growing pains... and hope they'll eventually be fixed. In the meantime, I think I may go back to POP3... at least until the IMAP issues are ironed out.

whsbuss
11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Ok... My GMail IMAP and Blackberry experiences...

- Not all new messages are appearing on my Blackberry
- WHEN I get notified of a new message, it's usually about 5 min. or so after it actually arrived in my Gmail account
- When I read the message on my Blackberry, in less than a minute, it's marked as read on Gmail
- When I delete a message on my Blackberry and Mailbox, it's gone from my Gmail account in less than a minute
- This also applies for taking an item that has been read and marking it as unread.
- Haven't tried status changes on Gmail Web -> Blackberry.
- Haven't messed with folders or anything of the sort... the folders (labels) that are already in my Gmail account don't seem to show up on my Blackberry.

I'm attributing the problems to Gmail's growing pains... and hope they'll eventually be fixed. In the meantime, I think I may go back to POP3... at least until the IMAP issues are ironed out.

This is exactly what I see including google hosted domains. RIM is working on the problem of delayed BB delivery (in some cases I get the first emai instantly then others take up to 5 minutes to arrive).

What I see is 1-way sync between the BB and Gmail. Any activity on the Gmail side (web interface or IMAP thru Outlook) does not sync to the BB.

virgiliomi
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I did some cleaning of my mailbox... dumped the 9,000+ messages in the spam folder, cleaned up some of the mail in my various tags... bringing my inbox down to about 1,300 messages... then re-set up the IMAP. It seems to be working consistently now, every message coming through to the Blackberry... and a 2-4 minute delay between arriving at Gmail and arriving on my Blackberry.

Also, it does appear that it is one-way, where changes made on the Blackberry (read/unread, deleted, etc.) sync back to the mailbox, but changes made on the web don't sync to the Blackberry. Which is fine for me. I do most of my message reading on my Blackberry anyway. I really only use the web for reporting spam anymore... and in reality, I could do that with the Gmail Blackberry client.

JOVE
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
When I write an email from my BB using BIS, Gmail, IMAP, sent messages are NOT showing up in my sent message folder on the gmail server.

Anyone else experience this?

For the most part everything else seems to be happening the way everyone esle is describing with the one-way sync from bb to gmail.

Any news from RIM? Have they caught up with gmail's IMAP yet?

rivviepop
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM
When I write an email from my BB using BIS, Gmail, IMAP, sent messages are NOT showing up in my sent message folder on the gmail server.
Anyone else experience this?

Yes - in my BIS I have the same email address in the BCC field so a copy of every email is sent back to myself. I then use the standard method of BIS filters to make sure I don't get copies of my own email forwarded to the device. I don't quite understand from Google's point of view why it works, but those BCC'd emails back to myself are automatically routed into my Sent folder in GMail.

coastieboy00
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
So everyone else still have slow IMAP access? POP access still the fastest way to get the instant delivery?

whsbuss
11-09-2007, 09:34 PM
So everyone else still have slow IMAP access? POP access still the fastest way to get the instant delivery?

You bet. IMAP on google needs some time to beta in. I have one account in Outlook doing google IMAP and I get server disconnects. So I'd stay away from using it in the BIS.

YMMV

hookem12387
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Is there anyway at all to have pop for BIS and IMAP for a desktop client? I'm guessing no, but I'd really love it

coastieboy00
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Is there anyway at all to have pop for BIS and IMAP for a desktop client? I'm guessing no, but I'd really love it

This is my current. setup. BIS is on POP3 and Apple Mail is IMAP. No issue.

bbkingrocks
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM

Not sure this is what you're asking, but if you leave the password blank when setting up the BIS account, you will see the option to enter the settings manually. I think you can enter the POP mail server rather than have the settings automatically set for you.

whsbuss
11-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm setup the same way but do have connect issues with Outlook to my google hosted domain via IMAP. Sometimes it just times out.

eroq
11-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Just wanted to chime in that almost all of the issues I have read above relating to problems with IMAP are the same issues I have experienced trying to get it to work with Outlook (2007).

IMAP for Gmail is just too Beta(ish), in my opinion and we all should stop wasting our time troubleshooting...

eroq
11-16-2007, 04:04 AM
If, as I have read over and over here and as I am currently experiencing, emails are being gathered before being delivered and then periodically sent, this is, to me, a major problem.

One of the reasons I got the BB is it's seeming solid performance as a work tool. Why should we accept that this lag occurs?

What's more, I am seeing much longer lagtimes. If I am completely off Outlook on all my accounts/machines, then, the lag seems to taper off.

It sounds like there is more support for Yahoo then Gmail (or, at least, Yahoo is supporting BB, syncing, etc. more). As an experiment, I am forwarding Gmails to a Yahoo account to see if they relay faster to the BB. I just set it up and will have to wait a few before it kicks in.

Roo Zilla
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I am having no problems with Gmail delivery, and that's with both regular Gmail and Google Apps. I usually get it within seconds of sending and I've tested it myself because I tend to send myself a lot of emails with things to remember. I also use IMAP with Outlook and again, works fine for me. At the moment, yahoo is better in the sense that it sychs reads with Blackberry, but I find that Gmail is quite a but faster. I usually receive Gmail within 5 seconds, but with yahoo, it can be as long as 3-4 minutes, which isn't bad at all, but still..... I presume Google will eventually get on the ball and allow synching Gmail with Blackberry. I personally prefer Gmail because it doesn't send spam signatures and also because I got in early (within weeks of them having it), I got a easy to remember name.

airjan23
11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Based on the IMAP problems and only one-way syncing, would you recommend just switching back to POP? Also, has anyone else noticed a bundling of messages received on the BB rather than each one coming in individually?

whsbuss
11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm seeing better push response for gmail today. Getting message within 20 seconds. However, the 1-way read sync doesn't seem to be working.

I have my google hosted account setup in Outlook 2003 via IMAP. After I read a message in the BB it never updates. But deletes from the BB show up within 30 seconds. Strange. Hope google works out the kinks and give us 2-way sync like yahoo.

airjan23
11-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm seeing better push response for gmail today. Getting message within 20 seconds. However, the 1-way read sync doesn't seem to be working.

I have my google hosted account setup in Outlook 2003 via IMAP. After I read a message in the BB it never updates. But deletes from the BB show up within 30 seconds. Strange. Hope google works out the kinks and give us 2-way sync like yahoo.

Seems like my messages are showing up every 19 minutes, 1:19, 1:38, 1:57 etc. Is anyone else having a similar issue and would disabling IMAP and re-enabling POP fix this?

whsbuss
11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Seems like my messages are showing up every 19 minutes, 1:19, 1:38, 1:57 etc. Is anyone else having a similar issue and would disabling IMAP and re-enabling POP fix this?

If you're using IMAP in the BIS, then yes. Instant push email for gmail is only supported via POP.

AnthroMatt
11-16-2007, 04:25 PM

No issues with Apple Mail on IMAP and BIS on POP? Apple Mail always stops downloading new messages from the GMail IMAP account.

I have read of this problem, but everyone's solution is to delete the acct. and re-add it. BUt all that does is fix it for a few hours. Sooner or later the GMail IMAP stops being received by Apple Mail.

JOVE
11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
So... I've decided to use imap, gmail only on my BIS. Just to see the full functionality of it. Here is what I've found:

Yes, you can delete from BB and instantly Outlook & Gmail automatically archive the email.

If you archive from gmail or Outlook, it will not delete from you BB, ***RIGHT AWAY*** It does however, delete the email from your BB given a few hours or so. I've seen it go for 3 and 16 hours before it actually deletes off the BB.

When I receive emails on BB, it doesn't feel like it's polling every 15 minutes. I had a treo and it had a set time exactly 5 (you could set it to 5 minutes) minutes later you knew you were getting mail. On the BB sometimes I'll get like 3 or 4 messages all at once, so I figure, maybe it just polled and that's why they all came suddenly. But then, 3 minutes later i'll get another one. When I look at the time sent on the email, it was sent right then! Like instant push.

Still, if I send from BB email program, nothing shows up in my sent folder on the Gmail server. But this is easily fixed by sending from Gmail app for BBs.

To me it sounds like the two-way sync technology IS there, but needs to be worked on. Can't wait for that day to come!

bbkingrocks
11-20-2007, 06:29 PM
So... I've decided to use imap, gmail only on my BIS. Just to see the full functionality of it. Here is what I've found:

Yes, you can delete from BB and instantly Outlook & Gmail automatically archive the email.

If you archive from gmail or Outlook, it will not delete from you BB, ***RIGHT AWAY*** It does however, delete the email from your BB given a few hours or so. I've seen it go for 3 and 16 hours before it actually deletes off the BB.

When I receive emails on BB, it doesn't feel like it's polling every 15 minutes. I had a treo and it had a set time exactly 5 (you could set it to 5 minutes) minutes later you knew you were getting mail. On the BB sometimes I'll get like 3 or 4 messages all at once, so I figure, maybe it just polled and that's why they all came suddenly. But then, 3 minutes later i'll get another one. When I look at the time sent on the email, it was sent right then! Like instant push.

Still, if I send from BB email program, nothing shows up in my sent folder on the Gmail server. But this is easily fixed by sending from Gmail app for BBs.

To me it sounds like the two-way sync technology IS there, but needs to be worked on. Can't wait for that day to come!

Hard to believe it might be carrier specific, but all my BB sent emails show up in my Gmail Imap sent items folder.

JOVE
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
WEIRD!!! I have sprint and have both a normal Gmail and a Google Apps gmail account and neither of them show up in my Gmail Sent Folder on the server...

rivviepop
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
WEIRD!!! I have sprint and have both a normal Gmail and a Google Apps gmail account and neither of them show up in my Gmail Sent Folder on the server...

Put your own email address into the 'BCC' field in your BIS account setup for the GMail/Apps Hosted and it'll start saving a copy to your Sent.

JOVE
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
forgive me if I am wrong. but doesn't that just send a copy to yourself into the inbox? I would rather have a message that looks like it was sent and put into the sent folder. that way in gmail you can also see the threaded messages that go along with it.

rivviepop
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
forgive me if I am wrong. but doesn't that just send a copy to yourself into the inbox? I would rather have a message that looks like it was sent and put into the sent folder. that way in gmail you can also see the threaded messages that go along with it.

I wouldn't have said it if it didn't work - I do it as well. Google has some sort of special hooks that recognize the BCC coming from BIS and routes it into Sent, just try it for yourself - takes all of 2 minutes.

whsbuss
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
GMail IMAP is just not ready for prime time. Hope RIM includes hooks for instant email and 2-way sync soon.

JOVE
11-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Update: seems like they are working on something...

Still using IMAP only on gmail.

Now when I delete from gmail server, outlook or gmail app, email deletes from blackberry within 5 minutes.

I know its not instant but it is a step up from 3 to 16 hours that it was originally taking.

Anyone else find these results?

mikeruoc
11-28-2007, 06:16 AM
I am testing now. Are you deleting or Archiving? I archived an email and it has been 10 minutes so far and it is still on the BB

Thanks

Now when I delete from gmail server, outlook or gmail app, email deletes from blackberry within 5 minutes.

I know its not instant but it is a step up from 3 to 16 hours that it was originally taking.

BFEINZIMER
11-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Hmm the sent mail has been working for me, though when brought up and replied to from the BB it comes up separate in gmail (non-threaded??)

whsbuss
11-28-2007, 07:29 AM

But using IMAP does not deliver to the BB in push fashion, right?

Jaime
11-28-2007, 07:33 AM
How do I make BIS use IMAP instead of POP?

Best,
Jaime

whsbuss
11-28-2007, 08:35 AM
How do I make BIS use IMAP instead of POP?

Best,
Jaime

Listed on the 1st page of this thread.

Jaime
11-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Do I need to set up the sent email filter when I use IMAP?

Best,
Jaime

mikeruoc
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
My stuff does delete from the BB now. It is taking about an hour which is better than before. But the incoming is delayed anywhere from 2 or 3 minutes to 30 minutes. I hope that changes but it is nice not to have to clean the BB all the time!

JOVE
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
To answer some questions...

Yes, I am archiving from gmail and it deletes from BB.
No, IMAP is still not pushing emails to phone, takes anywhere from 1 - 15 minutes.
Sent messages from BB still do not show up in sent folder on gmail server unless you do some tweaking as described earlier.

mikeruoc
11-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah it is working for me now also but it is taking about an hour for the email to delete from the BB and it has taken up to 30 mins for a new email to show up. Seems better but I switched back. I want my email quick. :smile:

To answer some questions...

Yes, I am archiving from gmail and it deletes from BB.
No, IMAP is still not pushing emails to phone, takes anywhere from 1 - 15 minutes.
Sent messages from BB still do not show up in sent folder on gmail server unless you do some tweaking as described earlier.

Maximus_Prime
11-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Yes, it does.

My gmail doesn't have 2-way sync.
I did a test on it.
I sent 2 emails to my gmail acct,
I read 1 on BB, the other one on Pc. They still count as new messages on each other. ( on BB I still have the 2nd as unread, and the same thing on pc, the 1st one is still unread)

Could you tell me how to make them sync?

( currently my gmail setup is Enable POP and Disable IMAP)

Thanks

AnthroMatt
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I have never had deletes from GMail reconcile to the BB when using POP. I just witched to IMAP last night and now there is 2 way sync, but the messages are no longer coming instantly to my BB (as others using IMAP have already reported). That's not a big deal to me, as I don't need instant push when I am at my computer (in fact if I delete the message from my IMAP client soon enough it never even ends up on my BB, which is nice), and when I am away from my computer I don't really care that it might be taking 5-15 minutes to get an email.

whsbuss
11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
I have never had deletes from GMail reconcile to the BB when using POP. I just witched to IMAP last night and now there is 2 way sync, but the messages are no longer coming instantly to my BB (as others using IMAP have already reported). That's not a big deal to me, as I don't need instant push when I am at my computer (in fact if I delete the message from my IMAP client soon enough it never even ends up on my BB, which is nice), and when I am away from my computer I don't really care that it might be taking 5-15 minutes to get an email.

Until RIM support IMAP-IDLE (like they did a few months ago for a brief time) you will not get instant delivery. When you setup an account in the BIS it first tries IMAP @<hidden> 143. If not available, then POP @<hidden> 110. Both are polled service.

whsbuss
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
My gmail doesn't have 2-way sync.
I did a test on it.
I sent 2 emails to my gmail acct,
I read 1 on BB, the other one on Pc. They still count as new messages on each other. ( on BB I still have the 2nd as unread, and the same thing on pc, the 1st one is still unread)

Could you tell me how to make them sync?

( currently my gmail setup is Enable POP and Disable IMAP)

Thanks

Your setup indicates you're using the standard POP gmail setup - instant delivery to your BB and 1-way sync BB -> gmail. What we're sharing here is BIS setup for IMAP on gmail.

mrhumble1
11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Greetings,

Would someone please detail how to set up BCC on the Blackberry so my sent messages show up the my Sent Items folder on Gmail?

Thank you,

Jason

rivviepop
11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Would someone please detail how to set up BCC on the Blackberry so my sent messages show up the my Sent Items folder on Gmail?

Offtopic for this thread, but it's dead simple: log into my.t-mobile.com on your desktop browser. Click on the nav bar item at the top labeled "Phone & Accessories", then click on the nav bar on the right labeled "Set up BlackBerry Internet E-mail". Click on the little 'edit' icon to the right of your desired account, and you'll see an "Auto BCC:" field - stick your own email address in there, they'll be BCC'd back and Google will put them in your Sent folder.

whsbuss
11-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Offtopic for this thread, but it's dead simple: log into my.t-mobile.com on your desktop browser. Click on the nav bar item at the top labeled "Phone & Accessories", then click on the nav bar on the right labeled "Set up BlackBerry Internet E-mail". Click on the little 'edit' icon to the right of your desired account, and you'll see an "Auto BCC:" field - stick your own email address in there, they'll be BCC'd back and Google will put them in your Sent folder.

Maybe its different on T-Mo but on my VZW BIS when I put my address in the Bcc: it places the copy both in the inbox and sent mail.

AnthroMatt
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe its different on T-Mo but on my VZW BIS when I put my address in the Bcc: it places the copy both in the inbox and sent mail.

Same with Sprint.

rivviepop
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
The poster lists T-Mobile as his carrier, which I have - the solution works in my setup. Verizon and Sprint issues don't apply, and let's stop threadcrapping - this is about GMail and IMAP, I really shouldn't have replied in the first place.

mrhumble1
11-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I appreciate your reply. I think this is on topic because I am trying to make Gmail accessible on my phone via IMAP.

I did try your suggestion already, and I got the BCC in my inbox. Since I don't want all of my sent messages from my phone in my inbox, I removed the setting.

Everything else works fairly well. I get emails on my phone pretty quickly, and after reading them on my phone they are marked as read on Gmail. It still doesn't work the other way around (read mails on Gmail are NOT marked on my phone) but I'm gonna be patient and hope they fix that. However, I really would like my sent items archived on Gmail.

Any other ideas?

Jason

rivviepop
12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Any other ideas?

Let's compare headers from an email - here is one I sent from my device yesterday to a support team, it properly BCC'd to my GMail and went into Sent Items as expected. I do not have any filters in GMail to do this (just double-checked), and I use a Hosted domain which I assume is still POP since I didn't try IMAP with it yet (from reports on this thread I'm holding back, waiting).

(some items masked/altered for my privacy)

Return-Path: <me@<hidden>>
Received: from bda128-cell01.bisx.prod.on.blackberry ( [216.9.249.128])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id f79sm4541395pyh.2007.11.30.10.21.16
(version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:21:22 -0800 (PST)
X-rim-org-msg-ref-id:328693748
Message-ID:<328693748-1196446869-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1380088810-@<hidden>>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Reply-To: me@<hidden>
X-Priority: High
Sensitivity: Normal
Importance: High
To: support@<hidden>
Subject: super spiffy email subject to support
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:19:33 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain
MIME-Version: 1.0

So you see the BIS server sending a copy to the GMail server (the Received: line) and nothing else, so it was a direct point A to point B email from RIM to GMail. I see no special headers (like an X-google-rim-sent-blahblahblah header) that would designate a relationship between RIM and Google for using the Sent Items folder, so the magic has to be happening at the Google end of things - they "just know" it's Sent and file it accordingly. Also, the recipient (support@<hidden>) is in my GMail address book already, maybe that's also a factor?

I know that if I send an email from one of my alternate addresses (so the from is not me@<hidden> but someuser@<hidden>) then the message is *not* placed in my Sent Items, it's put in the Inbox and re-delivered back down to my handheld. I would consider this an "as expected" scenario.

mrhumble1
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Well it looks like everything is working as well as it is going to work right now. I did notice something odd this morning. I forwarded a message to myself (from the Blackberry) to make sure the formatting was correct, and that message was in the sent items folder in Gmail. I then sent a message to my wife and that one was NOT in the sent items folder. Weird. Hopefully one day these issues will be resolved.

For me, this is my first Blackberry and I'm just happy to be able to stay connected wherever I go.

Great. I just got a "uncaught exception: DSSMA: invalid state(5):2" error. Joy.

Jason

Hauser
12-01-2007, 05:22 PM
My experience with Gmail IMAP on my 8820 starting today is as follows:

Email sent from my BB reaches recipients.
Email sent from my BB shows up in my Gmail web interface Sent folder.
Email sent from my BB does not show up in my BB inbox (unlike it did when I was using POP, because Rogers doesn't have filter options that allows you to filter those messages out).
Emails opened or deleted on the BB are reflected as such in my Gmail web interface.
Emails opened or deleted in my Gmail web interface are not updated in my BB.
I don't see any new labels in my Gmail web interface like [Imap]/Sent like other people have been reporting and like some Google documentation describes (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78757).

In terms of synchronization delays, I'm seeing anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes, which I don't quite understand but fortunately can live with as I'm not working front-line support or any similar sort of role.

I haven't tried labels/folders yet, and I'm curious to see if there's anyway I can search my Gmail or use the Archive feature without using the Gmail gadget.

sabrewulf
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Is this a Gmail-only issue? Or is the same thing happening for yahoo?

KlumpDud
12-06-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone! Just to add an update to this thread, here's what I'm experiencing:

I have google apps mail with POP and IMAP disabled.

I just got my BB and added my google apps email address to my BIS.

Now, when I look at the POP/IMAP settings on the web UI, both POP and IMAP are enabled even though I didn't enable them.

I'm getting instant notification on my BB for incoming emails, and when i delete an email on my BB it instantly gets deleted on the web UI.

But as mentioned by everyone else, deleting an email via the web UI does not delete it on my BB (it's been 15 minutes so far and it's still there).

Just FYI.

Aleko
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I seem to have all the same problems (or maybe I shouldn't call them problems, but rather the way Gmail's IMPA/POP is implemented), but here is another fairly annoying issue I've found; if I delete emails one at a time, they are deleted from Gmail UI/Outlook almost instantly (with a 5-10 seconds delay); however, if I delete multiple emails together, none of them are deleted from the server. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Aleko
12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I seem to have all the same problems (or maybe I shouldn't call them problems, but rather the way Gmail's IMPA/POP is implemented), but here is another fairly annoying issue I've found; if I delete emails one at a time, they are deleted from Gmail UI/Outlook almost instantly (with a 5-10 seconds delay); however, if I delete multiple emails together, none of them are deleted from the server. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Furthermore, deleting even a single email by clicking on the date header and selecting the "Delete Prior" does not delete it from the server. :( So, you have to delete each email one at a time for it to be deleted from the server, which is a pain in the tail if you have dozens of emails to delete.

polo2883
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Does anyone have an update on this.

Is IMAP Gmail working faster now?

whsbuss
01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Does anyone have an update on this.

Is IMAP Gmail working faster now?

No change that I am aware of.

coastieboy00
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I thought the slowness had to do with how BIS pulls IMAP, every 15 minutes.

faibs
04-02-2008, 01:49 AM
any update re. this issue?

SteveO86
04-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Honestly I have not gone back to try IMAP on my BlackBerry, I am waiting to see some official news from Google/Gmail before I bother with it again.

I emailed a question to Gmail Support a few months ago but I never got a response.

JohnPMP
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
For what it is worth, my company just gave me access to their IMAP functionality, which is running on Exchange Server. I am seeing exactly the same behavior on this account that I did when I was attempting IMAP for GMail (I have since reverted to GMail's POP functionality and am very happy with its performance).

This proves to me that the problem is in the way BB (or maybe Verizon's implementation of BB) handles the IMAP protocols. I can't blaim GMail for that one. Now the question is, how do we get this fixed???

SteveO86
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Getting it fixed, we will probably have to wait for RIM to fix it.

rsmith7
04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe I am off the mark but I was able to get the IMAP only email setup. Following the instructions from Gmail (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882&topic=12761) and the all important part to leave out your password. It will then give you the ability to enter the IMAP server.

I do not however see any of my labels.

agtprvctr
05-29-2008, 08:49 AM
So for those who have successfully gone IMAP, the mail you send from the blackberry shows up in the Sent label on the webmail? This is the one thing I could not make happen. I have a Google Apps account and I was able to set up IMAP successfully - delete and msg read sync fine, but I could not figure out how to make Blackberry sent mail show up on my webmail without using the Auto BCC feature on the BIS setup (which I don't think is ideal b/c then it shows up in the Inbox as well as Sent Mail and I have to create a filter to have it skip the Inbox and go directly to Archive).

jevid
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
So for those who have successfully gone IMAP, the mail you send from the blackberry shows up in the Sent label on the webmail? This is the one thing I could not make happen. I have a Google Apps account and I was able to set up IMAP successfully - delete and msg read sync fine, but I could not figure out how to make Blackberry sent mail show up on my webmail without using the Auto BCC feature on the BIS setup (which I don't think is ideal b/c then it shows up in the Inbox as well as Sent Mail and I have to create a filter to have it skip the Inbox and go directly to Archive).

Did you create a "sent items" label in your Gmail account? When I did that, my sent mail was showing up there...

agtprvctr
05-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Did you create a "sent items" label in your Gmail account? When I did that, my sent mail was showing up there...

I didn't, but I also don't see the sent mail anywhere, even in All Mail. Aren't labels just an organization thing? I thought the problem was that regardless of whether the BIS uses google's pop or imap server, it always uses its own SMTP server and not google's, hence the sent mail never gets sync'ed up.

skifri
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
I didn't, but I also don't see the sent mail anywhere, even in All Mail. Aren't labels just an organization thing? I thought the problem was that regardless of whether the BIS uses google's pop or imap server, it always uses its own SMTP server and not google's, hence the sent mail never gets sync'ed up.

You are right that mail from the Blackberry does not show up anywhere on gmail's site, not even in all mail.

BUT

Somehow... mysteriously... if you create a label entitled "Sent Items" in your gmail settings, all of you blackberry sent gmail WILL show up under that label folder in your gmail web account. From reading these forums it seems that initially this strange label showed up automatically in gmail as ....
[IMAP]/Sent
and
[IMAP]/Trash
... shortly after configuring IMAP on your blackberry, but now they do not. You can add "Sent Items" manually to serve the same purpose as [IMAP]/Sent.

Does anyone out there know WHERE this information came from regarding the "Sent Items" label? Are there any other pre-defined secret labels out there for gmail IMAP that would allow us to capture things such as SPAM or Deleted Items via our Blackberry?

Berrymedic20
06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I think I'm going to stick with the google app for blackberry for the time being. It gives near instant notifications (2-5 minute delay it seems), and it syncs flawlessly with the server, with no deletion or read status issues.

2 Downsides to this:
- Can't use BB contacts at all to send e-mails. It does download your google contacts though, so e-mailing shouldn't be difficult.
- The blackberry doesn't recognize it for any default e-mail functions, obviously.

Google and Blackberry REALLY need to get their heads together and get IMAP working PROPERLY. It's not that hard.

s0ldats
06-08-2008, 02:12 PM
yeah, i definitely wish there was better support for IMAP in this regard... any updates?

giorgosh
11-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Is any1 receiving corporate emails through gmail (for corporate filtering). If yes could you tell me whether all emails are forwarded to the device or just the inbox? I got filters in Outlook and only receiving inbox and not other folders :( Might Gmail solve that problem...