PDA

View Full Version : BB Email question

mrking
10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
A little bit of a noob question....

I am wondering how email is sent to the bb.

Since I am only on a 7MB/mo data plan I am a little concerned with how much data I use. So, in my BIS setup I have established a filter to just send the email headers and then if I want to read them I request the rest of it.

If I did not have 'headers only' set is the entire email sent to me regardless if I read it or not, or are just the headers sent anyway? Is it worth using the 'headers only' option?

I am just trying to figure out the best way to preserve my data flow.

Thanks for your patience.

JSanders
10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
No, only the first 2kb of the email is sent. If you open it and scroll down, it will begin to send the next 2kb.

DJChew
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Normal push of an email is the first 2kb.
When you in an email over 2k, you will se "More ???kb" at the bottom.

By default "Auto More" is on. this will request more from the server as you scroll down. This will get the next 2kb.
If the message is bigger yet, then when you get to the next "More ???kb" then the device will get another 2k, ect.

Headers only is just that.
Rather than sending the headers and the first 2kb, like above, this option will send only the headers.
That includes: Date/Time, To, From, Subject.

If you get a lot of email that you do not want to read on your device then the Headers Only option is the best to save on data costs.
Keeping in mind that this means you will have to manually request More the first time in each message (from what i remember).

ricpac
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
emails come in in chunks of 2KB.. now since "headers only" include the [Date/Time, To, From, Subject] then what's the size of an email header? or is it totally negligible?

DJChew
10-27-2007, 10:54 PM
The size of the headers depends on the size of those fields:
Date/Time, To, From, Subject

For example, you could have 200 peopel in the 'To' field.... and/or a very long Subject line.
However, it should be very small.

Just as an example, i made a text file with the following in it. I am sure the heal headers have other items in the (like RefID, and Service Book data), but just as an example, this data was 124 bytes.

"To: 123456@<hidden>
Subject: 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234
Date/time: 11:52 PM 10/27/2007 GMT-5"

ricpac
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
DJChew, sorry for the delay.. thanks for detailing further though! 8-)