PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Manager for the BBerry 8703: Question

mlangford
10-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Hey guys quick question.
I'm using Desktop Manager version 4.2.2.14 [apr 25 2007] and I can't seem to get it to work as far as uploading content from my PC to my Blackberry.

I plug in my USB cable to the BB, start DM as usual, and it tells me I'm connected. When I load The Roxio Media Manager software, everything looks fine, except the bottom part tells me that "There is no device connected. Please connect your device in order to view its contents."

My handset is the 8703e and my provider is Telus (Canada).

If anyone could help me solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
I know I'm probably missing something SUPER easy.

JSanders
10-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the BBForums!

Because you don't an SD media card on the 8703, there is nothing for it to "see". I don't know what you are trying to move to your BB, but that is not the way to do it.

Ringtones and pictures need to be downloaded from a website via your BB.
How do I get ringtones on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_get_ringtones_on_my_BlackBerry%3F)

mlangford
10-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the BBForums!

Because you don't an SD media card on the 8703, there is nothing for it to "see". I don't know what you are trying to move to your BB, but that is not the way to do it.

Ringtones and pictures need to be downloaded from a website via your BB.
How do I get ringtones on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_get_ringtones_on_my_BlackBerry%3F)

So essentially, DM is useless for any BB that doesn't utilize a memory card? I'll have to use the BB browser to download them from the internet onto my device?
Just lookin for a way to save data usage, that's all.

Thanks for the quick reply!

mlangford
10-29-2007, 12:38 AM
So essentially, DM is useless for any BB that doesn't utilize a memory card?

...other than for back-up purposes i mean.

JSanders
10-29-2007, 12:43 AM
well, other than backup, restore, sync, charging, etc.

JSanders
10-29-2007, 12:44 AM
For your older OS version, there are still some limitations. Newer OSs can use the Roxio software to do what you are tyring.

I don't think OS 4.2 is available for the 8703 yet.

NJBlackBerry
10-29-2007, 12:45 AM
More accurately - the Media Manager does nothing unless you have a Memory Card. Desktop Manager is fine.

Also, the 8703 does not have handheld OS 4.2, another requirement.

mlangford
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks for the help people.
greatly appreciated!