PDA

View Full Version : BES Transfer question....

JimCollins
11-01-2007, 06:40 AM
If I want to use my Blackberry which was set to work on a BES for Company A and I start a new job with Company B and want to use my blackberry there, What issues could I forsee? Would there be any issues with my PIN transfering?

juwaack68
11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
I would recommend asking company A to send a blank IT Policy to your device before they remove you from their BES. I don't think it will hurt anything if they won't/don't do that (as far as adding to the other BES).

However, if company B has a policy about adding personal devices to their BES (i.e., they won't, like our company), then you're stuck with company A's security policies on your device.

There wouldn't be any issues with the PIN transferring once you're on the other BES. Best to do a security wipe before activating on the other BES (do a backup first to save your address book!).

hdawg
11-01-2007, 07:03 AM
The only real concern you should have is with any existing IT Policy from Company A. If / when you leave and take the BB with you ask to have a Blank or empty IT Policy assigned to your deivce. Check out this post (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/67224-remove-policy.html) to remove the IT Policy if you can't get Company A to send you an empty one.

That said, other than wiping the device for good measure before going to the new BES, I'd upgrade the OS too ... thats it!

JimCollins
11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
The device has had all the policy removed. However I cannot get it to work with another BES. Well right now I tried using the device with BIS it tells me there is already an account for that PIN/IMEI combination. I am afraid the pin might be locked on a BES. But I did not think that it worked like that.

juwaack68
11-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Did you change your data plan by any chance? You need to make sure you have the BES/BIS data plan, and not the BIS only plan (I'm guessing you already have the correct plan, but thought I'd ask).

Have you never used the device with a BIS account before?

JimCollins
11-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Did you change your data plan by any chance? You need to make sure you have the BES/BIS data plan, and not the BIS only plan (I'm guessing you already have the correct plan, but thought I'd ask).

Have you never used the device with a BIS account before?

No, but I did buy it used. that may be the issue.

juwaack68
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
That is definately the issue. Call the carrier and ask them to release the PIN (or if you still have contact with the person you bought it from, see if they can release it for you).