PDA

View Full Version : Buying BB's on eBay

rcrivera03
06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I have put together some steps for anyone thinking of buying BB's on eBay as a guideline and suggestion. I know several of you have asked for advise on this subject and it has been talked about in several post. I thought this might be best to find in one spot. I sell on eBay, so these guidelines come from a seller. And if you have questions, you can send me a PIN message (Let me know who you are inthe forum) or send me a PM. As a seller on eBay I dislike those few that take advantage of someone looking for a bargain. So here are my suggestions and please feel free to add if I missed something:

01)When looking for a BB on eBay, always take your time, it is your best friend, and be patient. Look for auctions that are more than five days, this gives you time to ask questions.

02)Ask the seller questions, before you bid. A good seller will answer your questions in a timely and honest manner.

03)Look for sellers that take PayPal, Money Order is great, but claiming a Money Order takes longer than claiming with PayPal.

04)Ask the seller for the PIN number of the BB. Call your carrier and verify that it has not been stolen or reported under any insurance. If the unit was reported stolen, some carriers will not let you activate them, so check and double check. Also if the BB was reported under insurance, these units are supposed to be sent back to the insurance, again, most carriers will not activate them. Nextel is one of them. If you’re getting one for Nextel, Call BB Web Support at 866-2658305, they can tell you right away.

05)If they can’t find the PIN, ask for the IMEI, and then do the same as step three. If they still can’t find it, have them go to Options, then Status. If they tell you they don’t have that info, keep walking, and don’t take a chance. Just because you are looking for a bargain, doesn’t mean you want to be taken for a ride.

06)Ask for pictures of the BB with the screen ON. This will help you in the event the unit arrives not as described.

07)BEFORE you buy a BB without a SIM card check with your carrier if you need a special BB SIM card. It’s too much of a pain getting another. A lot of sellers tell you that you can take the one from your old phone, this is mostly true, but BB SIM cards are for BB’s. Also seller doesn’t know what kind of phone you have unless they ask you.

08>Check the sellers’ reputation, this can be seen by the feedback score. Not always accurate. For example, I closed my account after five years, and waited to long to re-open it. So ask your seller questions.

09)Ask the seller if you can contact them by phone in case any problems due pop up. Some sellers are very private and get defensive about this, but good sellers will give you info if they are really on the level.

10)eBay and PayPal have strict policies about sellers not selling what they describe, or for not shipping the item, or not receiving it after shipped.

11)Good sellers offer different shipping methods, always choose FedEx or UPS, their tracking methods are better than USPS, and their claim process is faster.

Hope this helps!

Soapm
06-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Nice faq and great suggestions. I don't know about number 7, I thought a SIM was a SIM?

NJBlackBerry
06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
#7 is not true. Sorry...
BB SIM cards are the same as every other SIM card.

Mark Rejhon
06-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Number 7 is not really necessary -- Yes, you need a special BlackBerry SIM card, but you can get those from any BlackBerry-supported GSM carrier.

Chuck the Writer
06-15-2005, 06:33 AM
When I received the 6750 that I purchased on eBay (the one I eventually turned into the "BlackCherryBerry"), I noticed that there were hundreds of phone numbers and contact information that was still in the unit. I actually tracked down the previous owner and called him directly, just to make sure that I had not acquired stolen property - and also to alert him that whoever was supposed to wipe the Berry's memory did not do so, and to assure him that I would delete the sensitive information.

rcrivera03
06-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Nice faq and great suggestions. I don't know about number 7, I thought a SIM was a SIM?

Thats what I thought too. But when I got a BB for my wife, without a SIM, thinking I could use hers, I was told when I called BB web support for Nextel that we needed a BB SIM card.

Maybe I should have said check with your carrier concerning SIM card switching between the phone you have and the BB you are planning to purchase.

Dawg
06-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Thats what I thought too. But when I got a BB for my wife, without a SIM, thinking I could use hers, I was told when I called BB web support for Nextel that we needed a BB SIM card.

Maybe I should have said check with your carrier concerning SIM card switching between the phone you have and the BB you are planning to purchase.

Same here when I bought my first 6510 I put my i730 sim in and Nextel wouldnt turn it on. I had to go and buy a 32k sim before they would let me turn the phone on and use the data. With the i730 sim I could use the phone and dc but that was it no other functions of the phone worked.

NJBlackBerry
06-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Two weeks ago my wife got a 7100t to replace her Treo 600. Both T-Mobile. Took the SIM card out of the Treo and put it into the 7100t. Came up to gprs/data connection refused (as expected). Had T-Mobile add the BB Data Plan and two hours later she was e-mailing. Same SIM card.

Dawg
06-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Sim card out one smart phone to another smart phone I understand. I went from a regular cell to a smart phone and I had to do what my carrier asked of me because they refused to turn it on.

Soapm
06-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Im still using my original SIM from back when it was called vicestream. I think I started with them in 98. I took the sim from my t610, stuck it in the 7290 then had BB data activated. So the sim thing sounds like a Nextel limitation.

jomalley
06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Same here when I bought my first 6510 I put my i730 sim in and Nextel wouldnt turn it on. I had to go and buy a 32k sim before they would let me turn the phone on and use the data. With the i730 sim I could use the phone and dc but that was it no other functions of the phone worked.

That's weird. The SIM from my i730 went into my 7510 just fine, Nextel turned on the data plan, and I've been using it for phone and data for about a year now.

Joe O'Malley

rcrivera03
06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Okay, I revised number seven. Bottom line check with your carrier. How is that?

Dawg
06-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Well I see one difference in the two mine was a 6510 so maybe it was the BB not just nextelThat's weird. The SIM from my i730 went into my 7510 just fine, Nextel turned on the data plan, and I've been using it for phone and data for about a year now.

Joe O'Malley

stonent
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Also if you're cheap, you can get a Nextel Blackberry and use a prepaid Boost SIM in it. Then use the Reqwireless e-mail client instead of the blackberry client. Since Boost gives you unlimited data, it works out to about 75 cents a day or less since you can by Re-Boost cards on ebay. I think they just e-mail you the reboost code after the auction and you just reboost the phone using that card number:

Boost SIM with 10$ 24.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43308&item=5781407206&rd=1

Boost Reboost cards:
http://search.ebay.com/boost-reboost_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

Nextel Phones:
http://search.ebay.com/nextel-blackberry-case-charger-battery-headset-clip-cable-accessories_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsatitleZnextelQ20blackberryQ20-caseQ20-chargerQ20-batteryQ20-headsetQ20-clipQ20-cableQ20-accessoriesQQsacatZ-1QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

teskew
06-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey check out ebay...they posted their own guide on buying PDA's...

http://pages.ebay.com/buy/guides/pda-handhelds-buying-guide/

yucao
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
I have a blackberry 7100t in colombia and my supplier doesn't want to tell me if this blackberry this free one, free pin
as I can check that