PDA

View Full Version : New to Blackberry

Tarhonky
11-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I just ordered the 8830 from Sprint. I have been told this is the stablest O/S out there today. I currently have a mogul and HATE it. I just was wondering what your thoughts are for this rookie on what to do with this device and what are strong points as i have never owned a bb device. Is there any suggestions on accesories? I got a 4 gb card from sprint for my mogul but I don't know if that will work with my 8830.
Thanks In advance,

WOODY

akosnitzky
11-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The last time I checked, RIM endorses up to 2GB on the cards. However, many users on this site have used the 4GB with no problems

Tarhonky
11-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info I suppose I should have done what I hate most about sprintsusers.com is the poeple that don't use the search lol

WOODY

mgerbasio
11-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I believe there was a thread that someone had a 6gB card working in a 8800.

Regards-Michael G.

wiscaudi
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure about the 8800 (or the 8830 in your case), but the 8820 supports Micro SDHC (HC=High Capacity) cards which will have the capability to go up to 32GB. I'm using a 4GB SDHC card in my 8820 with no problems. I've also read 6GB cards are working fine too.

Dubdub
11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
May I also suggest taking a look at the FAQ before your new BB arrives. That shoudl answer a lot of your questions and provide some helpful tips as well.

rjansen3
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Is to get Jivetalk right away if you use IM programs. Give the 30 day trial a shot. I am also using a nice tool called Berry-a-code, it tells me the city/state of any number not in my phone book. I also have the ESPN launcher. Very handy for following all my sports teams. Opera Mini Beta 4 3 is a great full HTML browser with zooming, very useful for myspace and other pages you want to see in a desktop format. Also, pay the extra $10 a month for unlimited telenav. I love having it, i use it all the time to find places to eat and or get places I've never been. Also, if you are a Facebooker, get the facebook app. Other than that, start getting calluses on your thumbs now, so that they wont be so painful later! 8-) Enjoy your new :bb:

mgerbasio
11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I just ordered the 8830 from Sprint. I have been told this is the stablest O/S out there today. I currently have a mogul and HATE it. I just was wondering what your thoughts are for this rookie on what to do with this device and what are strong points as i have never owned a bb device. Is there any suggestions on accesories? I got a 4 gb card from sprint for my mogul but I don't know if that will work with my 8830.
Thanks In advance,

WOODY

I don't know about the 8830 OS specifically, but the RIM platform is pretty stable. Like all of these devices, you will need to occationally pull the battery to reset as well as soft resets; especially when you start loading up third party software. Strong points over the mogul (I recently bought the similar AT&T Tilt), battery life, keypad, instant email. I loaded Blackberry Connect on the Tilt and I'm going to see how it works this week. So far, I think the battery is going to be a big problem for me and I may go back to the 8800.

Accessories, I have the blackberry skin as I keep my bb in my pocket rather than the case. It also stops if from sliding around my car. For the 8700 I had the extended battery but I didn't get it for the 8800, I just make it through most days. Software, check the Aftermarket Software section. I can't say enough good things about RexWireless' ideaMatrix and todoMatrix. Google Maps, Windows Live, Beyond411 (I use it less now because google and ms have been getting better and faster) are all free, helpful and well written. I don't use IM or multimedia and my SD card was disabled by our IT policy.

Not wanting to get into a WM vs BB thread, why did you ditch the mogul?

Regards-Michael G.

Tarhonky
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
well I was kinda forced, My mogul kept shutting down and in my line of work( fireman) It was no good! So i am thinking since there is such a following with blackberry, there might be better tech support! It should be here any min so I cant wait!!!!

WOODY

Tarhonky
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
one other dumb question....... How do i transfer contact from my mogul to the 8830? HOPEFULLY there is a way!!!!

WOODY

chainsawcharlie
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page)