PDA

View Full Version : Dead Berry

FloridaCrackerberry
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I've had my 8830 for about two weeks. Every once in a while, I'd get the spinning hour glass a little too much, but a battery pull seemed to solve it. I was doing a battery pull at least every other day. Today the hourglass was there almost constantly despite numerous battery pulls. At a certain point, the screen went black. A battery pull would re-boot and make the screen reappear, but all that could be done was rolling the trackball up and down the ribbon. None of the applications would open and I couldn't pull up the home screen. It was like the screen was locked (except for the trackall). Nothing else responded. After a few moments the screen would go black again and the only way to get the screen back was to plug in or do a battery pull. Then the same thing all over again. I spent an hour on the phone with a very helpful tech from Alltel. We downloaded the OS, but restoring had no effect. This guy seemed pretty knowledgable and a number of attempts failed. I haven't downloaded anything out of the norm, so don't know what could be corrupting things.
It looks like I'm headed to the Alltel store tommorrow to swap it out. Has anyone had this kind of thing happen?
A FloridaCrackerberry.

JSanders
11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Greetings, FloridaCrackerberry, welcome to the BBForums.

Being a brand new device, I too would recommend returning and getting a new one.

Otherwise, doing a wipe with the instructions from this link would be wise, and THEN load your OS again.
What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

Good luck.

juwaack68
11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like the device is defective if restoring the OS doesn't work. Should still be under warranty, so the replacement should be no issue.

Do you have a backup of the data?

FloridaCrackerberry
11-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. Not sure how to backup. I assume that would be in desktop manager. I'll take a shot at it and just for fun I'll also try the OS wipe suggested by Jsanders.

JSanders
11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
if you've ever backed up your BB, you would find a "*.ipd" file on your PC.

Good luck.

FloridaCrackerberry
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
It's there. I tried to restore from it and it told me I couldn't because it was a "read only" file. I know just enough about this to know that I don't know enough about it. I have an intuitive sense, however that the BB has gone (to use a techncical term) poo-poo. I'll be standing in front of the glass doors 8 hours and 4 minutes from now to trade it in. Important to me? NAAAAAHHH! Even if it turns out that I can't restore from that .ipd file, there's not all that much stuff on there. I'm hoping, however, that I'll bring home the new one, plug it in and presto......be one with the universe once again.
Thanks.

JSanders
11-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Well good luck... maybe karma is turning in your favor soon.