PDA

View Full Version : 8800 keeps lighting up

Radtn
11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi guru's

Just changed from 8707v to 8800 - even though I lock the 8800 the screen keeps lighting up & down draining the battery - If I lock the 8707 it was black until I touched it again. Only way to avoid it, is to put it in the case.

Probably a setting somewhere....?

Torben

mckinneycm
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Instead of locking the keypad. Try putting it into standby by holding down the mute button on top for a couple seconds. This is the same mode that it goes into when you put it in the case.

Radtn
11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks - but I was hoping for the same functionality as on the 8707 - when you don't touch it, the screen is not on so that you don't have to put it on standby all the time. Strange thing is that my colleagues don't have this problem, indicating a setting on my BB....

mckinneycm
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Try going to Options > Screen/Keyboard > Backlight Timeout

See if that helps you.

greggebhardt
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
When you say "touch it" are you talking about pushing a button or simply touching the device anywhere and it is causing the screen to light up?

If by simply ouching the device and the screen backlight turns on, it is broken.

Radtn
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
sorry, pushing a button - on the 8800 it's lighting the screen on and off and on...

John Clark
11-05-2007, 04:22 PM
That's normal when locked. There is no setting to change it. If you put it in standby by holding the mute button for 1 sec that won't happen.

Jeff H.
11-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Mine does the same thing even if it isn't touched. I will leave it sitting on my desk and it will light up on its own and stay lit unless I turn it off and on again. But then it will still do it again later.... only way to get it to stop for any length of time is to pull the battery. Even that isn't permanent though, it will do it again later, just takes longer before it starts acting up again.

Klotar
11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Ensure that you have no background applications running, such as gps applications, google maps, IM clients, and so on.

triniti
11-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Mine is doing the exact same thing. I upgraded to the Dobson OS and all of a sudden the light started tripping for no apparent reason. It just comes on (like it's about to ring) and stays on til the timeout, goes out and does it again all day and night long and at no set interval. It is killing my battery on a daily basis now when my battery, with heavy talking, used to only need charging every few days or so. This is crazy.

Any lead to get this right would be most appreciated.

Klotar
11-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Again, make sure no applications are active in the background, such as Jivetalk, Google Maps, gps tracking software, Bluetooth, and so on.

Not only will those light up your display due to activity, they will eat at your battery useage -- especially Google Maps, BBTracker, Viigo (if set to a short interval), etc.

Check what's running in the background using the application switcher (Menu key, Switch Application).

CurtC
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Mine was doing that last week, it would stay lit for the 20 second timeout, then briefly go off, then come back on. Later I de-installed an application so it had to reboot, and this fixed it. Sounds like it was likely an application running that was keeping it on, so I should have checked that first.