PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions - 7250

jantman
11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi,

A bit of background - I've been using a Treo 600 for the past 2 years. It's pretty much dead now, to the point that I had to retire it. I'm planning on getting a Treo 700p, btu as a college student (even one working in IT) I don't have the $400 to spend on one at the moment. So, a friend who upgraded gave me his BB 7250.

I have a few questions regarding features that are "missing" and have me very unsettled. Please keep in mind that in a month or two, I'm probably going back to a Treo (unless I really learn to love this thing) so I want to keep everything setup in a way that will sync to Outlook and then to the new Treo as painlessly as possible.

So, my questions:

1) Is there really no way to get the equivalent of a "snooze" button for the calendar?

2) Is there any way to set *different* vibrate alerts, i.e. one buzz for calendar, two for SMS, etc.? I saw some of the free software mentioned on this forum, but couldn't find anything that would handle calendar events.

3) When the phone is in the holster and I get an SMS, it vibrates twice. I pull it out, look at the screen - and it's just how it used to be. On the home screen. No visual cue that the buzzing was an SMS or who it's from. Anything I can do about this?

4) Alerts the repeat - it appears that the 7250 doesn't have them. I noticed a program referenced on this forum - BBAlert, I think - but saw comments that it only handles SMS, not calendar.

Thanks,
J

juwaack68
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the world of Blackberry!

1. Yes, you can set the default reminder on your Calendar to 'snooze' (1 min, 5 min, etc, up to 30 minutes)

2. Yes, you would do that under Profiles, following this FAQ:
How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_edit_my_notification_tones_%28profiles%29%3F)

3. Not sure about this one. Normally when you get a notification of email/sms and you pull it out of the holster right away it will open the email/sms. Never heard of it going to the main screen.

4. Check the Aftermarket forum for different programs, or search this site for a thread titled "Mini Version Tracker".

Good luck!

jantman
11-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the prompt info.

I just need a few clarifications-

1) I'm a bit confused by this, as I don't see an option for it. What I was referring to is when I get a calendar reminder, the popup screen has two options - Dismiss or Open. I'm looking for a third option, the equivalent of my Treo's snooze, that essentially means "remind me again in 5 miunutes".

2) Ok, thanks for the info. Is there any way to change the speed or duration of the vibrations? I have it set to vibrate only for everything (being that the BB lacks the hardware mute button of my Treo, and I can't have it making noise in class) but it takes until the third vibration, a good 5-8 seconds, for me to tell whether it's a phone call or SMS. Any suggestions?

ALSO - I'm using a 7250 with platform 4.0.0. In profiles, there's no option for "number of vibrations" like the HowTo you linked to, just number of tones. I changed number of tones to 1 for calendar, but am still getting 2.

3) When this happened, specifically, I'd gotten a SMS vibration and waited a minute or two before removing it from the holster. When I did remove it, the screen was just where I left it.

Thanks again!

juwaack68
11-05-2007, 05:59 PM
1. Click on the Calendar icon, then click the wheel and click Options from the menu. From the Options list, do you see 'Snooze' listed anywhere?

2. No, no way to change the speed or duration. Sprint has the ability to add an 'extended ringtone' for phone calls, but I'm not sure if Verizon has this option.

3. Ok, then the notification acted as it should. Did you see any new icons at the top of the screen indicating you had a new message or SMS?

jantman
11-05-2007, 09:22 PM
1) No, there is absolutely no mention of "snooze" under "calendar options".

2) Ok. I guess it's just something to deal with until I get the Treo.

3) Yeah, I saw what I now guess is the message icon. It's in the same location that my Treo's voicemail icon was, and I never check my voicemail, so I just got used to ignoring it.

Thanks!