PDA

View Full Version : alltel won't activate

gadgetcrazy
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I bought a new BB 7250 off ebay the other day. BEFORE I bought it, I called Alltel to ask if they could activate my phone without the BB plan. I just want it for PDA functions. The guy I spoke to said that wasn't a problem since I wasn't buying it from them.

My new BB came yesterday and I called Alltel to activate. This guys says they don't do that. I have to tack on the $45 BB plan no matter where I bought it. So which guy is right? Does anybody use Alltel and use their BB without the BB plan?

mixtape
11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
I also ordered a 7250 off of eBay and I use Alltel! What I found out was that since it is an internet ready phone, you HAVE TO HAVE a plan with internet capabilities. They cannot activate this kind of phone soley for...just being a phone (or just using it as a PDA). Since you have Alltel, you'll need to get a Smart Plan which is what I did. The plan I got is $89.99 for 500 daytime minutes and unlimited everything else (texting, internet, 7PM nights and weekends, mobile to mobile) and plus you'll get My Circle. (10 lines to talk to for free)

But yeah, there's no way to have it activated without getting internet. I wanted to do the same thing but now since I have unlimited internet...I've been on it all day. :oops:

If you decide to get the Smart Plan make sure you get the PIN number deactivated. Alltel (and all the other providers, I think) have a BlackBerry internet site that you should register (but I don't know if it's manditory) BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.alltel.blackberry.com). Since the previous owner probably registered on their BlackBerry site, you can't log in without the screen name and password. So, when you go back to Alltel, ask them if they can deactivate the PIN number so you can re-register on the Alltel site.

Sorry it's so long, but this is everything I learned this week because I did the exact same thing. I hope it helps!

Dawg
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I also ordered a 7250 off of eBay and I use Alltel! What I found out was that since it is an internet ready phone, you HAVE TO HAVE a plan with internet capabilities. They cannot activate this kind of phone soley for...just being a phone (or just using it as a PDA). Since you have Alltel, you'll need to get a Smart Plan which is what I did. The plan I got is $89.99 for 500 daytime minutes and unlimited everything else (texting, internet, 7PM nights and weekends, mobile to mobile) and plus you'll get My Circle. (10 lines to talk to for free)

But yeah, there's no way to have it activated without getting internet. I wanted to do the same thing but now since I have unlimited internet...I've been on it all day. :oops:

If you decide to get the Smart Plan make sure you get the PIN number deactivated. Alltel (and all the other providers, I think) have a BlackBerry internet site that you should register (but I don't know if it's manditory) BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.alltel.blackberry.com). Since the previous owner probably registered on their BlackBerry site, you can't log in without the screen name and password. So, when you go back to Alltel, ask them if they can deactivate the PIN number so you can re-register on the Alltel site.

Sorry it's so long, but this is everything I learned this week because I did the exact same thing. I hope it helps!

your lucky they deactivated the pin no other carrier will do that for you.

mixtape
11-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, the rep called Alltel's tech support and then got transferred to BlackBerry's tech support. I believe BlackBerry is the one that does the deactivating. So maybe you can call BlackBerry yourself and they can do it?

Dawg
11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, the rep called Alltel's tech support and then got transferred to BlackBerry's tech support. I believe BlackBerry is the one that does the deactivating. So maybe you can call BlackBerry yourself and they can do it?

Trust me I have when I used to buy used BBs ask around on here there are thread after thread where people just have bricks becuase the carriers wouldnt activate them they wouldnt call RIM either.

ezrunner
11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Why not add bb plan and wait a month or so and call and have it removed

Konanut
11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
You definately can activate the Blackberry you purchased through ebay, as long as it is and always has been a Alltel phone, you do not have to purchase the internet service because the phone is considered coam (customer owned and maintained) same if you were to purchase the phone from Alltel at full retail price, the only time you have to put the smart choice plan on the acct is if you took the sale price of the phone from Alltel. Hope this helps.