PDA

View Full Version : Outlook and BB email synchronisation

english nick
11-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I know that you can't synchronise Outlook and BB emal whilst on BIS. However, trawling through some old threads I came across this:

The short answer is no, you can't sync email from your BlackBerry to/from Outlook.

That said, you can probably accomplish what you want.

First, in your BIS setup, have your email account Auto BCC to the same account as you're setting up. For example if you're setting up the email account ***, Auto BCC ***

Second, set up a filter in BIS to NOT forward emails coming from ***

Finally, set up a rule in Outlook to move all emails from *** to your Sent Items (you might not be able to do this in which case you'll have to make a separate folder for BB Sent Items for the rule to use).

Now when you sync Outlook, it will pull down all your sent items from your POP inbox.

Managaed to do the Auto BCC in BIS setup but can't find where to set up the filter...any help please?

Also, where he says "sync Outlook"...what does this mean? Is this the normal sync via Desktop Manager?

This was the full thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/48652-internet-e-mail-sync-mail-outlook.html#post330780

Thanks for any advice in advance

MadDog_
11-07-2007, 01:13 AM
I know that you can't synchronise Outlook and BB emal whilst on BIS. However, trawling through some old threads I came across this:

The short answer is no, you can't sync email from your BlackBerry to/from Outlook.

That said, you can probably accomplish what you want.

First, in your BIS setup, have your email account Auto BCC to the same account as you're setting up. For example if you're setting up the email account ***, Auto BCC ***

Second, set up a filter in BIS to NOT forward emails coming from ***

Finally, set up a rule in Outlook to move all emails from *** to your Sent Items (you might not be able to do this in which case you'll have to make a separate folder for BB Sent Items for the rule to use).

Now when you sync Outlook, it will pull down all your sent items from your POP inbox.

Managaed to do the Auto BCC in BIS setup but can't find where to set up the filter...any help please?

Also, where he says "sync Outlook"...what does this mean? Is this the normal sync via Desktop Manager?

This was the full thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/48652-internet-e-mail-sync-mail-outlook.html#post330780

Thanks for any advice in advance

When I first looked at this, my first thought was, "HUH?"

I'm running Outlook, on BIS and almost have it dialed to perfection. I just learned something from this post about the filter that may have done it. So, for me, synchronization between my 8310, Outlook, and desktop is perfect.

Just like Bill Clinton said, "it depends on what the definition of "is" is", similarly, it depends on what your definition of "synchronize" is.

What exactly is it that you're trying to accomplish?

english nick
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I guess my definition of perfect synchronisation is that which you get using BES;

1) Send and email from BB and it then sits in your Outlook Sent Items

2) Send an email from Outlook and it is accessible on your BB by delving ito your Sent Items folder

As far as I can make out, neither 1) nor 2) is possible using BIS. The nearest you can get to 1) is using the Bcc facility to copy to your own email address and set up an Outlook rule to put this into your Sent Items. I set this up but it isn't working.....I guess it is something to do with the filter - I don't understand how to set this up so would appreciate advice

Don't know how to do 2)....got any ideas?

Thanks again for help

tobyw
11-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

1 is possible with BIS. I'm not sure of the type of account you're using, but sent items should appear in the sent folder on your mailserver with OWA or IMAP.

MadDog_
11-10-2007, 11:01 PM
For 1), sent messages will be in your server "Sent" folder. If you want it on your Desktop in Outlook, you are correct. "Auto bcc:" is the way to go.

In Outlook, start from a blank rule > check messages when they arrive (from yourself @<hidden> domain), move to "Sent" folder.

I just tried this myself and it works perfectly.

For 2), I'm really not sure how to do this, or if it's even possible. :?

klmgb
11-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Doesn't seem to work for me. I am using a POP3/SMTP? email and the sent items are not showing up on my server account or in Outlook. Part 2 to this. I have 3 personal accounts set up and when I go to each accont/options/email rec.../message services, they all show the same address, no matter which accoun I am in the options for. If I change it foir one , they all change. Is this right, and what is that used for?

MadDog_
11-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Doesn't seem to work for me. I am using a POP3/SMTP? email and the sent items are not showing up on my server account or in Outlook. Part 2 to this. I have 3 personal accounts set up and when I go to each accont/options/email rec.../message services, they all show the same address, no matter which accoun I am in the options for. If I change it foir one , they all change. Is this right, and what is that used for?Umm ... which part doesn't work?

It's not clear to me where you're looking at your accounts from? Are you talking in BB Options on your BB or on BIS?

Do you have "Auto cc:" enabled in BIS?

tobyw
11-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Doesn't seem to work for me. I am using a POP3/SMTP? email and the sent items are not showing up on my server account or in Outlook. Part 2 to this. I have 3 personal accounts set up and when I go to each accont/options/email rec.../message services, they all show the same address, no matter which accoun I am in the options for. If I change it foir one , they all change. Is this right, and what is that used for?

You need IMAP or OWA (and not POP3) as far as I understand it for the BIS service to be able to move messages to the relevant Sent folder on the server.

klmgb
11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
My ISP uses POP3, I have Outlook Desktop app I use to receive the email(personal). I also connect to work email with OWA. The email I send from my BB thru my work account show up in my sent folder in my work account. The emails I send from my BB thru my personal account, do not show up on the ISP mail server account and do not show up in my Outlook desktop app. What Toby says seems to be the way it is working. With that figured out I still wonder about the other issue of ..... I'll start another thread, if needed, after a search

english nick
11-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Ok got it, thanks. With a POP3 account it appears to be impossible to get even close to the synchronisation available via BES.

I'm not in a position to invest in the full BES solution so what about 3rd party BES hosting? Is it any good, does it work, got any recommendations?

Thanks (once again)

tobyw
11-12-2007, 05:47 AM
I don't have personal experience of hosted BES, but others on the forum seem to be very happy with it. Take a look at the sponsors of BBF that offer this. Whilst IMAP/OWA with BIS also doesn't hold a candle to BES, it's better than POP3 - does your e-mail account not provide this? If not, then hosted BES may be a good solution for you - you get a host of other goodies too, like wireless calendar, contacts and tasks sync. :-)