PDA

View Full Version : Sprint 8830 Device locking forced from BES

hscrugby
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
OK, so I have my happy Sprint 8830. (I was happier with it BEFORE BES locked me from google maps, but that's a complaint for our BES group)

They force it to "lock" after 30 minutes. That would be fine, EXCEPT it seems to be thirty minutes. NOT 30 minutes of inactivity. so like I'll be replying to an email, SMS, or trying to make a call. Suddenly I have to enter my password again.
Is this normal? Or is something funky with the way it's interacting with my device? (Aka is there a setting that can get it to 30 minutes of inactivity.)
I'd rather it be FIVE minutes of inactivity than locking in the middle of doing something.

Anyone got any ideas? Or should I start shooting the BB group here with nerf guns? (might go this route to get gmaps back anyway)

JRSCCivic98
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Talk to your BES admins. Should be "inactivity", not just delay period.

juwaack68
11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
The setting in the BES IT Policy that is doing this is 'Enable Long-Term Timeout', which states:

"Specify whether the BlackBerry device locks after a predefined period of time, regardless of whether the BlackBerry device has been idle or in use during that interval."

You could ask your BES Admin, nicely, if they can remove this setting from the IT Policy.... as long as you already have the forced password, this seems overkill, IMO.

Unless you work for the government. ;-)

hscrugby
11-07-2007, 10:05 AM
The setting in the BES IT Policy that is doing this is 'Enable Long-Term Timeout', which states:

"Specify whether the BlackBerry device locks after a predefined period of time, regardless of whether the BlackBerry device has been idle or in use during that interval."

You could ask your BES Admin, nicely, if they can remove this setting from the IT Policy.... as long as you already have the forced password, this seems overkill, IMO.

Unless you work for the government. ;-)

Aight, thanks. I just wanted to ask here, (quasi anonymous you know?) before asking coworkers. I'd rather look like an idiot for not noticing the setting on my own to people on this here intarweb thingie, than people I have to see every day at the coffee pot.

Cheers and thanks for the replies.