PDA

View Full Version : 8820 - two quick questions

pspiegel
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Just got an 8820, I love having wifi in my phone but I have two quick questions..

1. Does Blackberry messenger work over Wi-Fi? It appears to but I can't really tell if it is using EDGE or Wi-Fi..

2. Is there any way to tie in some VoIP service where I can still use my cell phone number but over wifi? I am frequently in a location with 0 cell service (I mean not even GSM), but I have access to wi-fi. It would be great to have access to my Blackberry Messenger and Phone calls over VoIP!

Thanks so much

mckinneycm
11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
1) I don't believe it can use WiFi because it needs to talk directly with the RIM network.

2) I know there are a lot of users that have Skype on their BB for VoIP.

pspiegel
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
hmm, can it not talk to the rim network over the internet? also, is there a way to somehow forward a phone number to skype? so i could set call forwarding and then recieve the calls on skype

mckinneycm
11-07-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't really know anything about Skype, I've just seen it mentioned a lot around here.

When the BB connects to the GPRS/EDGE network, it pulls an IP address from RIM. Therefore I believe that the BB Messenger works on a RIM Intranet and not the Internet (because it's a BB to BB instant messenger). I could be mistaken though....Anyone who knows differently, please chime in.

pspiegel
11-07-2007, 03:41 PM
i am confused about this blackberry messenger over wifi thing.. it seems to work but i can not tell, i found this in a RIM publication

The BlackBerry® 8820 smartphone allows BlackBerry smartphone users with qualifying data
plans to access BlackBerry data services using a wireless network, a Wi-Fi® network, or both
networks simultaneously.
All BlackBerry data services are available through Wi-Fi networks.
• BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
• BlackBerry® Mobile Data System (MDS)
• BlackBerry® Internet Service
• BlackBerry® Messenger
• Personal identification number (PIN) messaging
• Other data services – instant messaging, etc
Having the option to simultaneously access both a wireless network and a Wi-Fi network
allows BlackBerry smartphone users to do multiple tasks at once. For example, a BlackBerry
8820 smartphone user can send email messages using a Wi-Fi network, while conducting a
phone call using the wireless network.

viewable at: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/networks/Accessing_BlackBerry_Data_Services_Via_Wi-Fi.pdf

EDIT: my question was answered by the excellent chart on page 6 of this publication, shows what can and can not be done on Wi-Fi

mckinneycm
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Nice, I like that. It does clear up a lot of things.