PDA

View Full Version : deleting or blocking the Browser application

storelead
11-07-2007, 04:02 PM
i know what the first answers are going to be, and simply hiding the icon will not work for what i'm trying to do.

i don't want to have the browser application on my 8830 at all, and can't figure out how to get it permanently deleted from the device. i went to the service books, and deleted the browser, but it keep popping up anyway.

is there a way to completely delete the BB Browser from the device? if so, how?

thanks in advance guys!

edit: forgot to add that if it can't be deleted, is it possible to block access to the browser application?

wabbit
11-07-2007, 05:40 PM
have you tried wipe the unit then installing the os, but not the net_rim_bb_browser.cod all deleted from the java folder? might work else i dont think you can.

storelead
11-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I haven't done that yet. Is there a step by step somewhere that I can use as a guide? Thanks!

akosnitzky
11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you don't mond sharing, why do you want to dump the browser?

storelead
11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you don't mond sharing, why do you want to dump the browser?

I do mind. It's a little personal. Super-mysterious I know, but that's it. ;-)

wabbit
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I haven't done that yet. Is there a step by step somewhere that I can use as a guide? Thanks!

first backup the device,

then goto your providers website and download the software,

BlackBerry Operating System Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads)

look up your provider, follow links,

your gonna download, it, install it.

also once you downloaded your software, you might want to do a clean wipe,

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

very good tool, to make sure you do a clean install

now once you installed the downloaded carrier software.

goto C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ (gonna be the version you downloaded\ and inside its gonna have 2 folders, gsm or cdma and java, goto the java folder, and find the net_rim_browser files, remove them, from that folder, delete, or move em to like desktop make sure their not present.

start dm, install the os, see if it kills the browser.

edit;
if this dont work you will have to reinstall the complete software package again.

storelead
11-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Wow, awesome. Thanks a ton!

wabbit
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
GL! i dunno if it will work but the bb shows browser or lists it as a 3rd party app, since its pushed through with dm, its locked to be not removed, idk if it will or wont work, but you should be able to remove it this way, what errors happen i dunno.

storelead
11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
so i got this done.

at first i deleted all the *.cod files titled, 'net_rim_bb_browser'.

that was a mistake.

phone powered up w/o a UI. it was just a list of a few apps that couldn't run.. i scared myself thinking i just made my 8830 a paperweight. got that fixed... so i started taking out *.cod files selectivley trying to figure out which file/s controlled the web browser. i came down to 'net_rim_bb_browser_daemon' and sure enough that did it. the browser is no long on my device.

however, i found out that the built in media player is tied into that file also. soo... i can no longer play voice-tags from BB messenger, videos/mp3's/ringtones/view photos or set them as the background image without getting that nasty line on the top/bottom of the screen.

i'm still working on it, trying to get it to be fully functional w/o the web browser. i'll update with anything new that i find out.

thanks again for your help guys!

also, i'm sorry if my lingo is off, i'm still new to the world of RIM. ;o)

greggebhardt
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I know someone who removed his browser, why I do not know and it caused all kind of problems which he discovered over a period of two weeks. He ended up reloading it to cure the problems.

Hope you get it worked out,.

storelead
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
so far it's just been the media player, which can be replaced with third party apps. i would however, like to be able to use the built in manager, since that's integrated into the UI.

do you remember any of the other issues he had?

greggebhardt
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
so far it's just been the media player, which can be replaced with third party apps. i would however, like to be able to use the built in manager, since that's integrated into the UI.

do you remember any of the other issues he had?

I have emailed this person who is a forum member here. I will see if I can get him into this thread.

storelead
11-15-2007, 03:46 PM
I have emailed this person who is a forum member here. I will see if I can get him into this thread.

awesome! thanks!