PDA

View Full Version : Dead 8800

newunit13
11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I recently came into possession of a broken 8800. It was stuck in a loop, where it would come on for a second, the hourglass would spin, then it would reset and start over.

Reading in the forums I tried the walkthrough of:
What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

I was able to connect to the blackberry long enough that it got to a point where it asked for a password. I entered the wrong password 5 times so that it would wipe the blackberry.

As soon as it went to wipe the blackberry, it stopped rebooting... but now it I'm unable to connect to the blackberry from the PC.

When I first put the battery in (or connect it to the computer sans the battery), it will light up solid red (the top light) for about 30-45 seconds then it starts a blinking pattern of

two blinks-slight pause-two blinks-long pause - repeat

Any idea on what I could do to reinstall the OS?

(Just so you know, I work for a company IT department, and I'm just trying to salvage this blackberry)

mckinneycm
11-07-2007, 08:58 PM
If there is no OS on the device, Device Manager will say 'Disconnected' even though you can still load an OS. Install the OS on to your PC, delete the vendor.xml file, connect the blackberry, run Device Manager, and open App Loader. It should ask you if you want to load the OS.

newunit13
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
The computer doesn't even recognize that the blackberry is plugged in now. From the loader I only get the option for COM1, nothing for USB.

mckinneycm
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
It may need to be flashed by the carrier or RIM.

greggebhardt
11-08-2007, 06:11 AM
It could also be broken beyond repair or worth of repair.

VOADAFONES
10-09-2008, 07:00 AM
yes, how to solve this problem.... helppppppp us

ollie-clarke
10-09-2008, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=VOADAFONES;1130330]yes, how to solve this problem.... helppppppp us[/QUOTE

go back to the instructions try it again. it dosnt always work first second or even seventh time but... you never know! i repaired my dead 8320 this way it took 5 attempts. keep trying is my advice.

massaint
10-31-2008, 05:23 AM
you have to install the os installer first ... prepare the 4.2.x version as well for worst scenario (don't install 4.2.x yet)

1. connect your bb to pc
2. open desktop manager and click apploader
3. wait until the PIN shows up ... even if it is only PIN: UNKNOWN ... it's ok
4. you have to click Next, before it went to another reboot, or you can wait for the next loop
5. and do basic procedure for upgrade
6. wait until it finish

if this process failed, you have to uninstall the 4.5.0 OS installer, and install 4.2.x ... and you can do this procedure again ;)

good luck!

panhao6688
11-13-2008, 03:23 AM
the bb is very strong!!believe it,wipe~~~

sh6565
11-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Similar issue - I wiped it using JL Commander, I then run desktop manager (with the appropriate OS installed on my computer - it's for an 8800) and when I run application loader, the blackberry just shuts down, reboots with the red light, is on for a second with the battery with the line through it, then shuts down again, reboots with the red light, then the battery with the line through it, etc... does it about three times and then stays off - I receive the fatal error message. I don't know what to do and I'm racking my brains out trying to figure it out!

JEEPers
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I am having this same issue now. Was doing a upgrade and seems to have bricked the 8800.

Fooled
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Try using JL commander from the command line...

When you use the interface to wipe it it doesnt do what a full wipe would do from my experiences

from the command line you can "attempt" to log in. After 10 fails it will enforce a security wipe of the BB, see if that helps

blackberryguru00
01-04-2009, 02:52 AM
It may need to be flashed by the carrier or RIM.

exactly

vdl68
01-05-2009, 02:52 AM
exactly

Come on!! They use the same program to flash the phone!! ;) Program that was "ONLY FOR OFFICIAL USE" do cough cough... "somehow" get out to the "pubic"8-)8-)

:bb::bb:

krisdee73
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Come on!! They use the same program to flash the phone!! ;) Program that was "ONLY FOR OFFICIAL USE" do cough cough... "somehow" get out to the "pubic"8-)8-)

:bb::bb:

True True True, the guys at RIM have given this to some of us...