PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile Blackberry Suggestions

Belbarid
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
My wife and I are leaving Verizon for T-Mobile soon, but I have a few questions for the BB community at large first, mostly about the differences between the Curve and the 8800.

First of all, am I safe in assuming that the 8800 is basically my 8830? In other words, is my 8830 basically a CDMA-capable 8800?

Regarding the Curve:
How is the camera? I noticed that the Treo 650, the Treo 700 (both previous phones of mine), and the iPhone (a friend has one) boast the same megapixel camera, but the Treo's pictures were always grainy and the iPhone's are very sharp and clear. How is the quality with the Curve?

T-Mobile's site was a little vague (or I had problems searching it), but does T-Mobile offer GPS navigation with either of these phones? My wife drives for work, and while I'm fine with GMaps, she would like a GPS navigator.

How is the battery life on the Curve. Yes, T-Mobile's site lists statistics, but I figure that's only really good for comparing to models. Not telling me about how long I can expect a charge to last. (Yes, I know- YMMV). It's not a huge deal to me. I'm rarely that far away from a my charger at home, my car charger, or my laptop. OTOH, my wife will need a good long battery life. Again with the travels a lot thing.

In essence, if I pay the extra $100 for an 8800, what am I getting? I just don't see it. It seems I'm getting about the same thing with no camera and no Wi-Fi.

It looks like things are really coming down to Curve vs. 8800. Any practical suggestions? Just looking at the stats, it looks like the Curve is the better device. Problem is, the gadget-addict in me sees the higher price tag on the 8800 and assumes that means it's better. :)

JSanders
11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Regarding the 8300 camera, there are a number of threads in the 8300 section of our forum detailing user opinions (and many pictures). I have seen some great photos posted here.

The 8800 and 8310 have built-in GPS. She will likely want a thorough GPS application such as TeleNav ($10/month), unless she/you can find one that is free (Nav4All), remembering that you get what you pay for.

Be prepared to charge your battery about 1x day. in most cases, it can last longer, but with heavy GPS use, it will need additional charging during the day, I believe. if she is drving, there is no reason she can keey it charged regularly as she drives. When I drive and use the GPS constantly, I just keep charging with the auto charger.

The 88xx and 83xx both have similarly equal OS. The size makes the largest difference, along with the camera.

jet66
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Check to see which Curve T-Mobile has, as well. If it is the 8320, it has Wi-Fi, and no GPS. I did a search at their site real quick, and it appears to be the 8320.

snikwad
11-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yeah my boy has a curve with TMo and he has wifi but no GPS.

Quick question, do they make a curve on any BB that have wifi AND an internal GPS?

Helmdawg
11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yeah my boy has a curve with TMo and he has wifi but no GPS.

Quick question, do they make a curve on any BB that have wifi AND an internal GPS?

Nope

Fkmegently
11-08-2007, 09:53 AM
You can add gps (via external puck) but you can't add the wifi. I've been quite pleased with the 8320 Curve from TMo. Like you (gadgeteer) I questioned the difference but the 8800 wasn't available. The buttons are so much easier to use than my former Treo and it (Curve) doesn't feel like I'm carrying a brick.
So far so good with TMo since leaving VZW.