PDA

View Full Version : Does the IMAP-BIS combo really work like this?

ricpac
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
folks: after going through a lot of reading on the Gmail IMAP thread out here and after trying it for myself, i am just as confused as ever w/ IMAP+BIS - so please assist me.

given: i am on BIS (unfortunately, still on 2.0), and have successfully set up my IMAPworkemail; 20 mins after i successfully set it up (note: i got a confirmation email on the BB once i completed the process), all the emails that were sitting on my inbox probably at the time i was setting it up got pushed to my BB.. could well be just beginners luck.

well anyway now here's my question: real-time push does not seem to work on IMAP huh? does RIM have a KB article on this? i tried sending me emails to my IMAPworkmail from my other web-based email accts and at certain times, 5 emails get pushed, some 10, some a little less than 3. i think probably at the time that it did the poll and stuff, how many new messages it sees on the IMAP server are about the same emails that it pushes to my BB. am i making sense at all?

rambo47
11-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I didn't think it would work at all with BIS 2.0. Later versions (2.3, 2.4) were supposed to add this support, among other things.

Berry One
11-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Everyone who uses BIS 2 is on BIS 2.4, there is no BIS 2.0 left.

Real-time push email is not supported for IMAP. Your choices are blackberry email address, GMail or Yahoo email addresses. These do have real-time push email to blackberry.

ricpac
11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
yup, i totally agree; just figured i'm on BIS 2.4; and after reading a lot about IMAP and integration with BIS, i give up; i already have yahoo and gmail set up fine; it's just too bad my IMAP work mail does not have forwarding coz my only other option initially was to have emails forwarded to my blackberry address and set up filters on BIS from thereon. :cry:

thanks all 8-)

tobyw
11-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

Imap was realtime push for a while when RIM was experimenting with IMAP IDLE. This was canned because some servers didn't support idle and concurrent connections causing long delivery delays. Hopefully this is a feature that will make a return in the future though.

ricpac
11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
my hopes are up now, thanks tobyw :smile:

rambo47
11-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I've been whining at Apple to make their .Mac email support the IDLE command, so far to no avail. But there's a growing number of us doing the whining so who knows? Maybe they'll break down and write it in. The key would be to get Steve Jobs to use a Blackberry. Freakin' iPhone.

tobyw
11-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I've been whining at Apple to make their .Mac email support the IDLE command, so far to no avail. But there's a growing number of us doing the whining so who knows? Maybe they'll break down and write it in. The key would be to get Steve Jobs to use a Blackberry. Freakin' iPhone.

Trouble is, as it stands, even IMAP servers supporting IDLE and concurrent connections will not give instantaneous push e-mail as RIM pulled the support for this from BIS because of the potentially very long delays on non-compliant servers.

tobyw
11-11-2007, 11:07 AM
my hopes are up now, thanks tobyw :smile:

I wouldn't get too excited in the short term. Someone on another thread posted a link to the RIM KB article detailing features of BIS 2.5 and this isn't one of them... mind you, I don't think RIM advertised it when it was implemented a little while back, so perhaps it will make a re-appearance! We can hope though ;-)

DaBlackberryBoy
11-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I dont want to post complaints but I have TMo BIS with one GMail account in my BIS and one Yahoo SmallBiz account in my BIS, Yahoo coming through and GMail has not for the last two days in the good ol Land of Oz (Kansas). Anyone else experiencing no email being delivered? It is coming to my account via the web just not to my 8800...

whsbuss
11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I dont want to post complaints but I have TMo BIS with one GMail account in my BIS and one Yahoo SmallBiz account in my BIS, Yahoo coming through and GMail has not for the last two days in the good ol Land of Oz (Kansas). Anyone else experiencing no email being delivered? It is coming to my account via the web just not to my 8800...

Some slight delays with Gmail and google hosted domains but working on my BB.

djm2
11-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Gmail seems fine here in MN.

ricpac
11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
sent a quick note to my gmail and i don't think it's ever going to come through - it's been 5 mins since i clicked on send from the PC :cry:

ricpac
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't get too excited in the short term. Someone on another thread posted a link to the RIM KB article detailing features of BIS 2.5 and this isn't one of them... mind you, I don't think RIM advertised it when it was implemented a little while back, so perhaps it will make a re-appearance! We can hope though ;-)

yes please, let's all hope; the reason why i got my BB was so i can get work email the soonest it touches our mailserver (w/o BES) :?

ricpac
11-11-2007, 05:56 PM
gmail test message from PC: sent 6:45AM, received 6:53AM *8 mins; well at least it's working 8-)

Berry One
11-11-2007, 06:09 PM
GMail test message from office PC: sent 6:09PM received 6:09PM. Under 1 minute, more like under 30 seconds.

To exclude your PC and your ISP as the cause of delays, try sending email from blackberry, from your gmail address, to yourself at your gmail address.

ricpac
11-12-2007, 05:31 AM
folks, when you reply to an email - you wouldn't be able to choose an address on the "send using" field, right? or is there something wrong with my 8320? a battery pull didn't fix it either; i also found out that you can only have control over the "send using" field when you forward a message. is this normal?

i figured this out yesterday when i set up replies-to an email sent from my IMAPworkemail to hit my @<hidden> address for the push; set up IMAPworkemail on BIS to have "reply-to" to my @<hidden>; sent an email to my boss with "send using" IMAPworkemail, boss replied to my @<hidden> address (as expected) and when i replied to his email, i only found out a little later that t'was sent from my @<hidden> address.

forwarding can surely fix this huh? because i can just set my incoming IMAPworkemails to forward to my @<hidden> and reply from there; and i have to make sure that all replies from my @<hidden> would have a reply-to showing my IMAPworkemail on the BIS setup page; that way, there shouldn't be any email directly pointing to my device address (save spam!)

ricpac
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
help? :-(

gameboy213
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Gmail is taking a long time for me as well.... and I am using Pop3 on it, as IMAP has had a ton of issues it seems.