PDA

View Full Version : sprint 8830 compatible with verizon service?

complexx
11-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I need to know this for a fact. I'm about to purchase a sprint 8830 and use it on my verizon account since my sprint upgrade is available now. Will this work?

NJBlackBerry
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
There are many threads on the board about how Verizon will not allow Sprint equipment on their network. I would certainly research this a lot more as I am quite sure that you can NOT do that.

Dubdub
11-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Verizon WILL NOT allow a non-Verizon phone on their network, no matter if it is the same model, such as the 8830.

akosnitzky
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

And in addition, its the network. :-)

Demon
11-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Are you on a BES? If so, then YES you can use your Sprint BB on Verizon's network. I will double check on compatibility for BIS today.

juwaack68
11-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Are you on a BES? If so, then YES you can use your Sprint BB on Verizon's network. I will double check on compatibility for BIS today.

You can NOT use a Sprint BB on Verizon's network. Verizon doesn't allow it.

A BES has nothing to do with whether you can use a device on one network or another network.

penguin3107
11-12-2007, 08:58 AM

BES has absolutely nothing to do with it. Neither does BIS.
This is strictly a carrier restriction.

Demon
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
YES!!!!! You can use it on a BES for data ONLY.

To those that are saying no, where are you getting this information from?

juwaack68
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
You can use a Sprint 8830 on a BES if it has a Sprint data plan. You cannot put a Sprint device on a Verizon's network. Verizon will not activate a non-Verizon device on their network.

The BES has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it. It's the DATA plan. Are you a BES Admin? I am, and so is Penguin.

Demon
11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
No, however I manage a Verizon store and my data rep is here right now giving me this information. He is the one I asked about this and this exact inquiry was part of a recent data training for all VZW reps.

If this information is wrong I apologize, I have not personally activated one, however this is the info passed on to me.

juwaack68
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Please inform your data rep that he is wrong.

If Verizon has started allowing Sprint devices on their network, that is news to all of us.

The BES still has nothing to do with it......

JSanders
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Better triple check it. As a VZW rep, you will learn more around here from end-users than you ever will from a carrier rep.

It won't work.

Demon
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Better triple check it. As a VZW rep, you will learn more around here from end-users than you ever will from a carrier rep.

It won't work.

I have definately learned that in my time here. I surprised our data rep when I showed him my fully functional VZ Nav on my 8830 after he said it wasnt available.

juwaack68
11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
:-) (y)

JRSCCivic98
11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
The CDMA lockdowns for VZW/Alltel/Sprint will end up going away. Sprint just recently settled a lawsuit about their clients not being able to unlock the CDMA radio on their phones to take them to other carriers. Customer service reps for Sprint will now provide customers with the necessary code to unlock the phones, but whether you'd be able to use it with VZW is another question entirely. The most immediate answer is probably no, but that should change as more and more people are made aware of this. Also, keep in mind that VZW (if similarly sued) will probably go with their regular "BS" defense that "Using other carrier phones on their network poses a security risk.". It seems as of late they like using that excuse a lot and stupid people don't even challange its validity. I guess only time will tell.

NJBlackBerry
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Customer service reps for Sprint will now provide customers with the necessary code to unlock the phones, but whether you'd be able to use it with VZW is another question entirely.

So, even with Sprint agreeing to unlock phones, it won't mean anything....

Now, about that GPS....

AndrewAZ
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I need to know this for a fact. I'm about to purchase a sprint 8830 and use it on my verizon account since my sprint upgrade is available now. Will this work?

The issue with this is the upgrade discount with sprint usually requires you to have the phone activated for X amount of time on sprint or you will get charged. So read the fine print.