PDA

View Full Version : Browser Opera Mini

bcreekski
11-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I have looked at the website. What does this add on really do that cannot be done on the BB Browser?

JRSCCivic98
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
A lot, why don't you try it and see for yourself. The RIM browser blows compared to what Opera can do. There are pages that won't even render correctly or even work with the BB Browser that work with Opera just fine. Give it a try, you'll like it.

akosnitzky
11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wow!!!
You can view several more sites that are NOT available on the bb browser because of the java. You can also view sites as they would look on a regular PC. That's just the beginning.
I felt the same way you did. Not I use Opera almost exclusively.

JRSCCivic98
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Even if you enable Java on the BB Browser, it still can't properly render some sites. That's a limitation of the silly RIM Proxy servers you use when you browse via the BB Browser. When you use Opera Mini 4 you're actually still using proxy servers (Opera's), but they properly interpret and render sites much better. RIM needs to hurry up and come to market with full HTML/RTF email support and full browsing. The BB's capabilities are limited in this respect and RIM should be ashamed that it's almost 2008 and they still haven't done anything about it.

Black Magic
11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I downloaded Opera Mini last night..I love it. I've been using it almost non stop since last night around 10pm when I downloaded it. I love it!

akosnitzky
11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I downloaded Opera Mini last night..I love it. I've been using it almost non stop since last night around 10pm when I downloaded it. I love it!

Do you sometimes lose the connection?

Black Magic
11-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Do you sometimes lose the connection?

Yes...I've lost connection like 2 or 3 times today. But I've been on alll day so I guess it's expected. Over all other then losing connection a few times a day, the browser is amazing.

I would suggest to anyone.

akosnitzky
11-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Are you rebooting the device to get your connection back?

Hauser
11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Can anyone verify if the Opera browser can be used over Wi-Fi?

dtdt
11-12-2007, 01:32 AM
I absolutely LOVE Opera Mini 4. I have to admit that I wasn't very impressed with OM 3, but kept it installed on my device just in case. The latest version is AWESOME! Hands down a better browser than BB for sure. I strongly encourage everybody to give it a try. I told all of my BB-toting coworkers about it today, and that's all they were talking about for the remainder of the day.

I have experienced a few moments of non-activity when loading certain sites, but I sum that up to the size of the home page on those sites, like Sports Illustrated, ESPN, CNN. I've been searching, and some sites offer mobile versions, like espn.go.com/mobileespn/index .

I agree that RIM should be ashamed of their snail's-pace to get their software up to snuff with 3rd party apps. You'd think they would corner the market on this. Great device, I love it. Not so great applications that come pre-loaded on it.

Hooray for Opera!!!

SVT Amateur
11-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I just noticed this program appears to be free. I downloaded myself straight from my phone and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Thanks for the info.

wiscaudi
11-12-2007, 11:01 AM
In regards to Wifi functionality, I haven't been able to get this to work properly. In settings, I've switched the protocol from "Socket" to "HTTP" and turned off my mobile network. No go. Wifi access with this browser would be excellent.

There are other threads indicating people have gotten Opera to work over wifi on different Wifi equipped devices.

On another note, I wish Opera would allow you to save images, or select them for e-mail, PIN, MMS, Messenger much like the BB browser. Oh well, small price to pay for "actual" web browsing.

JRSCCivic98
11-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Anyone experiencing NO CONNECTION with Opera as of yesterday? Mine stopped working and battery pulls or reregisters on network don't seem to change anything. Did an uninstall and reinstall and Opera won't even pass the initial steps of finding network connectivity on it's initial launch. It's very weird.... I had this happen once before and it just went away after a week or so if I remember correctly. I'd much rather find the exact cause though.

wiscaudi
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Working for me yesterday, all this morning.

wabbit
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
i wish they would run flash sites :( soon i hope an incorporated flash player would own...

we can only dream...

Black Magic
11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I haven't tried battery pulls yet. I'm doing that now and I'll see if it works. Does anyone know why you lose connection every now and then?

Thanks for the tip about battery pulls ;)

(y)

livspop
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I finally just uninstalled it last night because the connection seems to just "stall" after a while. I don't really know how to explain other than it will just give me the "connecting" message for ever and ever. The arrows in the upper right are going crazy (mostly like its downloading info, not uploading). If I exit out of Opera Mini the arrows continue to go beserk until I do a battery pull. Also, until I do a battery pull, I'm unable to connect using the standard BB browser.

This happened when I had the last beta and I would pull the battery and it would be OK for a while, then start doing it again. After about 2 weeks, I started to get a "Failed to Connect to the Internet" message when I tried to start Opera and it wouldn't even try to load pages anymore. So, I just dumped the application. Version 4 worked for me last night until these annoying hangs started again....

It's too bad because I love the application and the way it renders pages, but i can't deal with the hanging.

Black Magic
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I finally just uninstalled it last night because the connection seems to just "stall" after a while. I don't really know how to explain other than it will just give me the "connecting" message for ever and ever. The arrows in the upper right are going crazy (mostly like its downloading info, not uploading). If I exit out of Opera Mini the arrows continue to go beserk until I do a battery pull. Also, until I do a battery pull, I'm unable to connect using the standard BB browser.

This happened when I had the last beta and I would pull the battery and it would be OK for a while, then start doing it again. After about 2 weeks, I started to get a "Failed to Connect to the Internet" message when I tried to start Opera and it wouldn't even try to load pages anymore. So, I just dumped the application. Version 4 worked for me last night until these annoying hangs started again....

It's too bad because I love the application and the way it renders pages, but i can't deal with the hanging.

I'm having some of the same hang ups. But there not as often as you describe.

Does anyone know why it disconnects so frequently?

bcreekski
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Seems that I got this thread going and have tried the software. I have similar problems with long connect times. The BB browser connects quicker for some reason. I am have no explanation.

akosnitzky
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

I haven't tried battery pulls yet. I'm doing that now and I'll see if it works. Does anyone know why you lose connection every now and then?

Thanks for the tip about battery pulls ;)

(y)

I don't know if the issue is why but how do we get it to stop?
I am needing to do a battery pull after every 15 min of use. Maybe there is a workaround???

akosnitzky
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM

By the way, I have also posted my concern about the connection problem on their forum website and have gotten no response.
If something changes, I will certaintly share.

wabbit
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))

I noticed that it just hangs weird part is if you try it later don't reboot/etc it starts to work again.

akosnitzky
11-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))

I noticed that it just hangs weird part is if you try it later don't reboot/etc it starts to work again.

interesting. The problem is still convenience. How long did you wait in between?

wabbit
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
i normally try it an hr or 2 later, it starts working.

JRSCCivic98
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Well, my Opera still doesn't work. Weird. The damn thing just stopped working yesterday for no reason.

Black Magic
11-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Hmm..Battery pulls have been working for me. Hopefully they'll fix this little issue soon.

Hey if you get a response from there forums, I would love to hear what they say. Thanks!

JRSCCivic98
11-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Problem with mine is that it cannot find a gateway out via VZW's BS network.

dtdt
11-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Mine doesn't really hang...it just takes 10-14 seconds to start loading any page...kind of annoying, but I, too, love the way it renders pages, and will continue to use it for now. Maybe the proxy server is overloaded do to the number of people now using it?? ...perhaps Opera is looking for investors to help them improve their product? What do I know.

I hope this gets fixed; it is 10 times better than the BB browser in every way except this problem.

akosnitzky
11-13-2007, 06:40 AM

I also notice that my network gets messed up in sending e-mails once I use the Opera browser.
So I can't wait the two hours. :-(

I also submitted a bug report where they only respond if they have a question.

I am willing to pay if they get this thing to function

Allow me to be tactful in saying I may not want the prettier girl if she is NOT going to be sociable after dinner.

livspop
11-13-2007, 08:54 AM

Allow me to be tactful in saying I may not want the prettier girl if she is NOT going to be sociable after dinner.

Pretty, sociable girls are overrated. As far as I'm concerned, the less talking after dinner the better. ;-)

However, I agree wholeheartedly about Opera Mini. Looks damn good, but if it's not "putting out," I'm not interested.

Blackberry Guru
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I keep getting a 533 exceeded limit for this connection error, other than that I like this full featured browser. It is a great alternative to the BB browser.

akosnitzky
11-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Pretty, sociable girls are overrated. As far as I'm concerned, the less talking after dinner the better. ;-)

However, I agree wholeheartedly about Opera Mini. Looks damn good, but if it's not "putting out," I'm not interested.

What about 3.1?? Not as pretty but may give you more of what you need.

akosnitzky
11-13-2007, 05:40 PM

I installed and now uninstalled the 3.1. Distinctly different from 4.0 in my opinion.
I just hope they could either improve their product or share a workaround with us.

livspop
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
3.1 gives me a "Failed to Connect to the Internet" message and won't work. I'll be interested to see whether that starts happening to you after you've been using it for a while.

akosnitzky
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM

3.1 gives me a "Failed to Connect to the Internet" message and won't work. I'll be interested to see whether that starts happening to you after you've been using it for a while.

The 4.0 is far superior to 3.1 when functioning appropriately in my opinion
I sent a PM to one of the moderators on this site you seems to be a guru with this program. My hope is that he will be able to offer a helpful suggestion for us.
Maybe we have to wait for the 4.1 program????

attweco
11-14-2007, 04:05 AM
While the new Opera browser certainly renders sites more nicely(minus animated GIF's) than the BB browser does, the endless nuisance of battery pulls as the price for using Opera just doesn't make it worth while for me.

Luckily for me, all the sites I visit regularly have "mobile" versions, so I'll live without Opera until they resolve the connection issue. At least the BB browser is stable. But I agree with the other posters that it's well past time that BB developed a better browser.

JRSCCivic98
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
But I agree with the other posters that it's well past time that BB developed a better browser.

Email RIM and tell them that. They still live in the past where they think text email is awesome! As a matter of fact, everyone should let them know that you want current browsing technology.

jimmymac_nyc
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't think it's a matter of them thinking text emails are awesome. I think it's a matter of HTML emails being a much higher security concern. It's fairly easy to deliver a virus/trojan through an HTML email and much harder to do through a text email. At least that would be my guess.

Plus, as far as opera mini goes it seems sort of cool but most of the sites i seem to go to have a mobile version and work just fine on the bb browser. for the most part i don't need a website rendered exactly like it would be normally, I just need the information as quickly as possible.

/my .02

bcreekski
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Even before starting this thread, I have been trying to use Opera Mini. While the BB browser is "clunky", it actually does a good job of accessing and showing most of the sites that I prefer. I find Opera not as useful if I have to set each site to "mobile view" which is what you get with BB. Perhaps I am missing something but for now I will return to BB and hope that it and Opera will be improved.

rockerz71
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to get Opera to be the browser that links from emails open in without having to copy the link from the message, open Opera, and pasting the address?

Thanks

akosnitzky
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM

I won't rant and rave. I like Opera because to get as close to what I might find on a PC.
Don't just focus on RIM, let's see other step up and gives you some competition.
Right now with an unstable Opera for many of us, all we have is the bb browser (like it or not)

lonfairless
12-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I have loaded mini opera 4 onto a 8703e with Verizon. It seems to be functioning very well. However, in trying to logon onto to a web logon screen after entering a user name and passcode, the <login> button does not light and i unable to scroll to it. Any ideas??

chandra8800
12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
One of my friend gifted me Blackberry 8800 which was originally from Cingular and it is unlocked now. I am using this device in Nepal and my service provider name is 'Spice Nepal' (www.spicenepal.com).
They do not have 'blackberry internet service' so they could not make settings in my device. So I make the settings as we do normally for other devices and run GPRS and phone.
The phone is unlocked so it works nice. After I set up GPRS it also work in third party software like 'OPERA mini' but the problem is:

1: in the top of menu, it write "edge" which should write as "EDGE"
2: in the top middle, it write "Data connection refused"
3: I could not open browser as it say: "Your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the browser on your device." When I contact my service provider they say, they do not have 'blackberry internet service'. I have GSM and GPRS service from those service provider but it does not work.
4: When I try to send email using my device: It say sent using 'Desktop (secure)' and status became pending.

Does any one have solutions how I can set my blackberry properly and work all these things using my blackberry. I love to work on it.
Please advise

akosnitzky
12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I have loaded mini opera 4 onto a 8703e with Verizon. It seems to be functioning very well. However, in trying to logon onto to a web logon screen after entering a user name and passcode, the <login> button does not light and i unable to scroll to it. Any ideas??

If not to personal,
What is the site? Maybe it is not related to Opera.

lonfairless
12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
If not to personal,
What is the site? Maybe it is not related to Opera.

I am a bit reluctant to post the URL but subsequently have tried on the OM PC test page with the same results so it likely is the login page or a OM navigation tip needed??
THANKS.

akosnitzky
12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Understood.

mrjerome
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I have looked at the website. What does this add on really do that cannot be done on the BB Browser?

It can view the website as it does on a desktop.
You can go into secured sites, such as bank websites.

That's just my 2 cents