PDA

View Full Version : Can I block unsolicited calls?

bencccc
11-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey everyone,

I've had three annoying calls today trying to sell cheap mobile calls and competitions to win things. Can I set up my 8707 to ignore calls from private/anonymous callers?

I contacted my provider today and they told me that they can't and won't block such calls unless it is a specific number.

I'm running version 4.2.1.94.

Thanks Ben

MysteryMember
11-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Black & WhiteList, by iSoft. I love it.

jeremyckitching
11-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Also, you may be able to add your cell phone number to the National OptOut list, so that telemarketers can't call you. Do a search for it on Google. I added my main phone line and my BlackBerry phone number.

crisambo
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Also, you may be able to add your cell phone number to the National OptOut list, so that telemarketers can't call you. Do a search for it on Google. I added my main phone line and my BlackBerry phone number.

JK, OP's profile show VFone as carrier... i doubt if they have DO Not Call List outside US . . . would be interested to know if opt out list exist outside of US...

bencccc
11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
JK, OP's profile show VFone as carrier... i doubt if they have DO Not Call List outside US . . . would be interested to know if opt out list exist outside of US...

Yes, I registered my mobile and home phone yesterday. However, the website for the governing body mentions that it may exclude calls from government research departments and international telemarketers as they say it is almost impossible to block them out.

VFone said that they can block ALL international calls but seeming as my father-in-law lives in California I don't think he's be happy, but didn't stop me from blocking my mother-in-law who lives here in Australia :-)

Black and Whitelist..what a brilliant bit of software!

SugarDaddy
11-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Hey everyone,

I've had three annoying calls today trying to sell cheap mobile calls and competitions to win things. Can I set up my 8707 to ignore calls from private/anonymous callers?

I contacted my provider today and they told me that they can't and won't block such calls unless it is a specific number.

I'm running version 4.2.1.94.

Thanks Ben

I think you can. I remember there were settings on the BB that let you accept calls only from the people in your contacts list.

However, those who call you on the regular basis, but aren't in your contacts, they will be ignored as well.