PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Browser VS Internet Browser

enrogue
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Considering that choosing "Blackberry Browser" rather than "Internet Browser" in the Browser application (and/or choosing BES rather than BIS in other data-based apps like TeleNav) means that internet data is routed through your BES server at work (presuming you have one), AND that presuming this would therefore slow down the data flow to/from the Blackberry device when using the Browser (or Telenav, etc) - WHY would anyone choose Blackberry Browser (or BES for other data-based apps) ????

Excuse the ignorance.

EnR

penguin3107
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
WHY would anyone choose Blackberry Browser (or BES for other data-based apps) ?

They might not have a choice.
That might be the only option available to them.
For example, we force all of our users to use the BlackBerry Browser on their device and block the Internet Browser provided by the carrier. This gives us logging capabilities so we can audit the traffic and monitor web usage.

I also would question your assumption that using the BES connection over BIS would result in a performance degradation.

kurizma
11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Considering that choosing "Blackberry Browser" rather than "Internet Browser" in the Browser application (and/or choosing BES rather than BIS in other data-based apps like TeleNav) means that internet data is routed through your BES server at work (presuming you have one), AND that presuming this would therefore slow down the data flow to/from the Blackberry device when using the Browser (or Telenav, etc) - WHY would anyone choose Blackberry Browser (or BES for other data-based apps) ????

Excuse the ignorance.

EnR

They can access intranet sites through the BlackBerry browser as it's routed through the BES.

Nater
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Quick question while we're on the subject, is the Blackberry Browser WAP?

hl2k
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Maybe I'm incredibly stupid, but why do you need a data plan for the browser at all? On any ANY mobile phone prior to the BB, I was able to browse websites, limited, yes but it was browsable...

or am I just missing something and completely noobish :D