PDA

View Full Version : USB Data Cable

johnling
11-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Has anyone tried a digital camera cable to sync USB? The ends are the same on two of mine. I don't know what the pin outs are on the BB or the camera cables. However, they are basic communication cables. Brfore I turn my phone into a brick I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried.

squeff
11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Should be fine. I do it all the time. Of course, if you camera has a non-standard cable, I suppose it could do damage. Unlikely, since USB is supposed to be a standard.

JSanders
11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
If you use it to connect your BB to the PC, open DM first and if the BB shows connected, you should be good to go.

johnling
11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
It's a very tight fit. I don't think I'll risk it.

MeatLoafT
11-14-2007, 01:21 AM
It's a standard USB-mini USB cable, interchangeable with any other that has the same "mini" end. I use mine for my WD Passport drive because it's longer than the one that came with it.

JGBerry
11-14-2007, 01:32 AM
it's a standard USB cable...sheesh

calflyer
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Is there a mini usb cable that can be hard wired into the 12v car system? It would have to incorporate some minor circuitry to drop the volts down to 5v which the blackberry power is? If not, I was thinking about using the appropriate cig lighter plug charger (which presumably does the voltage drop), install it via a pig tailed cig lighter plug behind the dash but I would not want to use the heavy curly cord of that vehicle charger to come out of the dash so would need a thinner, mini usb extension cable to feed out to the phone mount location. This seems like kind of a kluge of wiring though so if anyone has a simpler idea, I'm all ears.

monkeypaw
01-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Lots of different car adapters out there. Some have straight cables.

You could also try an cig lighter USB adapter and run the nice straight usb cable from that. Even flush mount the usb connection to the dash and then it'd be a generic usb charging port. Or splice a straight usb cable to the adapter plug wires.