PDA

View Full Version : Delete mail ONLY from BB, not Outlook?

mwexler
06-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I am using the redirector and outlook, no BES. I sometimes get mails in my BB that I want to delete, but I don't want to deal with them in Outlook yet. That is, they can sit in my inbox for a week and I'll deal with them when I get back, but I dont want them in my BB anymore.

How can I delete them from the BB without having them be deleted from Outlook when I "reconcile" mail?

Also, a friend is using a forward to the blackberry webmail, and he likes that it can be set to delete all mail older than, say, 30 days. Is there a way to simulate that with the above: Removing mails older than, say, a week, from the BB without removing them from Outlook/Exchange? Every trick I've tried, when I reconcile, the mails get deleted in Outlook as well...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Michael

tgray
06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
You can purge all emails by highlighting any of the day banners (todays would read Sun, Jun 19, 2005), wheel click and select "Delete Prior". This will purge all email prior to that time from the BlackBerry ONLY - it will not reconcile to your email if you choose the "delete prior" option.

Rancor
06-20-2005, 12:04 AM
How can I delete them from the BB without having them be deleted from Outlook when I "reconcile" mail?
On Handheld: (version 4)
Messages =>(wheel)Options => Email Reconciliation => set Delete On to either prompt or handheld and set On Conflicts to Mailobox wins.
** the mailbox wins can also be set from the Desktop Manager:
Intellisync => Configure email => (make sure "syncronize moves & deletes" is selected and "Mailbox wins" is also selected just below that.

Is there a way to simulate that with the above: Removing mails older than, say, a week, from the BB without removing them from Outlook/Exchange? Yep, just like tgray said, with the "delete prior" feature when you click in the wheel while a date header is selected.

mwexler
06-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Thank you both. I will test with delete prior (forgot about that clever one!)...

However, I don't think that "on conflict" will be the solution; I've played with this one and found that it works differently than I expected. While you would think it would work the way you describe, my experimentation implies that if the mail is manipulated in one source <i>and not in the other</i>, then its <b>not</b> a conflict, and the change wins.

This means that if I haven't done anything to the message in outlook, deleting in bb is reconciled by deleting in outlook. Othewise, how could one ever use the bb to clean up mail? Now, if I move the message in outlook to folder1, but delete the message in bb, outlook will win (with these settings) and move it folder1. I also don't know what "manipulation" means. For example, if I simply read the message in Outl, but delete in BB, does the message stay in the inbox with these settings? That one I need to test.

I'll play some more, but I wish BB were more upfront with how reconciliation worked. I also wish there was a "prompt" instead of the Mbox vs. BB only options they have now.

Thanks again for your ideas; I'm learning lots this way...

Best, Michael

Rancor
06-20-2005, 02:06 AM
If you do;
Messages =>(wheel)Options => Email Reconciliation => set Delete On to prompt.
Then when you delete an item from the BlackBerry you will see a little prompt
"On Mailbox & Handheld" <-- deletes on both
"On Handheld" <-- deletes ONLY from the handheld (leaves msg on server)
"cancel" <-- just that
select the situation you desire - bingo!

Perhaps not in your own case, but the confusion is usually caused when deleting from the mail client if sync is set to moves and deletes and mailbox wins.
In this case mail will always be removed from both (if working how it should) unless deleted items folder is emptied before a reconciliation, then the message will be stuck on the handheld untill you remove it manually.

mwexler
06-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks, all! The "delete before" from the date-bar worked fine, and the prompt approach is also a great option choice.

Thanks again, really very helpful!

Best,
Michael