PDA

View Full Version : Helppppp

Wiganbiker
11-20-2007, 07:46 AM
I have just bought my son a Blackberry 7230 for xmas off ebay, I have no instructions on its use and no software for it is there anything i can download to help me set it up for him ready for xmas??

Dawg
11-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I have just bought my son a Blackberry 7230 for xmas off ebay, I have no instructions on its use and no software for it is there anything i can download to help me set it up for him ready for xmas??

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page)

Start here

penguin3107
11-20-2007, 07:50 AM
The BlackBerry 7230 documentation is on the Blackberry.com website here:
Livelink - Redirection (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=348666&objAction=browse&sort=name44)

You can also browse through Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com) for some good information on getting started.

Make sure you add a BlackBerry Data Plan to whatever line of service this 7230 will be used on.
Also, since the device was purchased on eBay, it's likely used. It could potentially be hobbled by a corporate IT Policy which you may need to remove.

There's instructions on Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com) for IT Policy removal should you need to do it.

Wiganbiker
11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Oh lord i feel out of my depth already on this and normally i am ok at sorting things like this out

Wiganbiker
11-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Can i also download games or browse the web on it as it said i could in the description but so far i have not seen how to do that

ezrunner
11-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Its not nearly as complex as it looks/sounds. Just go one step at a time! Besides if you need help you are already a member of the best BB resource available here at BBF (just my opinion of course)

ezrunner
11-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes you can download games and such but this will require an BB data plan! The 7230 doesn't have a lot of on board memory so you are limited and it also runs on GPRS which is slower than EDGE!

aiharkness
11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

EZ beat me to it, but I'll repeat him just for emphasis: Take a deep breath and break the big problem down into little problems. My advice is first thing look at the article at blackberryfaq.com on buying a used blackberry in order to see what issues you may be facing. And get a blackberry data plan on the device account. Then see what you got and go from there, tackling one thing at a time.

Dawg
11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
also this is an older device so its not going to have all the bells and whistles the new devices have.

aiharkness
11-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Wiganbiker, how is it going? Are you making progress?

Wiganbiker
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi sorry not had a chance to do a thing spent the last 24 hours at hospital so i aim to tackle how to set this thing up i have a horrible feeling i have bought something my kids wont be able to use

aiharkness
11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No explainations needed..... I just want you to know there are people here interested in helping you get things working the way you want..... Keeping in mind the blackberry isn't a gameboy, I think it could be fun for you son as far as the mobile communication capabilities with friends, so long as dad is picking up the tab....

Wiganbiker
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I got the phones for both kids mainly to learn to send sms and added bonus of a game as they both use mine and my wifes phone for playing games. I understand they have limits I just have this sinking feeling that i have done the wrong thing, oh and I will be picking up the tab for them both :cry:

Dawg
11-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I got the phones for both kids mainly to learn to send sms and added bonus of a game as they both use mine and my wifes phone for playing games. I understand they have limits I just have this sinking feeling that i have done the wrong thing, oh and I will be picking up the tab for them both :cry:

Games arent a strong point of the older BBS Good luck

Wiganbiker
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
help needed i have put my sim card in for my phne service provider i have asked it to send me the settings which it hasnt done. I have set up a blackberry email acount but the only place on the phone screen anthing remotely to do with the web or email is the 1st icon which says enterprise activation i have entered the blackberry email account and password and all its saying is activatinhg.

Across the top of the screen it has a message just under the clock saying data connection refused.

I dont even know how or where to browse the web with it

Thatzmister2u
11-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Did you purchase a Blackberry Data Plan? If you want to use push email and other BB features you will need it. If you are only going the Internet, SMS and phone route you will need a data plan and to download Opera Mini for your internet browsing.

Can you make a phone call or send a text?

aiharkness
11-21-2007, 06:30 PM

I don't want to flood you with info; better if one person talks to you about one thing at a time. But I need to add that you are not using BES (i.e. Exchange). Do nothing as far as BES is concerned.

Thatzmister2u
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM

I don't want to flood you with info; better if one person talks to you about one thing at a time. But I need to add that you are not using BES. Do nothing as far as BES is concerned.

Aiharkness....Feel free to take the controls! I am going to get a jump on the traffic. Besides I know that the OP will be in more capable hands than mine!

Happy Thanksgiving!

E-

aiharkness
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM

I don't want to flood you with info; better if one person talks to you about one thing at a time. But I need to add that you are not using BES. Do nothing as far as BES is concerned.

Aiharkness....Feel free to take the controls! I am going to get a jump on the traffic. Besides I know that the OP will be in more capable hands than mine!

Happy Thanksgiving!

E-

You're doing good. Just wanted to catch that BES issue.

Wiganbiker
11-22-2007, 03:28 AM
hi i can send sms and make cals from it but i have not bought a data plan this is wheremy ignorance comes in i dont know what 1 is nor where i get it

aiharkness
11-22-2007, 07:45 AM
hi i can send sms and make cals from it but i have not bought a data plan this is wheremy ignorance comes in i dont know what 1 is nor where i get it

You purchase the data plan from same carrier/provider you are using for the voice service. I'm not super familiar with prices, but there might be a standalone price for data service only with no voice, and a price for a data service added to a voice plan. T-Mobile, as an example, provides blackberry data service for rougly $20/mo on top of voice plan. There is also a data-only plan, I understand. So, call your carrier or visit their website to find out what they offer and for how much.

To repeat what has already been posted, for clarity, the blackberry data plan is needed for the native blackberry data functionality, such as the blackberry browser, email, PIN messaging, etc. There may be data service (as opposed to "blackberry data service") that can be purchased from your carrier, and I understand some are making use of the opera mini broswer in that way. But you will not have blackberry data functionality without the blackberry data plan. With no data plan at all, you just have the phone.

On the BES (or exchange) versus BIS terminology, you will be using BIS, if you choose to purchase the service. BES involves integrating the blackberry with a corporate exchange server.

In short, no data plan at all, you have just the phone. As you say, you can make calls and send texts. But no internet, and no email.

Added: Look at post #2 and follow the link to blackberryfaq, also.

Wiganbiker
11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
i have just phoned my phone network provider and just been told that the phone is mainly for contract use not pay as you go. and o2 over here dont have any data plans for blackberyy pay as you go. so i have definately bought them and cant use them as intended

Dawg
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
O h I didnt realize you were trying to do pay as you go. Most of us could have saved you the trouble.

aiharkness
11-22-2007, 08:36 AM

That's too bad, Wiganbiker. Dawg is right..... The pay-as-you-go fact would have been good to know up front, but live and learn.

Wiganbiker
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks Folks for all help i didnt know it made a difference anyway take care all of you.