PDA

View Full Version : Facebook pushed by Rogers or RIM?

SamBerry
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I woke up this morning and there was a Facebook icon in the number one spot on my screen. I am not a Facebook kind of guy. 8-)

I could not delete it, but succeeded in hiding it.

Anyone know where this came from and how I can delete it?

greggebhardt
11-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I do not blame you. I would be p|ssed if it popped up on my home screen and could not delete it! How much space does the program take? You should be able to get rid of it, I dumped PTT!

David.Burke
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I woke up this morning and there was a Facebook icon in the number one spot on my screen. I am not a Facebook kind of guy. 8-)

I could not delete it, but succeeded in hiding it.

Anyone know where this came from and how I can delete it?

Is there a service book associated with it? I just did a battery pull and didn't wind up with anything new from Rogers, Facebook or otherwise! :>

Adam79
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I got it too. I thought it came on the unlocked AT&T 8820 I fired up for the first time this morning, but when I put my second line sim in my 8800 the F came up on it too. Definitely new...

RegisteredUser
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I am not in favor or RIM/Rogers pushing out Facebook shortcuts like that for users to install Facebook on the Blackberry.

There are few incidents in our work place where a few users would call in sick just so he/she could meet up some girl/guy he/she met on Facebook and other online dating thing. Another incident is when users claim they were too busy to deal with the work given to them when they were busy chatting online and surfing to Facebook and online dating.

It was obvious that Facebook and other social networking sites were causing our workers to be unproductive and revealing too much company related confidential information.

It was ultimately decided to block users from surfing to online dating and facebook websites. A mandate was sent out and users were made to review and sign the company policy. As a result, workers became more productive.

Now, with Facebook being on Blackberries, it just encourages our users to be irresponsible in their work again.

Now we have to wait for the latest SP update for our BES in order to effectively block Facebook through our BES. After all, these are company issued Blackberries and everything they surf to, we know. Every calls they make, we know.

jeffmik
11-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Telus is pushing it to Pearl and 8830 users as well.

SamBerry
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes, David.Burke, you were right.

I found it under service books and deleted it. Also deleted Google Talk while I was there.

Thanks!

Oderus
11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
One of my users came to me with the same story. Rogers/RIM has pushed the Facebook link without actually installing the software. You can remove it under service book (Thanks David) but this really pissed me off that something VERY unrelated to work would get pushed to a device used for work.

I'll be emailing my rep with Rogers and give them hell for allowing this.

Oderus
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Man, the world is a small place. As I was typing my email to me rep declaring how pissed I was, I was sent this email before I even had the chance to send it.
-------------------------------

Hello,

We wish to bring your attention to a new application that has been launched by RIM – Facebook for BlackBerry smart phones, as well as the Facebook icon that will be added to new devices.

The reason for this communication is to advise administrators of the new icon (in case they receive questions) and also to remind them that they may choose to create a BES security policy.
Facebook for BlackBerry smart phones allows Facebook users to connected to family and friends. Customers can download the Facebook for BlackBerry mobile client from the Facebook Mobile site (m.facebook.com) or from BlackBerry (www.blackberry.com). Also, beginning November 19, 2007, customers who activate a BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry Curve, or BlackBerry 8800 with a BlackBerry Data Plan, will be able to download the Facebook for BlackBerry mobile client from their BlackBerry homescreen by clicking on the Facebook icon.

If you do not wish to provide access to the Facebook for BlackBerry client or the Facebook mobile internet site, your IT Administrators have the ability to block access via a security policy through the BES Administration Console which would impact all existing and future subscribers or specific groups of subscribers.

The Facebook icon will display on any device supporting 4.2 handheld code for the following scenarios:
Power up
Desktop sync
Upgrade handheld code
Replace battery or SIM card

If you require assistance on how to block Facebook for Blackberry and other BlackBerry Internet Solution services please contact the Rogers Enterprise Service Centre at 1-877-939-3282.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.
------------------------

Yeah I did. Why was this pushed without our approval?

Assholes.

Jase88
11-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Carriers--particularly those without unlimited plans--like to entice you to access services that will increase your data consumption...

omkhar
11-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I am not in favor or RIM/Rogers pushing out Facebook shortcuts like that for users to install Facebook on the Blackberry.

There are few incidents in our work place where a few users would call in sick just so he/she could meet up some girl/guy he/she met on Facebook and other online dating thing. Another incident is when users claim they were too busy to deal with the work given to them when they were busy chatting online and surfing to Facebook and online dating.

While I agree that Rogers et al are out of line pushing FB and other apps on to the BB, I think employees calling in sick to meet Facebook buddies may be a sign of a deeper, non BlackBerry/Facebook related issue.

Have you locked down their browsers as well? CDROM Drives? Disabled USB Mass Storage? How tight do you keep the "technology blinders" at your company?

I mean seriously, at some point you have to assume your user base will act like adults. Perhaps instituing a fair-use policy ?

Or maybe I'm asking too much ;-)

RegisteredUser
11-22-2007, 07:49 PM
While I agree that Rogers et al are out of line pushing FB and other apps on to the BB, I think employees calling in sick to meet Facebook buddies may be a sign of a deeper, non BlackBerry/Facebook related issue.

Have you locked down their browsers as well? CDROM Drives? Disabled USB Mass Storage? How tight do you keep the "technology blinders" at your company?

I mean seriously, at some point you have to assume your user base will act like adults. Perhaps instituing a fair-use policy ?

Or maybe I'm asking too much ;-)

Nope. It's not asking too much. Removing the FB shortcut from the Service Book is no problem. But it's not going to stop the user from connecting to the PC, download and install FB application straight on to the Blackberry.

We've already implemented Content Filtering to filter out non-work related categories for PC users.

Unfortunately, the way BES works for surfing the Internet on Blackberry....ALL our blackberry users uses the BES service account for surfing the Internet. It is either this or that if we were to incorporate Content Filtering Policy on it. And that will raise a stink for the rest of the users just because of a few bad apples.

This is where BES's IT Policy and ACCESS Control comes in. For those few bad apples, I can set up a customized IT Policy and configure ACCESS Control just for those group of few bad apples. But the overhead in adding the PULL Items are a pain in nark when there are over millions of websites of possibilities. I am not a friggin' Nanny so please behave! :x (sorry, had to rant)

RegisteredUser
11-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Looks like I spoke too soon. The IT Policy's Access Control Pull Rules is not working properly.

The other solution I can think of is to use the Application Control Policy like we used for the Daylight Savings Time change.

One problem. I cannot find the ALX and COD files for Facebook to use on the BES's share folder as reference to disallow the application from being installed on the Blackberry.

Is there a way to extract the ALX and the COD from the Blackberry with Facebook application installed to it?