PDA

View Full Version : GPS Still Disabled on the Blackberry 8830 (Verizon)

mobilegeek
11-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I can't believe Verizon now released VzNavigator while keeping the GPS disabled on the phone. They disabled a feature on the phone so that they can charge for it later. They told me on numerous occasions that they were going to enable it eventually through a software update. Does anyone know whatever happened with that? In my opinion, this is just bad business.

DustySlider
11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually works on mine. You sure it's not a setting you haven't enabled yet? You have to turn the GPS Services to location on.

VZ Navigator is working pretty decently for me. On OS .176 and VZ Nav 2.9.7

John Clark
11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I doubt you'll see the GPS opened for 3rd party apps. I recommend just getting a bluetooth puck and forgetting about it. They work fine.

BFEINZIMER
11-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB8830VZW: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

OMG. Seriously I really cared about this. Hell, first time posted, but I was in talks with the lawfirm that handeled the V710, we even sent a letter to VZW's CEO letting them know about impending legal actions. Because I posted a question on some forum before I bought the phone, they decided not to proceed. My point, I really cared. Now its old. So we all know Verizon has their ways of pissing us off but let's bury it.

wabbit
11-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I can't believe Verizon now released VzNavigator while keeping the GPS disabled on the phone. They disabled a feature on the phone so that they can charge for it later. They told me on numerous occasions that they were going to enable it eventually through a software update. Does anyone know whatever happened with that? In my opinion, this is just bad business.

verizon never said they would enable gps on the phone, they did say vznav is in making for gps needs.

yes the update, does not allow 3rd party apps to use, get gps positions, the gps chipset, they from playing with it, seem to be using the qualcomm gps and triangulate the position, since gps is way off with vz nav.

BFEINZIMER
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Yea, thats the other thing, VZ Nav sucks. I added it and played with it today. Bad maps and doesent update location too well. Went back to my puck w/TeleNav

jsntrenkler
11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
VZNav seems to be working pretty well for me, it is off a couple feet, but the turn by turn directions are fantastic. I just traveled from Tucson Arizona to a new Time Share in Las Vegas Nevada, and VZNav took me there without issue. It even re-calculated the directions a few times for me automatically "Decided to make a pit stop" ... I am very happy with VZNav, for the price it works well ... Heck a hour ago we were craving dinner, we just typed in "Italian" and it listen all the italian restaurants around us, and gave us turn by turn directions with just a click of a button.

JRSCCivic98
11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Heck a hour ago we were craving dinner, we just typed in "Italian" and it listen all the italian restaurants around us, and gave us turn by turn directions with just a click of a button.

Yeah, I can do the same thing with InfoSpace, along with movie places, entertainment, etc. Best of all, when it lists all these places it will even pull up the phone number associated with it and I can dial it to call the place up to make reservations and stuff. All for free.... except the GPS stuff which would be nice. I'm boycotting VZNav.... All you people buying the subscriptions to VZNav are just hurting the chance of VZW opening up the GPS. Good job! :thumbsdown:

Ghosttrunks
11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I can do the same thing with InfoSpace, along with movie places, entertainment, etc. Best of all, when it lists all these places it will even pull up the phone number associated with it and I can dial it to call the place up to make reservations and stuff. All for free.... except the GPS stuff which would be nice. I'm boycotting VZNav... f dat isht. All you people buying the damn subscriptions to VZNav are just hurting the chance of VZW opening up the damn GPS. Good job! :thumbsdown:

I definitely agree with boycotting VZNAV!!! It's not like we don't like it. It's the fact that Verizon has CONTROL of our phone and restricts GPS and\or any other things, just the way they want us to use it. We should be able to use the GPS like everyone else that has GPS. Think about it. Everyphone that has GPS are able to be used while JUST the 8830 from verizon is blocked. Seriously what is the point of having a GPS chip if its blocked and not used to its full potential.
Verizon shouldn't care what we use on our phone cause as long as we have a verizon phone means we have their service. Verizon must be a$$es. BOYCOTT VZNAV!!! :x

kirwoodd
11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I can do the same thing with InfoSpace, along with movie places, entertainment, etc. Best of all, when it lists all these places it will even pull up the phone number associated with it and I can dial it to call the place up to make reservations and stuff. All for free.... except the GPS stuff which would be nice. I'm boycotting VZNav.... All you people buying the subscriptions to VZNav are just hurting the chance of VZW opening up the GPS. Good job! :thumbsdown:

I agree, free would be so much better; but come on, its $10/month. If its that painful, then go to another provider who has the gps unlocked. I pay ~$170/month for my phone right now, so whats another $10?

gjg
11-23-2007, 02:22 PM
$10 here....$10 there and all the sudden your paying $170.00 a month for a phone!!!!

kirwoodd
11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
$10 here....$10 there and all the sudden your paying $170.00 a month for a phone!!!!

yeah,
well,
I can't argue with that.
;-)

stevenmz
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree, free would be so much better; but come on, its $10/month. If its that painful, then go to another provider who has the gps unlocked. I pay ~$170/month for my phone right now, so whats another $10?

true......true....I'm at $140. month and I travel quite a bit. VZNAV is something I can"t be without. Additionally, VZ has the best network in the business. Unfortunately they are quite aware of that fact. Hence the $10. fee to go along with the who gives a crap attitude.

mschiano
11-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Are there any services for GPS on a BB that don't require a monthly fee? I'm fine purchasing a GPS puck, but to pay a monthly fee? I'd rather skip it.

dtdt
11-23-2007, 05:31 PM

lol. Reminds me of the Tommy Boy quote:

"Twenty dollars for the rent...hmm...maybe instead they'll spend it on the whores!"

too funny

rta53
11-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Are there any services for GPS on a BB that don't require a monthly fee? I'm fine purchasing a GPS puck, but to pay a monthly fee? I'd rather skip it.

If you have a Bluetooth puck you can use applications like BB Maps, Google Maps, & Live Search without a monthly fee.

mschiano
11-24-2007, 12:56 PM
If you have a Bluetooth puck you can use applications like BB Maps, Google Maps, & Live Search without a monthly fee.

Really? That's great. But how is it compared to the monthly fee type services?

rta53
11-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Really? That's great. But how is it compared to the monthly fee type services?

Well it varies. Basically you can get turn by turn directions similiar to what you would get with Google maps and Mapquest on your PC. Doesn't give you dynamic directions, you have to manually select the next turn. Still nice to have. If you are trying to find a restuarant near your location you can do that too.

EvanDM
11-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I have the .176 and vz nav 2.9.8 and it is not working for me. Whenever I open it, it just closes. Any ideas? Location is on to.

Devius
11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
What is a GPS puck and where can I get one??

scooper321
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Not on VZW. Check out AllTell, ATT, etc. I think Sprint can even be made to use Google Maps for free?

aviationwiz
11-24-2007, 11:05 PM
What is a GPS puck and where can I get one??

A GPS Puck is a Bluetooth GPS Receiver. While I have yet to receive mine, I ordered the Holux M-1200 (http://www.semsons.com/homblgpsrewi.html).

Devius
11-25-2007, 01:21 AM
A GPS Puck is a Bluetooth GPS Receiver. While I have yet to receive mine, I ordered the Holux M-1200 (http://www.semsons.com/homblgpsrewi.html).

So I would have to carry this thing around along with my BB??:-(

aviationwiz
11-25-2007, 04:56 AM
Correct, you would need to carry this around with you whenever you wanted GPS.

kirwoodd
11-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I have the .176 and vz nav 2.9.8 and it is not working for me. Whenever I open it, it just closes. Any ideas? Location is on to.

If you are certain that Location On is set, then I would suggest calling Verizon and making sure that they have enabled it on their end.

John Clark
11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
So I would have to carry this thing around along with my BB??:-(

I use this one that hangs on my keychain. Works great!

Freedom Input Ltd - Home (http://www.freedominput.com)

SheepDog
11-25-2007, 10:54 PM
wow John; thats neat! Right now I'm giving 10 bucks a month to sprint after doing it with Nextel for two years. I could have had that long since paid for!

Triforce66
11-26-2007, 07:23 AM
I use this one that hangs on my keychain. Works great!

Freedom Input Ltd - Home (http://www.freedominput.com)

John, which one do you have / recommend?

Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 MTK Receiver or Freedom Keychain GPS SiRF III Receiver for a 8830 VzW user?

greggebhardt
11-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB8830VZW: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

OMG. Seriously I really cared about this. Hell, first time posted, but I was in talks with the lawfirm that handeled the V710, we even sent a letter to VZW's CEO letting them know about impending legal actions. Because I posted a question on some forum before I bought the phone, they decided not to proceed. My point, I really cared. Now its old. So we all know Verizon has their ways of pissing us off but let's bury it.

As Verizon never promissed you GPS, what are you going to say in court? You are just mad becasue you failed to do your homework!

Spamdumpster
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
As Verizon never promissed you GPS, what are you going to say in court? You are just mad becasue you failed to do your homework!

I agree with this 100 percent. I'm sick of whiny threads regarding this issue. If you don't like Verizon's service (including the GPS policy), switch providers. If you need help weaseling your way out of your contract, see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel). ;-)

yester18
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM

yes they did, there is pictures of advertisements shwoing GPS. not AGPS for Vznav...

Now, I'm kinda shocked on how other people with other providers seem to think that we are way out of line with this......

Think of it this way, it another carried advertised something on a phone they were selling then decided to have it turned off.... Would you be upset....

mschiano
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
@<hidden>,

do you have links to these pictures?

JRSCCivic98
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
yester18, don't listen to all these other people man. It's easy for them to talk crap when they are on a different carrier. The problem with most areas is all these other GSM carriers have a crappy signal and I'd rather have good signal then none. However, that does not mean I'm willing to just take it when my carrier decides to charge for something that they have no business charging for. However, the more and more I research and dig through this hardware on the phone and it's software the more I'm finding that "true" reasons as to why VZW is charging for this. Seems that the GPS in the CDMA versions of this phone is really a Qualcomm chipset or somehow tied into the CDMA Qualcomm radio because the minute the switch happens to GSM GPS is also turned off... and yes, that includes E991 GPS as well. How you like them apples? (not that it really matters because it's not like you're going to dial 911 in Europe, lol) However, the fact remains that Sprint and other CDMA carriers don't charge for GPS (be it limited to the chipset/network or not) so what gives VZW the right? Capitalism?... Forget that, I say fight them. They charge enough for their plans, GPS should be included!!!

CanuckBB
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
SUE!!!!

yester18
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
@<hidden>,

do you have links to these pictures?

yes I will post them up sometime this week..... They are floating around online also.....

keep you posted...

mschiano
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
cool. i was always under the impression that gps would be available only as a verizon addon (for a fee).. i guess being with verizon so long, i kind of assumed they'd want to rape me for more money...

but if they were advertising one thing, and doing another, then i'm in agreement with most of you guys

JRSCCivic98
11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
cool. i was always under the impression that gps would be available only as a verizon addon (for a fee).. i guess being with verizon so long, i kind of assumed they'd want to rape me for more money...

I rest my case your honor... the innocent public speak their minds and the truth about Verizon's tactics. :lol:

NJBlackBerry
11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
And the horse beating continues.

Dawg
11-26-2007, 06:48 PM
And the horse beating continues.

as long as some of these guys are breathing they will beat it. They dont know how to leave issues alone they just whine and whine and whine.

My 17 year old daughter doesnt whine as bad as some of these men here.

NJBlackBerry
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
My 15 year old daughter does.

XVZINJVX
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM

but if they were advertising one thing, and doing another, then i'm in agreement with most of you guys

http://www.rimarkable.com/images/8830_with_gps.jpg

gotCory
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM

Had the same issue today! After getting the new SW version, I had to remove the VzNav SW I installed and re-d/l and installed. That did the trick.

However, I was very upset on the phone w/ VzW tech support re: GPS blocking for 3rd party apps. I said if I pay $10 for the VzNav, you got your $10/mo, could you please enable the GPS to also work on 3rd party apps? Of course they would not (I don't expect a feature change for one customer), but I thought I would put in a formal complaint that they disabled the device's built-in feature (an expensive device that I just purchased) just to secure an extra $10 revenue per user that wants GPS functionality, and even when paying that, they wouldn't consider allowing the customer to also use the GPS with other S/W.

1. I am calling to cancel the VzW in protest.

2. Let's talk abut hacking the block.

John Clark
11-28-2007, 12:32 AM
1. That's a fine idea.

2. That's not a fine idea. The block can't be hacked. It's been tried and everyone has failed. That's the beauty of Blackberry.

amarryat
11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Has anyone taken a Verizon 8830, activated on Sprint, and then used the GPS? Should that work? And has anyone done the reverse?

Triforce66
11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Incase you guys have not read the GPS forum, check out the post for Google Maps 2.0. Seems you don't need to pay for GPS as long as the towers can find you.. just an FYI..

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/107012-google-maps-2-0-01-a.html

amarryat
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Incase you guys have not read the GPS forum, check out the post for Google Maps 2.0. Seems you don't need to pay for GPS as long as the towers can find you.. just an FYI..

Thanks for the tip!

Dawg
11-28-2007, 08:02 PM

yeah I started playing with that today

kdog1176
11-28-2007, 08:22 PM

I have been impressed so far by Google Maps 2.0.

Dawg
11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I love the address book feature