PDA

View Full Version : VZW 8830 and GPS

kirwoodd
11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
So I finally did it.
Went to verizon wap site, followed the link to vzw navigator, followed the directions. :)
Install the latest software on the phone, download and install navigator, call verizon and have them enable it.

Pretty easy. The only minor issue was that I forgot to go into options... GPS... and set the GPS Services to Location. Once I did that it worked perfectly.

The GPS is pretty unimpressive overall, but one cool thing is that it seems to note where you are so that if you go into a building it will show you the last known fix. OR they may be using that new uber sensitive chip set, dunno. Either way, it was nice. I have only played with it for all of 10 minutes, but there doesn't seem to be speed, trip computer, etc. The local search is pretty cool, also has auto dial of places it finds.

All in all, I think that its worth the $10/month. Should it be free? Sure, I like free.

jsntrenkler
11-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I enjoy it as well .. Great stuff

mrjerome
11-23-2007, 10:13 PM
It works great, i don't understand what all the complaining is about. VZ Navigator works great in my area, Jacksonville Florida, the sunshine state. Its better than 95% of the navigation systems out there. I love the local search feature, I was in an area in Jacksonville that is newly built and I needed to find an ATM, it found several about 5 minutes away with excellent turn by turn directions. My TomTom didn't show nothing but VZ Navigator was more up to date but I just bought the TomTom only 3 months ago.

yester18
11-23-2007, 11:20 PM
the only place it shows speed is under follow me map. then go to location info... But that is what a speedometer is for right....

dtruchan
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Now make it work all over the world and it might be worth the $10 a month.