PDA

View Full Version : Missing email after wipe and re-activation

jscottharmon
11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a VZW 8830 that was misbehaving (rebooting spontaneously). Before I return it, I wanted to try wiping the device, re-activating it and give it a chance with a fresh start / second chance.

I use a hosted exchange service, successfully got through the activation process but not all of my emails are showing up on the BB. New emails are showing up, but existing emails prior to the new activation are not appearing. Tried "reconcile now" but that didn't work.

My first post...thanks for the help.

Scott

Dubdub
11-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't think you can get "old" mail as that is already tagged as being sent. Only new mail from the last push should show up.

If you need the old mail, I think the only option is to send it to yourself.

Or perhaps contact the hosting service and ask them?

juwaack68
11-25-2007, 10:11 AM
The only way to get them back now is to either send them to yourself or restore from backup.....do you have a backup?

The BES will pre-populate a certain number of messages for a new activation. I would bet your device wasn't removed/readded on the BES when it was reactivated, therefore it wasn't considered a 'new' activation....

pinhead
11-25-2007, 02:15 PM
That is one of my big complaints about the way BlackBerry devices handle email. there is no way to synchronize old mail (prior to device activation) to the device. I really love how MS Direct Push allows me to have the email inbox sync ALL old mail, or just one month or two weeks back...as well as have all new mail pushed.

John Clark
11-25-2007, 06:21 PM
If you intend to wipe the device then I suggest making a backup first. Then wipe the device. Then before starting EA you can restore just the Messages database to the device and then reactivate on the BES. Then you'll have a clean device but with all your emails.

d_fisher
11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Others agree with you, but the BlackBerry is designed to deliver your current messages to you. Its not designed to be an archival device.

jscottharmon
11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Appreciate the information, this was very helpful!

Scott