PDA

View Full Version : Go Daddy 2-way sync in BIS

whsbuss
11-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I've been trying the godaddy email and I noticed that 2-way sync does not work. In godaddy's web mailer reads/deletes do not update the blackberry like Yahoo does. According to their web site:

The integration, when used in conjunction with Go Daddy Web-Based Email, allows users to send and receive their email using a BlackBerry® smartphone. As email messages are read and deleted from either the smartphone or the Go Daddy Web-Based Email, the message status is synchronized between the BlackBerry smartphone and the Go Daddy mail box. Email messages sent from the user’s BlackBerry smartphone will appear in their ‘sent’ folder online.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

o1sowise
11-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I have an 8820 on AT&T and my goDaddy e-mail has been syncing (both ways) for more than a month.

It takes a while. I've experimented by sending two e-mails to my BB.
The first one, I deleted on the BB.
The second one, I deleted on the Server.

Shortly thereafter (sometimes quickly, sometimes hours later), they are both gone from both places.

whsbuss
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I have an 8820 on AT&T and my goDaddy e-mail has been syncing (both ways) for more than a month.

Really? I don't think its BB specific. Once configured in the BIS it should be 2-way. Is the sync from the web-based email instant to the BB?

whsbuss
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I wonder if its carrier specific. VZW's BIS doesn't seem to work.

Dubdub
11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a go-daddy account configured on BIS. Email reconcile is about 75% if it is deleted on the BB it is usually deleted (75% of the time anyway) deleted in the go-daddy account - as long as the mail hasn't been downloaded to my Outlook account.

It never shows as being read, however.

whsbuss
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a go-daddy account configured on BIS. Email reconcile is about 75% if it is deleted on the BB it is usually deleted (75% of the time anyway) deleted in the go-daddy account - as long as the mail hasn't been downloaded to my Outlook account.

Okay that's about what I see. Reads/deletes on the BB happen within 20 seconds. But I never see a sync from the web mailer to the BB. It sure does not do what their press release states.

Berry One
11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
I have deleted email from my GoDaddy inbox in their web mailer, checked next day and it was not on my blackberry.

So, a sync from GoDaddy to blackberry does work but, perhaps, not that fast as from blackberry to GoDaddy.

whsbuss
11-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I have deleted email from my GoDaddy inbox in their web mailer, checked next day and it was not on my blackberry.

So, a sync from GoDaddy to blackberry does work but, perhaps, not that fast as from blackberry to GoDaddy.

Okay. Thanks for the update. If I have to wait that long its not worth using GoDaddy. Yahoo is almost instant 2-way sync.

goughjustin
11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
wow i didnt know my godaddy was a 2 way sync....

i just looked and it seems like it does...great

DiRN
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM

If you switch to GoDaddy's IMAP server (rimimap.secureserver.net), it will.

whsbuss
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
If you switch to GoDaddy's IMAP server (rimimap.secureserver.net), it will.

Please explain what you mean. When configuring a Godaddy address in the VZW BIS it automatically sets up the rimimap.secureserver.net at port 143. I never get a read/delete sync from the Godaddy web mail interface to my BB..... messages just sit there unread/red LED flashing.

Berry One
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Okay. Thanks for the update. If I have to wait that long its not worth using GoDaddy.

I don't think anyone forces you.

We have now push email for domains hosted by GoDaddy. It is critical feature and great that now it is available for more than Yahoo and GMail.

DiRN
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Please explain what you mean. When configuring a Godaddy address in the VZW BIS it automatically sets up the rimimap.secureserver.net at port 143. I never get a read/delete sync from the Godaddy web mail interface to my BB..... messages just sit there unread/red LED flashing.

After reading a message on my BB it will appear as read if I check GoDaddy's web mail. I've never really tried going the other way.

whsbuss
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
After reading a message on my BB it will appear as read if I check GoDaddy's web mail. I've never really tried going the other way.

Deletes from the Godaddy web mailer takes hours before it's deleted on the BB. I sent a support request to Godaddy and they told me the problem was a setting on my blackberry! Thet are clueless..... wireless reconcile is automatically set whenever you configure an email account on the BIS.

JSanders
11-29-2007, 02:28 PM
It takes hours for Gmail server deletions to reach the BB, so GoDaddy is up-to-par! :razz:

whsbuss
12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Anyone having issues w/Go Daddy? I tried to setup an email address in the BIS and it kept failing. So I decided to do a manual setup using the rimimap.secureserver.net server. No dice.

Then I tried to ping it and its not responding. So anyone configured for Go Daddy - are you receiving your emails?

o1sowise
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8820/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

It works fine for me (using AT&T). Has been for months.

whsbuss
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8820/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

It works fine for me (using AT&T). Has been for months.

Well its not working for me. I continue to get the account setup error message in the BIS when I try to add my go daddy account. No problem accessing it from the go daddy webmail.

ablickle
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
No problems with GoDaddy imap here either. I had to to the manual setup, since the automatic setup went to the POP server, but I have been on imap for a week without problems.

T-Mobile 8320

whsbuss
12-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just got the account setup in the VZW BIS using the auto config.

avitez
12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I had the same problem (bis using the pop email settings not the imap settings.) You have to call your service provider, have them connect you to RIM and then the RIM tech has to reset your account. Apparently, the RIM servers remember your settings. Once RIM resets your settings, the imap settings will work properly. Andrew

AllanRosen
12-22-2007, 01:16 PM
2 questions:

1. Am I correct in understanding that this thread does not in amy way pertain to the syncing of contacts? I assume that Godaddy BIS does not sync contacts.

2. Our company email will soon be hosted by Godaddy. Right now we use somebody else--- email delivery to my BB is not instant, so instead I now forward my email to Google, which is instant. After our email switches to Godaddy, should I still forward to Google, or is it now better to just get BIS direct from Godaddy?

Forwarding to and replying from Gmail works great with one exception-- when somebody sends me an email and I respond, the email says something like "From XXXX@<hidden>, on Behalf of Allan EEEEEEEE". This happens even though I have set up my gmail account that all message sent by me from gmail should appear as though they are coming from my work email address, which is not the gmail. I wanted the gmail address to be invisible and it's not---- from articles I've read, apparently you can't make it invisible.

All of that being said, should I continue forwarding my mail to Gmail after we switch to Godaddy, or is there no longer any advantage?

JSanders
12-22-2007, 01:48 PM
1. No contact syncing YET outside of BES.

2. You should not have to continue to forward to Gmail, but you may. Some are saying the GoDaddy push is instant. I have not tried it, about to.

dwp1975
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I have used GoDaddy since day one of having a blackberry to get my person design company's branded email come to my device, I really haven't seen much difference after they announced the push, what I did notice was the read receipts and that the email at times comes in almost instant but at other times it comes in as normal as it did before when it was polled at 15 minute intervals.

Dodge DeBoulet
12-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Since I reconfigured for GoDaddy's IMAP, push has been virtually instantaneous. Very impressed!

I was previously configured for POP, and that performed just like every other POP service.

machiavell1
12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Since I reconfigured for GoDaddy's IMAP, push has been virtually instantaneous. Very impressed!

I was previously configured for POP, and that performed just like every other POP service.

Do you get read reconciliation or folders with Godaddy and bb? And how do you find Godaddy web email generally? Does it refresh emails in your inbox instantly as they arrive (like Gmail does) or do you have to manually check for new mail?

I am thinking about whether Gmail is up to scratch or not...

Thanks in advance!

Dodge DeBoulet
12-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Do you get read reconciliation or folders with Godaddy and bb? And how do you find Godaddy web email generally? Does it refresh emails in your inbox instantly as they arrive (like Gmail does) or do you have to manually check for new mail?

I am thinking about whether Gmail is up to scratch or not...

Thanks in advance!

I don't store my email on GoDaddy's server; my primary email client is Outlook and I download everything (much easier to index/search that way). I also don't use Folders on GoDaddy, so I can't address that. I have noticed that messages read on my BlackBerry show as read in the Web client, but I don't use the web client that much. Can't say whether it refreshes automatically or not, sorry; I don't stay logged on that long.

machiavell1
12-29-2007, 08:24 AM
No matter - that's actually quite helpful. Many thanks!

ablickle
12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I have been using GoDaddy webmail for a few years and I am pretty happy with it. Messages opened or deleted sync almost instantly to webmail (using imap). Messages sent from BB show up in sent folder on webmail. Messages deleted on webmail usually take a while to delete on BB, sometimes as long as 2 hours. I don't think message read status on webmail syncs to BB, but I am not entirely sure.

I use folders on my webmail, but the only thing I see on the Blackberry is the Inbox, not any of the folders. That can be an issue if you have rules that automatically dump certain incoming messages into folders. If I do want to see all folders, I usually go to "webmail lite" on the BB browser.

I looked at Gmail as a possible replacement for GoDaddy before, but just didn't like the interface as much. For $20 a year the GoDaddy webmail is well worth it to me. They are always adding features and they are pretty responsive to any tech support issues. Their spam filter works pretty well for me, sometimes it is actually a little bit too aggressive, but again that was fixed by tech support. They also have a little desktop notifier program that sits in the tray and alerts you to incoming mail if you like.

ablickle
12-29-2007, 09:35 AM
One more item I forgot... the $20 fee covers 5 email accounts, I use one for my son and the rest for me. I have several addresses that are are forwarded to one account, and I sort them with filters. GoDaddy lets you set up several "identities" so you can reply with different addresses from the same webmail account

machiavell1
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys - that's useful. I just wish Gmail would sort out its read/unread status like Yahoo! or RIM would enable us to use the IMAP functionality of Gmail better, so I could stop hunting around for a new email system.

Slight OT but it's funny that my iPhone (which has some serious limitations....) actually handles emails better than my blackberry in some ways when it comes to gmail! The advantage of the Berry is I get a really well integrated little PIM device, which receives BES and BIS email for work and home emails respectively, accesses the corporate addressbook, and has loads of functionality (messenger, apps etc) together with a media player that (in the latest os 4.3 incarnation) gives my iPod/iPhone a serious run for its money sonically. However, it's the damn iPhone that does read/unread accurately, updates with polled Gmail every 1 min (now I have "tweaked" it....) so acts like push, gives me full glossy HTML and allows me to apply gmail labels. Soooo frustrating as in every other respect I prefer the berry as a well thought out but not so obviously glossy/halo-effect device.