PDA

View Full Version : 8707v Tether?

Frank Castle
11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Anyone had any luck getting tethering to work? Device is unlocked and using a At&t sim. Is Tethering hardware dependant or tied to the SIM?

Thanks!

emill84
11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I beleive that it is dependent on the hardware and on your providor. I use my 8100 as a tether through cingular pretty successfully. Obviously not blazing speed but it does the trick when my BB is too limited. I'll run the steps through here and hopefully it'll do the trick for you? Let me know.

Make sure that you're using DM 4.3, it contains the drivers that create a fake com port for your blackberry. I'm not awesome at "how tos" so bear with my steps but I think we'll get it done. Also, I'm going to make the assumption that you have fairly good PC understanding and skip the "point here" steps.

First you want to plug in the 8707 and keep DM open. Go to device manager and click on "ports" and you should see a couple (maybe just one) RIM Virtual Serial Ports on a COM5 or 7 or 11 or wherever. Once you're sure they are their you tell your computer they are modems.
1. Go to Phones and Modems in the control panel, click on the Modems tab.
2. Click on Add you'll find the modem yourself, don't let Windows detect it, its slow and inconsistent.
3. Select Standard Modem Types and then a speed like 19200 or maybe even 38400 but for some reason you get a 667 error if you select 57600.
4. Click next and assign it to one of the Virtual Ports. Click Next.

NOW You have to add a special string of code to the Modem. SO, click on it once and click the Properties button. Go to the advance tab and add at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular" to that box. Make sure and click OK or apply when you've done it.

Next you create a connection similar to a normal Dial Up connection. Go to network connections in the control panel and add new connection. It connects you to the internet and you want to "set it up manually".

Name it whatever, mine is BB Tether... super original.
These are the settings for the ATT/Cingular set up:

Dial: *99***1#
User Name: WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

Um. I think thats it? I don't think I missed anything, I sort of did it by memory and by looking at the settings I have on mine. Let me know if it works out!

Frank Castle
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
This worked like a dream .. user isn't happy with 115k but it works.

thank you!