PDA

View Full Version : newer update on sprint site?

loulou80
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
has anyone noticed that the 8830 software on sprint.com/downloads is listed as version 4.2.2.322 and blackberry.com software is 4.2.2.240. does anyone have the sprint.com update installed if so is there any noticible difference?

JOVE
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
i have downloaded and installed the new software for the device... First of all i think that the 4.2.2.322 is just the package version and the actually OS version is 4.2.2.176. Secondly, I am not noticing any positives for installing. In fact, I noticed that Viigo, my news and rss reader, (free download, by the way) is no longer working correctly. It will receive the feeds just fine, but clicking on a link or trying to open the feed in the browser, my BB will display "Saving. Please Wait...", close Viigo and return to the Home screen. Just guessing that maybe some apps might not be caught up with this version yet.

d_fisher
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
The newer version allows you to use the builtin GPS with VZnavigator. For a monthly fee of course.

JOVE
11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
wow... Original poster was talking about the new SPRINT os... follow along... Sprint could already use GPS without this update. And for free!

EDIT:
Sorry... Reread my comment here, sounds like I was having a tough morning. Keep up the good work moderators!

NJBlackBerry
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
All of the OS are written by RIM, and tested and released by the carriers. There is no such thing as a "Sprint OS".

AndrewAZ
11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Yea I did it... I hoped it would fix the issue with data connecting losing out in full signal EVDO areas (we have another topic about this)... So far I have noticed nothing different. Still shows OS 4.2.2.176

legends92
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
i have downloaded and installed the new software for the device... First of all i think that the 4.2.2.322 is just the package version and the actually OS version is 4.2.2.176. Secondly, I am not noticing any positives for installing. In fact, I noticed that Viigo, my news and rss reader, (free download, by the way) is no longer working correctly. It will receive the feeds just fine, but clicking on a link or trying to open the feed in the browser, my BB will display "Saving. Please Wait...", close Viigo and return to the Home screen. Just guessing that maybe some apps might not be caught up with this version yet.

I 'm having the same issue after upgrading. :-(

JOVE
11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
All of the OS are written by RIM, and tested and released by the carriers. There is no such thing as a "Sprint OS".

Thanks for your input, however invalid your point may be... We are still talking about someone with a SPRINT phone and what the new OS does for it. Who makes it, where it comes from and which carriers it is for is irrelevant. ;-)

SheepDog
11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm using 4.2.2.123 think their is any need to upgrade? Other than having to stop the connection and restart to get data back sometimes I have not had many issues so far. But I do notice that taking out the battery is a regular chore for the 8830

JOVE
11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Connection to data issue still happens on my update OS... :(

d_fisher
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
wow... Original poster was talking about the new SPRINT os... follow along... Sprint could already use GPS without this update. And for free!Oops! I missed the Sprint part.

TheWuternal
11-28-2007, 01:10 AM
I updated a few days ago with no noticeable changes.

NJBlackBerry
11-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your input, however invalid your point may be... We are still talking about someone with a SPRINT phone and what the new OS does for it. Who makes it, where it comes from and which carriers it is for is irrelevant. ;-)

Invalid point? Nice attack. Good luck with SPRINT.

JOVE
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Invalid point? Nice attack. Good luck with SPRINT.

again, i must apologize, i think i was having a rough morning. i assure you, an attack was not my intention...

RE: Sprint... I have been with every phone company, excluding Verizon, including at&t and cingular when they were separated and now together and I must say, Sprint is the best. For me anyway...

jsntrenkler
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
If it helps, I have noticed some issues with connectivity with that software revision on the Verizon 8830. Viigo seems to work fine, but I will randomly go to 1Xev, 1XEV, & 1X .. It will cycle through these setting throughout the day. The only time Data seems to work properly is when the phone is in 1XEV mode.

Jhhart
12-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I updated with the new OS posted on the Sprint Web site, and I have noticed twice today that while loading a web page I would get a pop up message saying there is no data service offer in my location and to please try again later.

I am at my office where we have Sprint and Nextel signal enhances installed indoors so signal is good. I really didn't think anything of it until stumbling across this posting.

John H
Converted Treo User

AndrewAZ
12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I updated with the new OS posted on the Sprint Web site, and I have noticed twice today that while loading a web page I would get a pop up message saying there is no data service offer in my location and to please try again later.

I am at my office where we have Sprint and Nextel signal enhances installed indoors so signal is good. I really didn't think anything of it until stumbling across this posting.

John H
Converted Treo User

Yep sucks.. Its not a carrier issue since all 8830's suffer from this. Still waiting for a RIM software fix if possible..

SheepDog
12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I am sure it is *high* on their list of priorities. ayup...

mrjerome
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Install the new version of VIIGO and the issues stops, it will works as before. Same goes for other software, I updated the system and installed original versions and they worked fine. I didn't allow the backup software to install, it was a clean install.