PDA

View Full Version : Data Plans

Doll
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I am currently a TMobile customer, and have spotty coverage at home. I'm looking at possibly switching to AT&T but would like some insight into AT&T service regarding Blackberry's and data plans.

I have Tzones now, and when I have service, I can currently check my email via that. Although it's slow and not so user friendly.

I am confused about the data plans...do I need one if I get a Blackberry? Will I not be able to check email otherwise? I'm not thrilled about doubling my cell phone bill from $59.99 to $120, but I'm not sure I understand it all.

Any insight would be much apprieciated!

Doll

chrisb3
11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
I am currently a TMobile customer, and have spotty coverage at home. I'm looking at possibly switching to AT&T but would like some insight into AT&T service regarding Blackberry's and data plans.

I have Tzones now, and when I have service, I can currently check my email via that. Although it's slow and not so user friendly.

I am confused about the data plans...do I need one if I get a Blackberry? Will I not be able to check email otherwise? I'm not thrilled about doubling my cell phone bill from $59.99 to $120, but I'm not sure I understand it all.

Any insight would be much apprieciated!

Doll

With any BB, you will need a Blackberry Data Plan. For AT&T, it will run you $29.99/month on top of your voice plan. If you need to text as well, 1500 messages will cost you an additional $10/month.

Your BB plan will give you unlimited push email for up to 10 email accounts and internet access.

I get great reception here in the NYC area, you might want to tell us where you are so that people from your neck of the woods can comment about quality of coverage in your area.

juwaack68
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Sprint also has a new Blackberry data plan for $30/mo. Gives unlimted BB data/internet, unlimited texting, Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, and a few other things.

Check out their coverage map if you want to see if they will work where you live/work/travel.

Doll
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I live in the northern suburbs of Kansas City, MO. I will need unlimited text messages, and a push of 3-4 email accounts.

Dubdub
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I also suggest that you check out the FAQ as that will provide some good info if you are not familiar with BBs.

TroyDBrown
11-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Also think about a Curve from TMO and use HotSpot at home.

Dubdub
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
The number one criteria for a cell phone should be the coverage. Without a good connection when and where you need it - where you live, work, travel and play - the rest of it is meaningless. Cost, cool phones, data plans, customer service should all be factors, but coverage and connection is the most important IMHO.

Talk to friends, family coworkers and neighbors and see who they have. And don't trust the coverage maps. They aren't exactly correct. Example, where I live T-Mo coverage maps say we should have at least 3 bars, well we have none, zero, zip, nada. The map was based on putting a new tower in which got voted down.