PDA

View Full Version : Re: I wish I stuck with Windows.......

andyphil
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Dear All, Bought a Blackberry 8820 off ebay, its locked to Orange network, which is not a problem as I am PAYG, I was happy to upgrade to a sim only monthly tarrif at £15 calls and £ 10 for Blackberry emails etc. Then told by Orange they cant do sim only on Blackberrys, I would have to buy a phone and transfer the sim to my 8820 for £ 30pm. This telephone is so restrictive on how you can use it for the internet, making it useless as I cannot get it to work as I would like it to be, a telephone and email. I know I should not have bought the thing on Ebay but its too late for that..Has anyone got any ideas how to get out of this mess, I have to say that I thought microsoft was a restrictive company, but Blackberry is a closed shop!!
Thanks
Andrew

Dubdub
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
What are you trying to do with it? And how is it behaving when you try? You need to give us a little more to go on.

If you bought it off ebay, there could be any number of issues. I suggest reading the FAQ, as that might answer many of your questions.

JSanders
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Andrew, sorry you are having problems. As Dub stated, some details would help.,.. meanwhile do check out of the FAQs:
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)
How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_use_BlackBerry_on_Generic_Data_Plan)
What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_are_the_TCP_and_APN_settings%3F)

mrjerome
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Call your provider and tell them you bought an used phone and they should be able to take care of your issues with the phone. Microsoft is a joke!

supercat25
12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe it was on a BES with some restrictive policies that might also be causing some of you headaches. If so I know someone had a way to load a blank default policy wheter or not it works with 8800 series I'm not sure.

ezrunner
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes it will work with the 8800 check the faq it has the instructions for IT policy removal

andyphil
12-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi, Thanks for all your replies, I have now started to have the telephone unlocked from the orange network and move over to O2 which seem to be able to do everything that i want. It takes up to 14 days to get RIM to unlock the telephone so I am in the waiting process now and hopefully I will get to see and use the power of the Blackberry phones. Thanks again, for your time and trouble to help.
Andrew

FUllmer
12-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Depending on what you need to access for work, the Blackberry can be very limited. I am a Citrix user and administrator and there are no good application for this. If you do a lot of remote work, stick to a Windows Mobile 5/6 phone.

I love my BB but please keep in mind that when working with a MS environment, it is best to use a MS based product.

Just my two cents.

Fred

mrjerome
12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Depending on what you need to access for work, the Blackberry can be very limited. I am a Citrix user and administrator and there are no good application for this. If you do a lot of remote work, stick to a Windows Mobile 5/6 phone.

I love my BB but please keep in mind that when working with a MS environment, it is best to use a MS based product.

Just my two cents.

Fred

Microsoft sucks, that's my 2 cents!

jsconyers
12-07-2007, 09:10 AM

Just my two cents.

Fred

We use Citrix to access our servers remotely as well. They do make a 3rd party app to use this from your blackberry as well.

Rove - Products - Mobile Citrix Client for BlackBerry (http://www.rovemobile.com/products/mcc/)

supercat25
12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Was going to suggest Rove as well you can trial the product too.

rta53
12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Andy,

One of the main reasons for getting a BB is because it is non-Microsoft. We all have to do our part. 8-)

jsntrenkler
12-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, we must do our part!