PDA

View Full Version : Email Security

Iceberg
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
This is a take off from a couple other threads writing about email encryption. The discussions included a lot of misinformation that I suppose is based on misunderstanding.

To be truly secure email, or other data, must be secure during its' entire routing from the handlheld through the system to its' destination. Therefore, any security system that does not include the complete routing fails. Since it is impossible to secure the entire public cell system that means there must be an encryption package on the handheld that is compatible with one at the destination.

Now there are ways to secure data in the BB and on portions of the communication system; but not on the whole route.

Bottom line is that for those on a BES email can be encrypted. For those not on a BES there is no way to provide data security other than within the BB itself. I suspect that most BB users are not on a BES.

I've checked every source I can find. If someone has another speak up.

x14
12-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Is there a question?

Yes, with BES data is encrypted (3DES/AES) end to end. BES being one end and the BlackBerry being the other end.

Yes, BIS is in plain text.